Author Topic: Starlight Mints  (Read 4198 times)

ratioci nation

Starlight Mints
« on: October 31, 2003, 12:25:00 pm »
Anybody going to see Starlight Mints at Fletchers?

I can't make it but should be good.

Twangirl, any insight in to why a lot of smaller bands like this may play Fletchers and not DC right after?  Is it a venue issue or just the way it is?

markie

Re: Starlight Mints
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 12:38:00 pm »
I would have liked to have seen them as well......

Maybe the show would have been just like arlo's the other night.

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2003, 12:45:00 pm »
A number of the band that play fletchers play iota, since the two seem to be comparable in size. since iota is skewed toward americana, the americana bookings tend to overlap.

alicia

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2003, 01:13:00 pm »
anyone know how to get to fletcher's using good ol public transportation? just moved here...forgive...yada yada yada. Thanks!

alicia

ratioci nation

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2003, 01:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by alicia:
  anyone know how to get to fletcher's using good ol public transportation? just moved here...forgive...yada yada yada. Thanks!

alicia
I have never heard a good way to do it, I wish there were more cheap and late  night trains between baltimore and dc, there should be

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 01:17:00 pm »

alicia
Fletchers is in Baltimore. If you live in Baltimore you will know that only a bus or cab will take you there.  

If you are coming from DC, i would take the MARC train to Camden Station and take a cab the rest of the way.  OR you COULD use the Baltimore metro and get out at Shot Tower, but its a healthy 10 block walk from there.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 01:19:00 pm »

alicia
well, let's see. . .the marc trains don't run on the weekend, which means if you want to go to a show on the weekend you'll have to take amtrak to balmer.  for the cost of the ticket, might as well just rent a car for the day.  ok, otherwise, you take the marc to penn station. . .don't know the bus schedule, and i don't believe the light rail (or subway) goes to fells. . .so, cab it is.  after that, next marc train back to dc will probably be early the next morning.
OU812

markie

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
Yea, the best way is renting a car. Otherwise there is no apparent way of getting back at night. Do you reaaly want to hang about some baltimore Bus or train station till 5 or  in the morning?

kind people of the board have been known to give lifts to those of us without cars, but you normally have to be around here for a while for that to happen.

But it doesnt appear that anyone is going, anyhow.

Jaguär

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2003, 02:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  Twangirl, any insight in to why a lot of smaller bands like this may play Fletchers and not DC right after?  Is it a venue issue or just the way it is?
Christ, let us have someone.   :roll:  It's usually we from Baltimore who have to do all of the schlepping between cities. That gets old and expensive, even with car ownership, very fast.

And whatever you do, DON'T think of doing that walk from the Shot Tower if you are by yourself. Belive me, it's not a safe neighborhood by any stretch of the imagination. The Fletcher's neighborhood itself is fair. It's the rest of it you would have to walk through.

Car pooling with a car rental or buying a car owner a ticket is probably your best bet.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
Hi Alicia!

alicia

Bags

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 02:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by pollard:
Car pooling with a car rental or buying a car owner a ticket is probably your best bet. [/b]
That's the way to go....it would work with me.  Hell, 90% of the time I just want someone to go with me!  But, if you have less musically-inclined friends, buy 'em a ticket.

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2003, 03:03:00 pm »
Some car rental tips that might help some of you:

ALWAYS try to find some sort of discount. They often will give some slightly discounted rate for all sorts of affiliations such as student/staff/alumni of certain universities, work for certain employers, belong to a number of Unions or other memeberships, military service, or any other thing they come up with. The discount is usually not that great but always helpful. You usually have to ask about them as they are not offered by the rental company itself. If you get a friendly agent, they may start asking you if you are (from their list) once you ask them. Sometimes using certain credit cards will do the trick.

If you ever travel to another location via air or train and/or rent a hotel, try that too as that sometimes qualifies.

Though I don't know the going rates anymore, I've found Enterprise to be the one with most of the better rates. Also, they will pick you up and drop you off for no extra charge. Check around though because different markets will be different.

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
5 bucks says this band will play DC within 4 months and you'll feel pretty silly for renting a car to drive to Baltimore to see them...

markie

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2003, 03:14:00 pm »
enterprise is a little pricey, especially for bigger cars, but there is one right by where I an basgster live..... Watch out for enterprise and their free 100 miles, not unlimited miles like most others.

Budget is cheaper, but their service sucks.

Bagster, you dont have a car either, do you? We will have to team up for a show sometime.

Jaguär

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 03:24:00 pm »
Wow, that's bad to hear....about Enterprise. Well, like so many other companies that start out great, they get the good rep, the customers, and then creep their way up and out of the market.