Author Topic: Something Positive  (Read 3199 times)

SPARX

Something Positive
« on: September 03, 2003, 06:22:00 pm »
UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP, World's Largest Music Company, DRAMATICALLY REDUCES CD PRICES

UMG Institutes a $12.98 Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price on Virtually all Top Line CDs

New York, NY and Santa Monica, California September 3, 2003 - Universal Music Group (UMG) announced today an aggressive plan to significantly reduce the cost consumers pay for CDs by decreasing its wholesale prices and by instituting a $12.98 Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) on virtually all top line CDs in the U.S..

UMG will introduce a new pricing policy with the aim of bringing music fans back into retail stores and driving music sales. The program, which will begin in the fourth quarter of 2003, will eliminate $16.98, $17.98 and $18.98 equivalent MSRPs. UMG believes retailers will begin offering the lower priced CDs to consumers as soon as October 1, 2003.

As part of this new policy, UMG's labels plan to significantly increase
 their direct-to-consum! er advertising to raise music fans' awareness of
 the artists and their music.

Concurrently, UMG will also reduce its wholesale price on cassettes so
 its MSRP for top line releases will be $8.98.

UMG's roster includes such renowned artists as Ashanti, Mary J. Blige, blink-182, Bon Jovi, Mariah Carey, Sheryl Crow, Dr. Dre, Eminem, 50 Cent, Enrique Iglesias, India.Arie, Elton John, Diana Krall, Nelly, No Doubt, Puddle of Mudd, Reba McEntire, Stevie Wonder, Sting, t.A.T.u., Texas, Shania Twain and U2. The new pricing policy will also apply to UMG's historic catalog of recordings which includes artists such as ABBA, Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Eric Clapton, Patsy Cline, John Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald, Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Bob Marley, Nirvana, The Police, Rod Stewart, The Who, Hank Williams and the Motown catalog, which includes The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes and The Jackson Five.

"Our new pricing policy will! allow us to take the initiative in making music the best entertainment value and most compelling option for consumers," said Doug Morris, Chairman and CEO, Universal Music Group. "UMG is responsible for almost 30% of all album sales in the U.S. so we are uniquely positioned to try this new strategy. We strongly believe that when the prices are dramatically reduced on so many titles, we will drive consumers back to stores and significantly bolster music sales."

"Music fans will benefit from the price reductions we are announcing today," said Jim Urie, President, Universal Music & Video Distribution. "Our new pricing model will enable U.S. retailers to offer music at a much more appealing price point in comparison to other entertainment products. We are confident this pricing approach will drive music fans back into retail stores."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Samantha

Re: Something Positive
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 06:31:00 pm »
unfortunately I don't buy any of those artists.  oh well

SPARX

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 06:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Samantha:
Yep,but it's a start in the right direction.

paige

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 06:47:00 pm »
that is really awesome... maybe it will start a new trend of price lowering... i sure hope so!! finally!! the record labels understand how poor everyone is.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 07:06:00 pm »
there are a number of good ones you should have. everybody should have a billie holiday album.

Originally posted by Samantha:

SPARX

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 07:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 [QB] there are a number of good ones you should have. everybody should have a billie holiday album.

Don't forget Patsy and Hank.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 09:01:00 pm »
Hello.....  ELLA!

But, alas, I have all the Ella a girl needs.

Still, it's a great step from a major major.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 12:12:00 am »
Jeez, it's friggin' WWIII out there and all you've gotta worry about is the price of cruddy CDs!?

What about GW?  What about phreakin' Afghanistan?

Bags

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 09:33:00 am »
Originally posted by ¿+H? ?ömþæÿ Ððør§?:
  Jeez, it's friggin' WWIII out there and all you've gotta worry about is the price of cruddy CDs!?

What about GW?  What about phreakin' Afghanistan?
That's on another board, my friend.  Don't even get me started on GW.  If he were a Democrat, he'd be impeached by now for lying about WMD (although I realize the Reps actually care more about blow jobs than substantiated reasons for war, 'cuz after all, we're the U.S., who needs a stinking reason!).

Sir HC

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 09:39:00 am »
Just reminds me that I could buy the DVD for the movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" for less than the soundtrack!  That to me was the problem with CDs, they are easy to copy and they cost more than DVDs.

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 09:53:00 am »
Originally posted by bags:

Don't even get me started on GW.  If he were a Democrat, he'd be impeached by now for lying about WMD (although I realize the Reps actually care more about blow jobs than substantiated reasons for war, 'cuz after all, we're the U.S., who needs a stinking reason!). [/QUOTE]

But you DO agree on the WWIII pronouncement?   Islam against the West?  Who do you reckon will emerge victorious, then?  The hardscrabble Moslems or the weak-kneed West?

Celeste

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 09:55:00 am »
Those fascists are bound to lose.

thirsty moore

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 09:57:00 am »
Clearly, if you all read Nostradamus's predictions you would know that this was going to happen.  

Since the UK is involved, can we call this The Crusades?  Please?

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 10:13:00 am »
I just read in the latest NEWSWEAK würds along the lines of,

"Those Iraqi holdouts are as tough as a buncha towel-headed R.Lee Ermys!   More hardcase even than the North Vietnamese army!"

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 10:24:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  Clearly, if you all read Nostradamus's predictions you would know that this was going to happen.  

Since the UK is involved, can we call this The Crusades?  Please?
this my friend is why we keep you around these parts, i'm just glad i wasn't drinking something at the time   :D
T.Rex