Author Topic: new years ideas??  (Read 4014 times)

walkonby

new years ideas??
« on: November 19, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
so i see that the black crowes are playing msg in new york on new years, but i've already seen them twice this year . . . so can anybody suggest some cool events to go to this new years eve?  most genres of music, except (c)rap or cuntry, will do just fine.  thanks.

azaghal1981

Re: new years ideas??
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 10:13:00 pm »
biscuits at hammerstein? You're one of the few jamband fans on here so I thought I'd  throw it out there. And you'll have a choice between brothers past, the new deal and infected mushroom as a late night.
احمد

lily1

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 10:36:00 pm »
go see the frames play in ireland. www.frames.ie

distance

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 10:42:00 pm »
i'm still waiting on the announcement of a flaming lips NYE show (headlining preferred)...
 however if i had the $$ i'd consider the frog brigade show in SF.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 12:07:00 am »
Im thinking of being at the club for the robert randolph show
FUKIT

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 07:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by distance:
  i'm still waiting on the announcement of a flaming lips NYE show (headlining preferred)...
 however if i had the $$ i'd consider the frog brigade show in SF.
yes, anything with les involved would be particularly awesome . . . but san fran is so far.  and the flaming lips would draw me out as well.  

and i'm fading fast from the days of jam band bliss.  straight nose diving back into the roots of power driven guitar funk and other promises of alternation.  just the other day, i found myself liking a smith's song.  oh the humanity.

Arlette

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 10:45:00 pm »
Have you guys checked out the Benevento/Russo Duo?  (In jamband land simply called The Duo.)

I saw them the other night and was very impressed.  It's not actually "jam" music, though they improvise (their longest song is probably 7 minutes, not 18).  It's just the two of them (keys and drums), with some machines and samples, but it's almost indie-type music, without vocals.  They get a little avante/jazzy, but generally, it's just a good groove.  

Not suggesting them for NYE (I think they're doing something with Mike Gordon), but I'm interested to hear what people who may have an inclination to Robert Randolph, Biscuits, Particle, etc. ,think of them.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
anyone got access to place, other than a bar, where a bunch of people can get together drink, dance and have fun? i'll dj and am not afraid to use the bon jovi...
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 03:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  anyone got access to place, other than a bar, where a bunch of people can get together drink, dance and have fun? i'll dj and am not afraid to use the bon jovi...
you're such a cowboy . . . on a steel horse.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 03:12:00 pm »
If anyone will be in the Chicago area, check out Robbie Fulks at Fitzgerald's. A more entertaining New Years Eve show you will not find.

Or see Drive By Truckers in Boulder.

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 07:03:00 pm »
I caught their set at camp bisco this summer; would definitely see them again. Their album "best reason to buy the sun" is a great listen too. They're actually playing at the state with Mike Gordon on 12/27. I plan on going to that and then the 4-night biscuits run. :-D

Originally posted by Arlette:
  Have you guys checked out the Benevento/Russo Duo?  (In jamband land simply called The Duo.)

I saw them the other night and was very impressed.  It's not actually "jam" music, though they improvise (their longest song is probably 7 minutes, not 18).  It's just the two of them (keys and drums), with some machines and samples, but it's almost indie-type music, without vocals.  They get a little avante/jazzy, but generally, it's just a good groove.  

Not suggesting them for NYE (I think they're doing something with Mike Gordon), but I'm interested to hear what people who may have an inclination to Robert Randolph, Biscuits, Particle, etc. ,think of them.
احمد

eltee

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 05:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
Talk to snailhook? Maybe Fl. Ave?

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 08:38:00 pm »
For this new years I was thinking of flying to Fiji and being the first to celebrate the New Year, then taking a party boat to American Somoa and being the last to celebrate this year's passing.

But I think about doing this every New Year's.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 08:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  I caught their set at camp bisco this summer; would definitely see them again. Their album "best reason to buy the sun" is a great listen too. They're actually playing at the state with Mike Gordon on 12/27. I plan on going to that and then the 4-night biscuits run. :-D

Originally posted by Arlette:

[/b]
and "conspirator" is playing the state on 12/9.

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 09:56:00 pm »
Yes, yes they are. Can't wait. They're also at the 8x10 the next night.
احمد