Author Topic: Liquid Mix Tour 2003  (Read 3474 times)

sonickteam2

Liquid Mix Tour 2003
« on: September 02, 2003, 11:18:00 am »
Ok, well i imagine that most of the good board folk didnt make it to this one, so i will tell you about it ok?

First, I go to the website and its says $10!!! all over it...and real small, I see that its "linited quantity" which probably means they had 100 of the fuckers. But i checked TM at my work and it said $14.50. SO i was thinkin, I'll go....but THEN when i check mppconcerts.com on Sunday morning, it was $19!!!! hmm, something fishy going on eh?  NOT YET!!! cause when i got to Merriweather, it was $26!!!!  ok, let me just say, that given the chance, everyone will screw you over.  and i wanted to leave on principal alone, but i didnt drive and i am a sucker for Talib Kweli.

So i pay my dues, and go in, to hear Robert Randolph and the family band, good bluesy funk kinda stuff, i was happy with it, got me through the long ass beer line.  

Within 15 minutes i saw like 9 of my friends and we found a spot on the lawn for Kweli.  
    Kweli came on and didnt do TOO much special, played his songs very well, and it really sounded good for live hip-hop, when it was just him and a DJ and two singing girls.  He did a cool freestyle and referred to the crowd as "Baltimore" instead of "DC" which always brings a smile to my face.  
    What came next was the best...The Roots....totally unbelievable and every time i see them its better...the whole band with them again, and they were showing off like crazy....they played a lot off Phrenology and a couple from Illadelph, but it seems more abstract than that....one dude had a wikked bass solo that got everyone up and cheering, and they stayed up for what may have been the best drum/bongo duet on earth....one dude on a drum set, the other on bongos, just going to town for like 8 minutes, and then they switched up!!! and then both played the same drum set and then both played the bongos....it was just SICK SICK SICK!!!  anyway, the DJ came on they ran through some fun classics, that "jump on it" song, planet rock, push it...it was a good time, and I will say , The Roots never disappoint (see NERD)

OAR came on next and ........uh, fuck them, they suck.

NERD was last and i really thought they were going to be better, but too many screaming girls must have gotten to Pharell cause it was all R&B shit and no good upbeat songs....Pharell almost got into a fight with some guy in the crowd...like i guess he thinks he's Eminem now...whatever...so we left a touch early.

all in all, I paid $60 (ticket and beers) to see Kweli and the Roots, a couple shitty bands, some breakdancers, and WAY TOO MANY high school white girls freeaking each other too not so good hip hop......

but i saw some old friends and spent the evening outside with music...so i wont complain.

i wont go next year however....unless the Roots are there again..

MaLo

Re: Liquid Mix Tour 2003
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 11:34:00 am »
my brother went to that show and got a geico key chain..but then,in an ironic twist,lost his keys.  So yesterday morning i had to go bring him his extra house key...and for my efforts, i am now the proud owner of a geico key chain

totally irrelevant..but when do i ever say anything relevant?

mankie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
Why did you have to make a point of noting the high school girls were white?

sonickteam2

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 12:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
if you ever have the chance...compare white people dancing to hip-hop to black folk.  usually makes for a funny picture.  white girls just cant shake thier booty like that (for the most part)

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2003, 12:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by MaLo:
  my brother went to that show and got a geico key chain..but then,in an ironic twist,lost his keys.  So yesterday morning i had to go bring him his extra house key...and for my efforts, i am now the proud owner of a geico key chain

totally irrelevant..but when do i ever say anything relevant?
i was commenting on how "everyone and thier brother" was at the show, after i had seen like 10 of my friends in 5 minutes...then, i saw my friend who was with her brother.  Then my friend saw HIS brother and then ....i saw MINE!

yours was there too...soooo...

everyone and thier brother ...... anyway, hows that for irrelevant.

mankie

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2003, 12:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

if you ever have the chance...compare white people dancing to hip-hop to black folk.  usually makes for a funny picture.  white girls just cant shake thier booty like that (for the most part) [/b]
You've obviously never seen my wife shake dat thang! Maybe you should've said high school American girls, then I would've understood completely!

Since when was hippity hoppity and rap a black thing anyway? Isn't eminem white?  ;)

Jaguär

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2003, 12:31:00 pm »

if you ever have the chance...compare white people dancing to hip-hop to black folk.  usually makes for a funny picture.  white girls just cant shake thier booty like that (for the most part) [/b]
Sonic, you haven't been around here long enough to know why Mankie really asked that question.   :D

mankie

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2003, 12:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:

Sonic, you haven't been around here long enough to know why Mankie really asked that question.    :D  [/b]
:D  
 Sometimes I think you know me better than my own mother.

Jaguär

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 12:56:00 pm »

Sonic, you haven't been around here long enough to know why Mankie really asked that question.     :D   [/b]
:D  
 Sometimes I think you know me better than my own mother. [/b]
LOL. I'm usually good like that with a lot of people. It's myself that I often don't know as well as I think that I know.

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 12:57:00 pm »
and maybe i dont WANNA know....

I should've said "american girls"  but i try to refrain my "american" comments whenever possible in hopes that people stop saying "eh" to me...haha.

and those "american girls" at the NERD show had WAY more moves than Eminem....and shorter shorts  :)

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2003, 01:03:00 pm »
Don't worry Sonic, it really wasn't a dig at you.

Long board/DC/pc story.......

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 01:38:00 pm »
  Don't worry Sonic, it really wasn't a dig at you.

Long board/DC/pc story.......
:)   gotcha.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2003, 02:01:00 pm »
   I should've said "american girls"
Take off. Hoser.

RonniStar

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2003, 09:39:00 pm »
all in all, I paid $60 (ticket and beers) to see Kweli and the Roots, a couple shitty bands, some breakdancers, and WAY TOO MANY high school white girls freeaking each other too not so good hip hop......

I was there Sunday. I made one wrong turn after another before I finally found my way to Merriweather Post. I got there, and I noticed it looked like a big ass college tailagte party. I have the pics to prove it. It was a wild ass college party behind be when Robert Randolph And The Family Band, Talib, The Roots and OAR performed. I did go home with some free stuff.

paige

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2003, 09:45:00 pm »
  LOL. I'm usually good like that with a lot of people. It's myself that I often don't know as well as I think that I know.
jag has that lovely maternal but not overbearing, sage but not pretentious, and amiable but not tool-ish. therefore, she is a good person to have around.   :D  she keeps you crazy brits in check!