Author Topic: Older Indie Music Fans  (Read 4291 times)

Arlette

Re: Older Indie Music Fans
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. You like to micro the wording of poasts, so we'll probably get into a discussion about what cutting edge means (you can, I'll abstain), but they were unique at the time.  

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  They were on Geffen and their sound was certainly not on the cutting edge. The only thing that made them non-mainstream was that nobody bought their albums.

Originally posted by HERR PROFESSOR DOKTOR DOOM:
  XTC certainly was far from mainstream in its heyday.

I know peeps my age who refuse to listen to anything new.  I think that when that happens is when you start becoming mentally, as well as physically, old.
[/b]

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 05:06:00 am »
Originally posted by Arlette:
  "Joy Division invented it and did it better.", or something like that.  Not that I can't like that band, but it's not "new".
In a sense, nothing is new.   People who think punk started with Minor Threat forget about everything that came before, decades before, for example.

What's really key isn't whether it's "new" but whether it's been done with any imagination, soul, or creativity.  That doesn't have to be new.

Plus, for me at least, seeing a relatively unknown but good band in a small club with 100 people trumps seeing dinosaur rock bands like the Rolling Stones or U2 with a crowd of 80,000 any day of the week.  

PS - Youbebetty, taking oneself too seriously is mayhaps another sign of an aging geezer.   ;)
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 10:10:00 am »
IS this guy a walking cliche or what...

The VU shirt alone gives him away. And hasn't Conor pretty much been dismissed as overrated hack.  Besides he can't be that indie, as any self respectinb XTC fan would own the Sugarplastic.

And WTF does is this mean 'Indie music is not going to pay your bills.' I see no mention of him being a musician.  And please NME is hardly "indie"...

Next

Originally posted by brennser:
  How many of the loons can identify with this?? The only difference for me is that I'm allowed hang framed LP covers and concert posters in the basement!!

WEARING a Velvet Underground T-shirt and sitting in his study, which holds old Morrissey vinyl records, Mr Leong Weng Piew was staring at share prices on his laptop.

An avid follower of indie music, the 37-year-old associate director of sales discusses the virtues of indie bands like Bright Eyes and XTC with enthusiasm.

....His condomium home is a typical family man's abode - toys peek from every corner and photos of his wife and 3-year-old daughter sit on every available space.

Even in his study, the 'indie-ness' is comparatively subdued. His multitude of CDs of bands like Belle and Sebastian are tucked away in drawers.

Framed pictures of The Beatles and The Clash's London Calling album cover stand on the floor - his wife wants no holes in the wall.

'Wife and work must come first,' he said.

Mr Leong, an ex-commando, is unapologetic about his comfortable white-collar existence.

'It's difficult to be truly indie. You have a job to do, a family to look after. We have only 24 hours a day to lead our lives,' he said.

'Indie music is not going to pay your bills.'

He picked up his love for non-mainstream tunes with The Smiths when he was in secondary school and he has not lost the passion. He spends as much time reading financial news as he does New Musical Express.

While he loved the rebelliousness of the music when he was younger, it's no longer why he enjoys it.

'I like the energy of the music but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what they're doing,' he said.

'Now that I'm pushing 40, when I see Pete Doherty (Babyshambles bad boy), I think: What is he doing?'
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 10:35:00 am »
  Ding!  We have a winner.  That's exactly right.  Whenever one of my younger friends starts trumpeting a "hot" new band all I can say, usually, is "Joy Division invented it and did it better.", or something like that.  Not that I can't like that band, but it's not "new".
but the band is new?  so it is a "new band".

you people need to really get over yourselves.

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 10:49:00 am »
Which "classic indie" bands is it a cliche to have a t-shirt of?

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  IS this guy a walking cliche or what...

The VU shirt alone gives him away. And hasn't Conor pretty much been dismissed as overrated hack.  Besides he can't be that indie, as any self respectinb XTC fan would own the Sugarplastic.

And WTF does is this mean 'Indie music is not going to pay your bills.' I see no mention of him being a musician.  And please NME is hardly "indie"...

