Author Topic: Creative Nomad MP3 players  (Read 3613 times)

freddyadu

Creative Nomad MP3 players
« on: August 27, 2004, 10:09:00 pm »
I don't care that the Ipods are cute.

I've been looking at the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra and the Zen Touch.  Anyone have these and what have been your experiences with them?

I once thought Ipods were the epitome of the mp3 players, but think that too many people are starry-eyed due to their sleek look.  I heard that the Nomad are cheaper and provide better results.  But, I'm still not sure.......

helicon1

Re: Creative Nomad MP3 players
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 06:40:00 am »
Originally posted by freddyadu:

I've been looking at the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra and the Zen Touch.  Anyone have these and what have been your experiences with them?
I have the Creative Nomad Zen Xtra 30gb and it's a great machine but does have it's positives and negatives. I'll start with the negatives:

The biggest negative might be it's internal parts. I've read on the internet that about 50% of these units sold have problems with the headphone jack. In essence, the wiring gets loose on the inside and you lose sound from one ear. But anyone who can use a soldering iron can fix it themselves. The link is  here: I've had mine for three months and so far so good.

The other negative for me is that the scroll wheel on the side of the machine is shaky if you don't press down exactly right.

Other than those negatives, the positives are great. For what I paid for a 30gb Nomad, you can only get a 4gb from IPOD. It gets good battery life and has great sound quality. The transfer software is easy to use and the casing is very solid. The display is nice and easy to use and I enjoy having this machine with me wherever I go.

I recommend that if you buy this unit from a retailer such as Best Buy, spend the $30 to get the 3-year replacement plan. Anyway, hope this helps. good luck!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 10:06:00 am »
Get an ipod.  You can get a 20gb for 299, alittle more but worth it.  itunes is the best music management package out there and i've never met anyone who's regrettedbuying one.  Plus, they're cute!

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
I've got a Nomad from 2000.  Still works fine.  Takes AA batteries!  Does anyone still have Ipods from 2K?  Nope.

grotty

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 12:26:00 pm »
I've had 2 Nomads. Neither is still working - display screen problems.

I love my Ipod - although I've got one of the first generation that doesn't make uploading & charging so convenient (PDA-like data port eliminates this on more recent models). Plus it's very big & heavy.

If I was buying an MP3 player right now - I'd go with the Ipod Mini.
  mini

It's even cuter.

azaghal1981

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
I wonder if these portable players will start supporting lossless formats any time soon. I've heard something about the IPOD being able to play flac files in the near future. Anyone else hear the same thing?
احمد

chaz

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2004, 10:59:00 pm »
Not heard anything about ipods supporting flac files, but 192kbps aac's and mp3's are more than good enough for me.

I still know a few folks with 1st gen ipods but I dont think they really started to fly off the shelves til 2nd gen....that's why you don't see too many 1st gen.

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2004, 01:42:00 am »
For studio-recorded shit, I can agree with 192K being good enough but I listen to mostly live shows and that compromised sound quality is definitely noticeable especially when you're listening to an audience recording. I know that very few people prefer live music over studio tracks and the market of people who would buy one of these devices to play lossless audio is even smaller so I'm not holding my breath waiting. Just curious.
احمد

chaz

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2004, 10:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  but I listen to mostly live shows
The Dead and Phish, eh?

jkeisenh

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 12:20:00 pm »

I bought my Creative Nomad Zen Xtra half because it was so cheap for a 30GB, half because I think Apple is overrated.

I love it.  It's awesome.  
 The only downside is that it's a little to big for running-- I had to buy a belt-thingy to carry it.  But it's perfect for all else.  Long battery life.  Pretty.  No stupid touch wheel to screw up.  Smartly designed system.  Good interface software.

Go for it.

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:

I bought my Creative Nomad Zen Xtra half because it was so cheap for a 30GB, half because I think Apple is overrated.

I love it.  It's awesome.  
 The only downside is that it's a little to big for running-- I had to buy a belt-thingy to carry it.  But it's perfect for all else.  Long battery life.  Pretty.  No stupid touch wheel to screw up.  Smartly designed system.  Good interface software.

Go for it. [/b]
does it work in your car too?   ;)

DrOwnage

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 12:31:00 pm »
Yes, my Nomad Zen Xtra 30gig works fine in my car.  I purchased a FM transmitter that plugs into the phone jack of my MP3 player and it transmits the info to my car FM stereo.  It has a broadcast range of 70 ft and can be on any FM station.  So, when you're pissed off in commuter traffic and want to mess with other people, you can pirate radio all you want and they have to listen to your music.

There are several kinds of FM transmitters on the market.  Radio Shack has a shitty product, but it's cheap.  CCrane has the best product on the market, in my opinion.  The link to it is here:

http://www.ccrane.com/fm-transmitter.aspx

chaz

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 12:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
   No stupid touch wheel to screw up.  Smartly designed system.  
 Go for it.
The idea with the touch wheel is that it doesn't get screwed up.  No moving parts.  But I'm an IPOD zealot and can't stand to hear someone bash them.

LRHippo

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 12:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  but I listen to mostly live shows
The Dead and Phish, eh? [/b]
The Dead and Phish are just 2 of the over 500 bands that allow audience recording. Bands such as Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Ministry, Metallica, GLaSS, and many more are cool with it.

chaz

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
azaghal1981, care to chime in?  You listen to mostly the Dead and Phish, right?  Don't tell me your collection is full of Fugazi and Ministry bootlegs??!!