Author Topic: Tivolite Alert  (Read 3475 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Tivolite Alert
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 09:21:00 pm »
my dvr sucks
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 09:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  my dvr sucks
Trade it in for a newer one....they'll just let you swap it out.

brennser

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 10:18:00 pm »
I've only had it a few weeks but really like it...HD content really fills up the drive but I haven't been screwed by any limitations yet.
yeah, nothing like a few Lost and Office episodes to get you over 50% in a hurry! I'm a little worried about how many World Cup games I can fit on it in HD

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 10:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Chaz, Lover of all Beings:
   I've never had tivo but I'm pressed to think of what it could offer that my current box doesn't do.
once smackie gets into work tomorrow, i'm sure he'll have a full report for you =)
(o|o)

chaz

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 09:52:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

I've never had tivo but I'm pressed to think of what it could offer that my current box doesn't do.
once smackie gets into work tomorrow, i'm sure he'll have a full report for you =) [/b]
I have no doubt.

vansmack

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  once smackie gets into work tomorrow, i'm sure he'll have a full report for you =)
I will not be your monkey...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
  I have no doubt.
http://www.pvrcompare.com/featurechart.html

There's the feature chart for non-HD DVR's.  Comcast has many DVR's now, so it might be a bit outdated.

The truth is, most of the limitations in DVR's comapred to a TiVo powered DVR have been fixed.  I've had a DirecTV DVR (non-TiVo) for about a month now, but three software updates later and I only have one or two complaints left compared to my TiVo power DirecTV unit.  While no DVR has the full TiVo experience (you'll have to try one to understand), the other DVR's are working well enough that it won't matter soon unless you've used a TiVo and get the little things it does.  They all do practically the same thing, but some just do it simpler than others.

Home Networking options on the TiVo are unmatched, but few people have bought into that.  About 2 years ahead of it's time, I figure.

HD DVR's are different.  TiVo is not that superior in HD DVR to justify the expense ($500 compared to $10 a month).  The current TiVo HD will be obsolete in 4 months, and I feel badly for anyone who dropped $1000 on one.  It won't work with DirecTV in four months and will never be good for cable do to a lack of dual cable tuners.  Series 3 will fix that, and then you guys can all make fun of me for not having the TiVo experience while you are coming around.  I have seriously considered leaving DirecTV for lack of TiVo in a few months, but the NFL Package will keep me around.

Here's a guy who has used both the Comcast HD DVR and the TiVo HD:  http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2005/11/comcast_hd_dvr_.html
27>34

chaz

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »
This is the new HD dvr Comcast is using in Arlington....I had to ask for it though.  They were going to give me an older model until I inquired about this one.

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/consumers_new/CableBoxes/8300hd.htm