Next

Originally posted by brennser:
  How many of the loons can identify with this?? The only difference for me is that I'm allowed hang framed LP covers and concert posters in the basement!!

WEARING a Velvet Underground T-shirt and sitting in his study, which holds old Morrissey vinyl records, Mr Leong Weng Piew was staring at share prices on his laptop.

An avid follower of indie music, the 37-year-old associate director of sales discusses the virtues of indie bands like Bright Eyes and XTC with enthusiasm.

....His condomium home is a typical family man's abode - toys peek from every corner and photos of his wife and 3-year-old daughter sit on every available space.

Even in his study, the 'indie-ness' is comparatively subdued. His multitude of CDs of bands like Belle and Sebastian are tucked away in drawers.

Framed pictures of The Beatles and The Clash's London Calling album cover stand on the floor - his wife wants no holes in the wall.

'Wife and work must come first,' he said.

Mr Leong, an ex-commando, is unapologetic about his comfortable white-collar existence.

'It's difficult to be truly indie. You have a job to do, a family to look after. We have only 24 hours a day to lead our lives,' he said.

'Indie music is not going to pay your bills.'

He picked up his love for non-mainstream tunes with The Smiths when he was in secondary school and he has not lost the passion. He spends as much time reading financial news as he does New Musical Express.

While he loved the rebelliousness of the music when he was younger, it's no longer why he enjoys it.

'I like the energy of the music but that doesn't necessarily mean I agree with what they're doing,' he said.

'Now that I'm pushing 40, when I see Pete Doherty (Babyshambles bad boy), I think: What is he doing?'
[/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 11:01:00 am »
Yawn
T.Rex

Arlette

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Thom Foolerie:

Ding!  We have a winner.  That's exactly right.  Whenever one of my younger friends starts trumpeting a "hot" new band all I can say, usually, is "Joy Division invented it and did it better.", or something like that.  Not that I can't like that band, but it's not "new".
but the band is new?  so it is a "new band".

you people need to really get over yourselves. [/b]
By you people you mean me?  I probably do need to get over myself, but I'm not sure how you mean in this context.

When I heard Interpol for the first time, I heard Joy Division.  I just couldn't get excited by them, but I would never say they suck.  

Herr Doktor is right, there's really nothing "new".  But as someone old enough to grow up with some of the original "indie" bands, some of the new bands that clearly show their influences just don't excite me.  It's just personal taste.  

How do I get over that?

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 01:39:00 pm »

How do I get over that?
getting over hearing all of the influences in every band isnt what i was referring to.  I mean, we all know that ALL bands have influences and derive at least some of their sound from other bands...except Joy Division who had a completely original sound that makes me believe, to this day, that none of the band had ever heard any for of music whatsoever before they wrote their songs...  :)

but i was referring to having to point out all the influences at every chance they get...

"Whenever one of my younger friends starts trumpeting a "hot" new band all I can say, usually, is "Joy Division invented it and did it better.", or something like that."

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:

if i had a thread entitled "I'M NOT GOING TO PASS THE SAT'S!" you would have done the same thing!!
you can fail the SAT'S????

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Thom Foolerie:

Originally posted by you be betty:

if i had a thread entitled "I'M NOT GOING TO PASS THE SAT'S!" you would have done the same thing!!
you can fail the SAT'S???? [/b]
oh; i'm sure someone will find a way...

bearman🐻

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »
I'm a total walking cliche. I love wearing my Joy Division, Stooges, and X t-shirts. Inevitably I will get someone coming up to me saying "DUDE...that is a GREAT shirt!" and I just say "thanks, I know" a la High Fidelity. But for me it's a statement. Good music withstands the test of time, whether or not it's in fashion or style.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  I'm a total walking cliche. I love wearing my Joy Division, Stooges, and X t-shirts. Inevitably I will get someone coming up to me saying "DUDE...that is a GREAT shirt!" and I just say "thanks, I know" a la High Fidelity. But for me it's a statement. Good music withstands the test of time, whether or not it's in fashion or style.
i just bought a Grandaddy shirt last month, and its totally sitting in my closet til 2015 and then imma bust it out, INDIE ROCK STYLE!!!