Author Topic: Has WSC jumped the shark?  (Read 3127 times)

redsock

Has WSC jumped the shark?
« on: November 05, 2004, 11:59:00 am »
A lot of talk lately about no one really liking thaem anymore, success getting to them etc... Is it really them specifically, or is it that we don't like seeing our underground heroes move on to bigger and better things? Perhaps it is the MTV thing? It is still cool to like Q and Not U, why not WSC?

Please discuss...

thirsty moore

Re: Has WSC jumped the shark?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 12:07:00 pm »
Maybe they just ran their course.  Adding a member always spells trouble.

Bags

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
It's just us in this tiny bubble of D.C. broiling around with not enough to think about (musically, that is).  I bet they still don't sell out even small shows in NY, LA or even Phillie (I wonder about Baltimore).  How many friggin' people read Magnet or The Onion A.V. Club?  They are FAR from taking over the world.  Yes, critics are digging them and they're getting some buzz, but I actually read/watch all that 'subterranean' indie magazine stuff, and I've just seen them a couple times in magazines (and never on t.v.).

I think the D.C. fatigue with them is that they played SO often for a year and half, two years, as they were really building up buzz.  You could pretty much see them every two months for a while there.

And I proudly still love 'em and will see them when I can, like tonight!  They rock, they're fun, the shows are a blast, and because they're big in DC they always get a Friday or Saturday show, which makes it easier to make it a big, fun night...

I'll be at Black Cat tonight -- say hi and we'll grab a beer.   ;)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 06:08:00 pm »
I still love 'em.  Didn't go last night because the SO was sick.  :(

Bags

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 07:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:
  I still love 'em.  Didn't go last night because the SO was sick.   :(  
Next time, Chutney, next time....It was another really fun show, and I thought two if by sea was really, really good.  Better than a lot of opener bands I've seen lately.  Doom saw them for the first time, and he certainly seemed to enjoy the show.  

Yeah WSC!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 07:26:00 pm »
I did enjoy the show!   The second band was good too but too Interpol-like...
_\|/_

Ikarus

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2004, 08:55:00 pm »
i've never really liked wsc's music, but i've met a few of 'em and they're good people. i'm all for dc bands getting national exposure.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 09:26:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
   I thought two if by sea was really, really good.  Better than a lot of opener bands I've seen lately.
I knew you would like them! They are playing again at the Warehouse 12/5 with Oxford Collapse (who I have been wanting to see).

Bags

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 12:55:00 pm »
Cool, I should make that show at the Warehouse, though I'll be getting back from NYC and my last ever Guided By Voices show.  I may be VERY low energy on Sunday night....    ;)

BlueEyedAndDangerous

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 02:34:00 pm »
I also thought two if by sea was great. They reminded me of the Faint, but with the Killer's singer.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2004, 11:38:00 pm »
I just discovered that Two if by Sea will also be playing a show at DC9 on Saturday, Nov. 20th.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 12:02:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  A lot of talk lately about no one really liking thaem anymore, success getting to them etc... Is it really them specifically, or is it that we don't like seeing our underground heroes move on to bigger and better things? Perhaps it is the MTV thing? It is still cool to like Q and Not U, why not WSC?

Please discuss...
As a general rule I stop liking a band when they get the least bit popular, regardless of how much I actually do like them.  It's just not cool to like  bands that other people like.

Bags

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 01:17:00 am »
Originally posted by kurosawa-b/w:
  I just discovered that Two if by Sea will also be playing a show at DC9 on Saturday, Nov. 20th.
Oy.  I'm off to Florida for Thanksgiving on Saturday.  And I can assure you there will be NOTHING like two if by sea playing down in St. Pete.    :(  

by the way, redsock, so far only chaz thinks WSC has jumped the shark, and that's just a personal jump.  I think they're still in good shape.    :D

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
What the hell does jump the shark mean any way?

Random Citizen

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 11:08:00 am »
Originally posted by chaz:
  What the hell does jump the shark mean any way?
Jumptheshark.com:

Q. What is jumping the shark?

A. It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it "Jumping the Shark."  From that moment on, the program will simply never be the same.

The term "jump the shark" was coined by my college roommate for 4 years, Sean J. Connolly, in Ann Arbor, Michigan back in 1985. This web site, book, film, and all other material surrounding shark jumping, are hereby dedicated to "the Colonel."

The aforementioned expression refers to the telltale sign of the demise of Happy Days, our favorite example, when Fonzie actually "jumped the shark." The rest is history.

Jumping the shark applies not only to TV, but also music, film, even everyday life. "Did you see her boyfriend? She definitely jumped the shark." You get the idea.