Author Topic: Pazz & Jop  (Read 1629 times)

ggw

Pazz & Jop
« on: February 01, 2006, 03:31:00 pm »
The top ten looks a lot like everyone else's top ten:

http://www.villagevoice.com/pazzandjop05/winners.php?type=album

Re: Pazz & Jop
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »
I guess I'm out of step. My personal top 10 placed:

1. 155
 2. 222
 3. 362
 4. 535
 5. 358
 6. 124
 7. 147
 8. 1772
 9. 165
 10 did not place

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »
That reminds me that I really need to check out the Konono No. 1 album.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 08:00:00 pm »
It's almost as if Coachella is the live version of the poll...

The Konono No. 1 is interesting, I need to give it a undistracted listen to fully appreciated it.
T.Rex

snailhook

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:55:00 pm »
pretty weak...i can get behind maybe four of those, konono being one of them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 09:47:00 am »
Can anyone explain what the M.I.A. record has going for it that makes it so noteworthy?  I sampled several of the tracks while at a Borders and the first impression was it sounded like a lame version of "The Milkshake Song".
T.Rex

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 10:02:00 am »
A hot chick?

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Can anyone explain what the M.I.A. record has going for it that makes it so noteworthy?  I sampled several of the tracks while at a Borders and the first impression was it sounded like a lame version of "The Milkshake Song".

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 10:08:00 am »
She's lefty political and British but foreign   ;)  

Some have pointed to an IDM feel to some of the songs. Give it a real spin; those Borders listening stations are hardly better than the transistor radios of our youth and a lot of modern music needs far better than 20kbps to appreciate (for example, next time you're there sample MBV's "Loveless"). I think you'll find much about it to admire (maybe not "U.R.A.Q.T.").

Relaxer

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 10:31:00 am »
I listen to Arular all the time, but usually as background music. It's not interesting enough to play in the car or while I'm working, but it's great to have on at mid-volume while people are over. The beats are pretty good, the songs have catchy segments and loops to them, and the vocals sound good on top of it all.

It's also a great disc to play for babies/toddlers because it's spikey and kind of funny sounding. So that's something.
oword