Author Topic: GW Smith Center - The White Stripes  (Read 3238 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
GW Smith Center - The White Stripes
« on: May 29, 2003, 08:11:00 am »
What kind of venue is the GW Smith Center?  Arena or Auditorium.  Anyone attend a show there.  The reason I ask is simple

The White Stripes
 NEW U.S. DATES
 (Whirlwind Heat opens all shows)

JULY 20
 Boston, MA - Fleet Boston Pavilion

JULY 21 AND 22
 New York, NY - Roseland Ballroom

(JULY 23 - New York, NY - Central Park Summer Stage - already announced in a
 previous email)

JULY 25
 Philadelphia, PA - Penns Landing

JULY 26
 Washington DC - GW Smith Center

JULY 30
 Indianapolis, IN
 Egyptian Room at Murat Centre

AUGUST 2
 Cincinati, OH - Bogarts

AUGUST 3
 Columbus, OH - Promowest Pavilion

AUGUST 4
 Cleveland, OH - Tower City Amphitheatre
T.Rex

sonickteam2

Re: GW Smith Center - The White Stripes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 08:20:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  What kind of venue is the GW Smith Center?  Arena or Auditorium.  Anyone attend a show there.  The reason I ask is simple

JULY 26
 Washington DC - GW Smith Center

The Smith Center is where GWU plays basketball.  Its the gym, basically. I have seen shows at AU and Towson and UMBC's gyms and they are all similar. General Admission with a chance to score a seat if you wanted, maybe just bleachers.The sound should be decent. nothing spectacular . hope that helps.  Thanks for posting the info.  i am waiting already!

lily1

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2003, 08:28:00 am »
its just a gym. i haven't seen a concert there. i know some people who have and the sound is okay, not great. i think its bigger than bender arena, but i'm not certain. at least its metro accessible.

redsock

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2003, 10:10:00 am »
I've seen a few shows at GW, having gone there for college, and they have improved the sound a lot lately. You can get really close to acts that usually play places like Nissan etc... There are bleacher seats, or you can stand. It's still an arena, but over-all, not a bad palce to see a show. At least based on my experience.

I saw Counting Crows there last year(keep your comments to yourself), and the sound was really really good. good hear the vocals crystal clear.

lily1

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2003, 10:13:00 am »
hey sockie, what year did you graduate and which college? i'm elliott school, '97.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2003, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  I've seen a few shows at GW, having gone there for college, and they have improved the sound a lot lately. You can get really close to acts that usually play places like Nissan etc... There are bleacher seats, or you can stand. It's still an arena, but over-all, not a bad palce to see a show. At least based on my experience.

I saw Counting Crows there last year(keep your comments to yourself), and the sound was really really good. good hear the vocals crystal clear.
the counting crows rule and now that i think about it, i saw them there last year too!  i thought it was Bender though.  Good show, always. In fact, i am going to see them again this year.

redsock

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2003, 02:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  hey sockie, what year did you graduate and which college? i'm elliott school, '97.
I'm Columbian School '98. It seems odd that so many people on this board aren't even from this country much less DC, even mucher less GW. I know skaboss used to date a girl from GW, but that's it. Oh well.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2003, 04:36:00 pm »
I can honestly think of a few worse venues...AU Bender Arena, Patriot Center, Nissan Pavilion.  Honestly, the Smith Center isn't very rock'n'roll, but it ain't that bad.  I went to a show there that was sold out, had plenty of room to dance around and the sound was decent.  The White Stripes are supposed to be pretty low-fi anyway!   ;)  I'd be game to go check it out if tickets aren't too expensive.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2003, 06:38:00 pm »
When I read Smith Center, I had a confused moment of thinking it was the Bender Arena...  I actually went to a show at the Smith Center a few years ago, and the stage was sideways/longways -so that everyone had a pretty good view. I'm really looking forward to the show -and it's a Saturday night!

paige

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2003, 06:42:00 pm »
yeah, the smith center is kind of weird but it was a good venue when i saw the faint and no doubt last summer. not as horrible as the patriot center or nissan! and a little smaller than bender.. i think