Author Topic: Good news/Bad news  (Read 6147 times)

Bags

Re: Good news/Bad news
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 11:02:00 pm »
I know you can never be sure, but I've found certain venues have general rules based on night of the week and how many opening bands there are.  Thanks, Jag.

Originally posted by Jaguär:

Originally posted by Bagster:
 Question, what time will the band likely play at Ottobar on a Sunday?  In other words, are they more like 9:30 Club (about 9:30-10), Black Cat (10-11) or Velvet Lounge (11-12:15, which is insane!)

Thanks boardies!
Don't remember but probably about 10:00. One thing you may not be aware of, Baltimore has a 2:00AM liquor license, so everone must be out by then. To be honest, the only place that I know of that is generally right on target with their set times is the 9:30 Club. Everyone else is generally much looser. [/b]

Jaguär

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 11:14:00 pm »
Bags, Swervedriver is Wednesday at the Velvet and Thursday at The Ottobar.    ;)

saco

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 10:17:00 am »
The two times I have been to the Ottobar in recent weeks, including last night to see The Supersuckers(!) the headliner started around midnight.  Both times they were pretty close to their posted set times.

I know you can never be sure, but I've found certain venues have general rules based on night of the week and how many opening bands there are.  Thanks, Jag.

Question, what time will the band likely play at Ottobar on a Sunday?  In other words, are they more like 9:30 Club (about 9:30-10), Black Cat (10-11) or Velvet Lounge (11-12:15, which is insane!)

Thanks boardies!
Don't remember but probably about 10:00. One thing you may not be aware of, Baltimore has a 2:00AM liquor license, so everone must be out by then. To be honest, the only place that I know of that is generally right on target with their set times is the 9:30 Club. Everyone else is generally much looser. [/b]
[/b]

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 10:27:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  good news:  The High Strung at the Mojo 11/16

bad news:  I'll be in Paris (which is also good news)
;)

Sir HC

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 10:31:00 am »

Originally posted by Sir HC:
  They have on the listserver from the Ottobar/Mission Media:
 Thursday November 13th
 Swervedriver
 The Roy Owens Jr. (ex Magnapop & Crooked Fingers)
 and Equus

as opposed to the Ottobar site with the "Adam Franklin from" added.  Could see some people quite pissed going to that show.
Yeah, the Velvet Lounge did the same dumb thing on their Free Beer email in the upcoming shows section. In The Ottobar's defense, they did specify in all of their other listings I've seen forever that it was Adam Franklin of Swervedriver. I think the Velvet Lounge has the distiction on their site but not everyone will check there. At least it's a full band rather than the acoustic version from his past.

Are you planning on going? If so, which venue? [/b]
Not sure.  Last time I saw Swervedriver (opening for Hum at the 9:30) they were horrid.  They only played slow meandering songs, none of the faster rocking ones.  Will Adam play any Swervedriver stuff or will it be all his material.

He can't be using his Fender Jazzmaster that he always had because he sold it on e-bay a bit back.

nkotb

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 10:50:00 am »
I'd love to, but I'll be in NYC that weekend, so I'm afraid it's out.  My deepest apologies.

But thanks for the purty comment.  

Originally posted by poorlulu:
  nkotbie posting and the high strung in b'town...........
 can life get any better i ask you?

ooh ooh i know...............
 nkotbie wanna see a show in baltimore..........hehehehehehe

Guiny

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 10:56:00 am »
Good News - Primus at Nation on November 16th.

Band News - They already cancelled.

Jaguär

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 11:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Not sure.  Last time I saw Swervedriver (opening for Hum at the 9:30) they were horrid.  They only played slow meandering songs, none of the faster rocking ones.  Will Adam play any Swervedriver stuff or will it be all his material.

He can't be using his Fender Jazzmaster that he always had because he sold it on e-bay a bit back.
Oh, don't scare me like that. That sucks that he doesn't have the Jazzmaster anymore. Maybe that was why the other tour was acoustic. Let's hope he bought a new one.

He's on tour with a full electric band and promised to do some Swervedriver songs. Don't know who's playing with him. I know that they are in negotiations now for working up a European tour for early next year so something "seems" to be going right for him.

mankie

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 11:24:00 am »
Good news...I was in New York for a couple of days.

Bad news...I had to come back to DC.

I saw Jack Black in Times Square filming something, he was in a perspex box in a silver suit...must be some space movie coming out or something like that. Just thought I'd mention that for Bagster.

markie

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 11:25:00 am »
Mankie, read this:

http://www.930.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005166

You are so cool, thank god you are back.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by I Heart Walkie:
  good news: my new favorite sport is ultimate frisbee

the hippie olympics in town???
OU812

Sir HC

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2003, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

the hippie olympics in town??? [/b]
With Hacky-sack and those stupid sticks with the top-like thing, you have the hippie triathalon.

mankie

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2003, 11:53:00 am »

So what makes a frisbee "ultimate" as opposed to the common, or garden variety?

ratioci nation

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2003, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
it is kind of like runny-throwy, but with a frisbee

Venerable Bede

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2003, 12:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by mankie:
it is kind of like runny-throwy, but with a frisbee [/b]
i think it's more like basketball. . .since you can't move when you grab the pea.
OU812