Author Topic: Josh Rouse, 1972  (Read 3841 times)

Josh Rouse, 1972
« on: September 09, 2003, 09:51:00 am »
Has anybody heard anything off of this album yet?

Josh Rouse's 1972 gives away the game in the first line of the first song, the exquisite title track, when he name-checks Carole King. The record is going back in time and it is going to have fun doing it. Rouse's records have always been highly literate and highly musical, but they have never been fun like this, and make no mistake, 1972 is a fun record. Rouse sounds as loose as a goose and the songs reflect that. Not always lyrically, as some of the songs touch on such non-fun subjects as loneliness, repression, and bitterness, but definitely musically. To that end, Brad Jones' production is spot-on perfect â?? not an instrument is out of place and the whole record has a jaunty bounce and a lush dreaminess. 1972 is coated with sonic goodness: fluttering strings, piping horns, cotton-candy sweet flutes, funky percussion, handclaps, and great backing vocals. Rouse and Jones find inspiration in all the right places: in the laid-back groove of Al Green, the California haze of Fleetwood Mac, the dreamy melancholia of Nick Drake, the sexy groove of Marvin Gaye, and the wordy lilt of Jackson Browne or James Taylor. The songs are the strongest batch Rouse has written yet. "Love Vibration" is the hit single; it has everything a hit single needs: musical hooks, lyrical hooks, vocal hooks, a smoldering sax solo (optional), and a groovy video. Other songs that are sure to be in heavy rotation are "James," a funky ballad that shows off Rouse's wonderful falsetto (as does "Comeback [Light Therapy]") and takes time for that most elusive creature, a good flute solo; "Under Your Charms," a sultry, sensual ballad that takes a potentially squirm-inducing subject and actually does it right, Marvin-style; and "Rise," a beautifully orchestrated epic that ends the record on a perfect note. 1972 should vault Rouse to the forefront of intelligent pop alongside kindred spirits like Joe Pernice and Kurt Wagner (of Lambchop). If you say you've heard a better adult pop record this year, you are lying. [Initial pressings of the album came complete with a bonus DVD featuring the video for "Love Vibration" and a short documentary about Josh Rouse and his music. The first 100 copies even came with autographed liner notes.]

jadetree

Re: Josh Rouse, 1972
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 09:53:00 am »
I saw the video, it was awful, I liked Dressed Up Like Nebraska but have not purchased any of the albums since.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 10:01:00 am »
I just listened to clips on Amazon, and they seemed to suck.

why does 98% of all music released today suck? who told some of these people that they were talented? is it their schoolteachers who told them how brilliant they were rather than being honest with them?

allmy$to930

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 10:05:00 am »
I like all of his discs...although Dressed Up Like Nebraska was the only disc that I immediately fell in love with.

I bought 1972 a week ago and it has really grown on me. I think it is a perfect album for a Sunday afternoon.

I saw that Today's WP Express compared 1972 to Wilco's Summerteeth...horrible comparison. Although I think both are great.

chknfngrs

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 10:29:00 am »
he's much better live. go see him in october at the cat.

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I just listened to clips on Amazon, and they seemed to suck.

why does 98% of all music released today suck? who told some of these people that they were talented? is it their schoolteachers who told them how brilliant they were rather than being honest with them?
98% of the music has always sucked, it is just now that more people can DIY you see and are offered more of the crap that before was impossible to find.

markie

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 10:39:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

[qb]  you see and are offered more of the crap that before was impossible to find. [/b]
alternatively, music is fracturing into thousands of sub-genres. Its not like the olden days of teddys and rockers or punks, where a musical style would unite everyone.

Nowadays youf does not seem to be as clearly defined by the music it listens too. Musics importance is being erroded by other media. Possibly because music is not very dangerous or cutting edge anymore. If your parents like it too, well then what is the point?

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 10:53:00 am »
Do you really still believe this cliched question?

My mom has never had that much of an interest in music, but my dad actually had GOOD taste in music. I'm glad that he passed some of his tastes on to me.

Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:

Originally posted by Sir HC:
 [qb]
 [qb]   If your parents like it too, well then what is the point? [/b]

markie

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 10:57:00 am »
  Do you really still believe this cliched question?

In a naive way, yes. not that it affected my life my dad loved elvis and my mum the beatles. I am still in favour of my dad.

but back in their day rock really was music your parents wouldnt like, thats when it was most interesting and had an air of danger....

jadetree

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 11:00:00 am »

but back in their day rock really was music your parents wouldnt like, thats when it was most interesting and had an air of danger....
Yeah, my mom really hated Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet, as much as I tried to convince them otherwise and my Dad hates Dave Matthews, Dave Matthews is dangerous

mankie

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 11:02:00 am »

Rhett, you're beginning to sound more like me everyday my man....just thought you'd better hear it from me rather than your friends.  ;)  

On the same theme, what's going to happen to sports when these kids that now have to play games were there's no loser because they want "positive reinforcement and encouragement" grow up? IMHO it's much more important to learn how to be a good loser than it is to learn how to be a winner. Maybe we're seeing the beginnings of it with steroid use and cheating etc.

ggw

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 11:03:00 am »
Originally posted by jadetree:

Yeah, my mom really hated Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet, as much as I tried to convince them otherwise and my Dad hates Dave Matthews, Dave Matthews is dangerous [/b]
I bet they both liked Hootie......

markie

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 11:03:00 am »
Originally posted by jadetree:
  Dave Matthews is dangerous [/QB]
Are you trying to say Elvis and his music didnt bring about change in the culture?

jadetree

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2003, 11:04:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 I bet they both liked Hootie......
only the early stuff, you know, before they sold out

jadetree

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 11:05:00 am »
  Are you trying to say Elvis and his music didnt bring about change in the culture?
Are you saying Bon Jovi did?