Author Topic: Rumor: Smashing Pumpkins at 9:30 Club July 10th  (Read 176995 times)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
Re: Rumor: Smashing Pumpkins at 9:30 Club July 10th
« Reply #975 on: July 11, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »
oh my.
 but it's understandable, women tend to steer toward those nick hornbyesque men anyway. also, does this mean you scout for chicks at single parent meetings?

once you actually take lloyd dobler for what he's worth - he's creepy as hell. yeah, stand outside my window, you'll get a brick to the face and call to the cops.

Originally posted by vansmack:

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  you are such a class act.

The Lloyd Dobler route just wasn't working for me.  There's plenty of time to meet Diane Court.   So I steered more towards some combination of Nick Hornby novels - like a cross between Fever Pitch, High Fidelity and About a Boy.  But don't blame me, blame pop music. [/b]
nothx

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #976 on: July 11, 2007, 05:31:00 pm »
nothx

joz

« Reply #977 on: July 11, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »
great to meet you also and thanks for the beer, too...it's been a rough day at work to say the least.

Originally posted by walkonby:
  what a show.  i woke up at two in the afternoon today.  i really should not have got those nachos with xtra jalapenoes at sheetz on the ride home.  i drank too much as well.  i think my head hurts from bopping til i dropped.  i would of stayed for the after show, but as i said, i realized i drank too much.  and i only met two boardies - the director, who said i look nothing like a walkonby, and joz, who kept me entertained all evening with her charm, cruelty to the non dancing dc scene, and her beauty.  

vansmack

« Reply #978 on: July 11, 2007, 06:25:00 pm »
  oh my.
 but it's understandable, women tend to steer toward those nick hornbyesque men anyway. also, does this mean you scout for chicks at single parent meetings?

once you actually take lloyd dobler for what he's worth - he's creepy as hell. yeah, stand outside my window, you'll get a brick to the face and call to the cops.
I agree with you on the first part, vehemently disagree on the second part.  And no, the single mom thing is something that never tickled my fancy.    

While every woman wants the Lloyd Dobler type, it's this same type that scares women away.  There are many theories about this and I tend to subscribe to the Klosterman Theory on Lloyd that eventually you realize that it's fake and that's why you want it and can't have it.  Others say that women reach a point where they're ready to settle down and that's when they finally look for their Lloyd Dobler.  Until then, the Nick Hornby type guys that get the ladies.

On your second point, I hear this more and more from younger girls.  I don't think you (or other young girls) would throw a brick if the guy chose the right song.  I don't believe romance is dead and I think the serenade still has a place in love today, albeit even if it's through speakers with an iPod and not some chump singing a song.  But I think its the song - young people aren't taken to Peter Gabriel's song the way say, somebody born between 1965-1978 would be.  So if some guy did that, and he chose a song that touched you, it would work.  But here's Cameron Crowe's brilliance - it didn't work, when in 1989 it should have worked.  That's what I loved about that scene that is never talked about.  Diane Court did not get out of bed when Lloyd Dobler was blaring a song that touched her.  I'm still amazed at that.  Anyhow, I don't think Lloyd's creepy.  I think he was being sincere in the only way Lloyd knew how to be sincere, and really when the guy is that nice it would be hard to throw a brick at him.

This needs to be it's own message board, let alone its own thread.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #979 on: July 11, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »
  I don't think you (or other young girls) would throw a brick if the guy chose the right song.
You and me /
 Have seen everything to see /
 From Bangkok to Calgary

**sniffle**
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #980 on: July 11, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
 it's been a rough day at work to say the least.
it's been a horrible day at work, at least this morning certainly was.  WHAT I LEARNED TODAY: when hung over and dehydrated, downing a liter of sparkling mineral water is NOT a good idea.  trust me on this one, stick with still water.

and i'm still at the office, the horror drags on.  but it was totally worth it, would do it again in a heartbeat... just maybe not tonight   :)

and hoya is giving smackie a run for his money with that last post.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #981 on: July 11, 2007, 07:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  and hoya is giving smackie a run for his money with that last post.
He's spot on with that.  I've been to 4 weddings in the last three months and 3 of them gave away CDs made by the couple.  All of them had that song on the playlist.  I guess the thought of dying with the one you love is something some people are attracted to.  I, on the other hand, would be as likely to include that song as I would 9 Crimes by Damien Rice.
27>34

« Reply #982 on: July 11, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »
Does your wife subscribe to your theories, or does she have her own?

oh my.

I agree with you on the first part, vehemently disagree on the second part.  And no, the single mom thing is something that never tickled my fancy.    

While every woman wants the Lloyd Dobler type, it's this same type that scares women away.  There are many theories about this and I tend to subscribe to the Klosterman Theory on Lloyd that eventually you realize that it's fake and that's why you want it and can't have it.  Others say that women reach a point where they're ready to settle down and that's when they finally look for their Lloyd Dobler.  Until then, the Nick Hornby type guys that get the ladies.

On your second point, I hear this more and more from younger girls.  I don't think you (or other young girls) would throw a brick if the guy chose the right song.  I don't believe romance is dead and I think the serenade still has a place in love today, albeit even if it's through speakers with an iPod and not some chump singing a song.  But I think its the song - young people aren't taken to Peter Gabriel's song the way say, somebody born between 1965-1978 would be.  So if some guy did that, and he chose a song that touched you, it would work.  But here's Cameron Crowe's brilliance - it didn't work, when in 1989 it should have worked.  That's what I loved about that scene that is never talked about.  Diane Court did not get out of bed when Lloyd Dobler was blaring a song that touched her.  I'm still amazed at that.  Anyhow, I don't think Lloyd's creepy.  I think he was being sincere in the only way Lloyd knew how to be sincere, and really when the guy is that nice it would be hard to throw a brick at him.

This needs to be it's own message board, let alone its own thread. [/b]

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #983 on: July 11, 2007, 08:07:00 pm »
my photos from last night's show + a few at the end with the boardies and me.

view at your own risk  ;)
nothx

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #984 on: July 11, 2007, 09:21:00 pm »
  I guess the thought of dying with the one you love is something some people are attracted to.
And in the darkened underpass
 I thought oh God, my chance has come at last
 (but then a strange fear gripped me and I
 just couldnt ask)

any other good ones?
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #985 on: July 11, 2007, 09:25:00 pm »
i guess there's always the old standby:

A glooming peace this morning with it brings
 The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
 Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
 Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
 For never was a story of more woe
 Than this of .............
(o|o)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #986 on: July 11, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »
i don't actually think that is able to be topped.

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  i guess there's always the old standby:

A glooming peace this morning with it brings
 The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
 Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
 Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
 For never was a story of more woe
 Than this of .............
nothx

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #987 on: July 11, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »
  i don't actually think that is able to be topped.
eh, i'd take moz over the bard most days of the week

--------------------------------

You say : "'Ere thrice the sun done salutation to the dawn"
 And you claim these words as your own
 But I've read well, and I've heard them said
 A hundred times (maybe less, maybe more)
 If you must write prose/poems
 The words you use should be your own
 Don't plagiarise or take "on loan"
 'Cause there's always someone, somewhere
 With a big nose, who knows
 And who trips you up and laughs
 When you fall

------------------------------

my only issue with the ole mozzer on this one is that not many people, big schnoz or not, can liberally quote from richard III
(o|o)

Darth Ed

« Reply #988 on: July 11, 2007, 11:15:00 pm »
 I guess the thought of dying with the one you love is something some people are attracted to.
There's certainly a common motif in Asian cultures generally and the Japanese culture specifically, predating Romeo and Juliet. The Japanese have traditionally believed that dying at the same time as a loved one (usually accomplished by a double suicide) would entwine your souls insuring that you would meet again in your next lives.

*pushes glasses further up on nose*

skevin007

« Reply #989 on: July 11, 2007, 11:50:00 pm »
Hey, I uploaded some pics from last night. This was my first time creating a Flickr account so let me know if I fucked anything up.

PICS ARE HERE

Let me know what your favorite is!