Author Topic: Mogwai Roll Call  (Read 9698 times)

markie

Re: Mogwai Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2003, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

so it kinda goes back to bad reason #1 and #4
#1, you are so nice I am sure you would make friends wherever you went.

#4 ever thought that it may be more expensive here because it is a better place to live?

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 10:55:00 am »
GGW:  

this is for you.....

http://www.safestreetsdc.com/subpages/murdercap.html

April 24, 2003

John@SafeStreetsDC.com

DC IS AGAIN 'MURDER CAPITAL', NEW STUDY SHOWS
 - District had Highest Big-City Murder Rate in 2002
 - DC Murder Rate Soared as Other Cities Saw Decline

(Washington, DC) Washington, DC is once again the nation's 'Murder Capital," according to a new study released today.

The study, conducted by SafeStreetsDC.com (www.SafeStreetsDC.com), a public safety watchdog group, compared the annual number of murders per 100,000 residents in American cities with populations greater than 500,000. This was the same standard used to determine DC's previous rank as murder capital. In compiling the data, the group relied on homicide statistics from the FBI and police department homicide units from around the country.

According to the numbers, DC outranked all major cities, and is again the nation's "murder capital."

Immediately following DC on the list were Detroit (the winner in 2001), Baltimore, Memphis, Chicago and Philadelphia (in that order).

Other notable rankings included: Los Angeles (9), Dallas (10), Boston (18), San Francisco (24), and New York (25). Last on the list was Honolulu, ranked 32d with only 18 murders, in spite of its population of nearly 900,000.

DC, by comparison, with nearly 600,000 residents, had 262 murders last year.

DC's soaring homicide rate also defied national trends showing a slight drop in murders. In spite of the fact that the number of total murders in all 32 cities dropped 1.2% in 2002 as compared to 2001, DC saw a nearly 13% increase in its murder rate in 2002, giving it the 6th-highest increase among the cities surveyed.

"Nationally the murder rate hardly changed, yet in DC it soared last year," said John Aravosis, cofounder of SafeStreetsDC.com and co-author of the study along with Matt Forman. "DC officials clearly can't blame the city's increasing murder rate on the worsening economy or other national trends since most other cities facing the same pressures did not see the same increase in homicides."

The largest jump in the 2002 murder rate was in Columbus, which saw a nearly 60% increase last year, immediately followed by San Jose (+27%), Tucson (+21%), Jacksonville (+20%), and Denver (+18%).

On the other end of the spectrum, El Paso had the greatest decline in its murder rate last year (-30%). The percentage change in the murder rate of other notable cities in 2002 include: Los Angeles (+12%), Detroit (+2%), Baltimore (-1%), Chicago (-3%), Philadelphia (-7%), Boston (-8%), New York (-10%), and Dallas (-20%).

The study also cast doubt on another factor often used by DC officials to explain the city's increasing crime rate: the demands of Homeland Security.

"We were surprised to find that New York had a 10% drop in homicides last year, as DC officials often blame the District's increasing crime rate on the demands of post-September 11 security," Aravosis said. "Yet New York, which surely faces as great a threat as Washington, has managed to improve its murder rate."

The study also found that in 2001 DC was the murder capital "runner up."

This year, according to the DC Metropolitan Police Department, murder in the District is up over 21% from last year, and at the current pace, Washington could see 325 murders in 2003 as compared to last year's 262. (Source: Washington Post)

"We were the murder capital runner-up in 2001, we won the title in 2002, and 2003 is already being heralded as a record year for death in the District," said Aravosis. "All of this proves that this year's 21% jump in homicides is hardly a temporary fluke. It's been building for years."

SafeStreetsDC.com is a web-based ad hoc coalition of District of Columbia citizens and police officers working to improve public safety and hometown security. SafeStreetsDC.com founder, John Aravosis, is a nationally-known Internet activist best known for his year 2000 StopDrLaura.com web campaign. The campaign brought citizen pressure to bear in convincing corporate sponsors to withdraw from Dr. Laura Schlessinger's television talk show ultimately leading to the cancellation of the show.

--- www.safestreetsdc.com ---

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 10:57:00 am »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:

so it kinda goes back to bad reason #1 and #4
#1, you are so nice I am sure you would make friends wherever you went.

#4 ever thought that it may be more expensive here because it is a better place to live? [/b]
i am NOT nice...and i dont want new friends  ;)

and does it really matter how nice a place to live is, if i cant afford $800 a month rent?

markie

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 11:01:00 am »
  ]i am NOT nice...and i dont want new friends   ;)  

The DC statistics are both much worse and better then they appear. I wonder how many people got shot in the north of the city, and how many of the were white?

sonickteam2

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 11:05:00 am »

]i am NOT nice...and i dont want new friends    ;)  

The DC statistics are both much worse and better then they appear. I wonder how many people got shot in the north of the city, and how many of the were white? [/b]
well, thats another reason, markie.  I dont really like how extremely seperated DC is.  Its extremely poor to extremely rich, much more so than in any other city that i have ever been to.

jadetree

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 11:08:00 am »
  well, thats another reason, markie.  I dont really like how extremely seperated DC is.  Its extremely poor to extremely rich, much more so than in any other city that i have ever been to.
Most American cities are extremely separated, DC less so than most

ggw

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2003, 11:09:00 am »
  GGW:  

this is for you.....
  http://www.safestreetsdc.com/subpages/murdercap.html

Listen to the story titled "Baltimore Teens Vote" from NPR this morning:

http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgDate=09-Sep-2003&prgId=3

Different criteria I suppose.

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2003, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by jadetree:

Most American cities are extremely separated, DC less so than most [/b]
well, we all have our opinions dont we  :)

ggw

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2003, 11:15:00 am »

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

[qb] per-capita murder capital. [/b]
I thought Chicago is #1, the new figures came out last week.

Or was Chicago the violent crime capital? [/b]
You are right too!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0301160232jan16,0,1742768.story

Every city wants to be the murder capital......

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2003, 11:16:00 am »
thats amazing.

I thought Baltimore, DC and Detroit were always the top 3  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2003, 11:18:00 am »
This study only counts cities with over 1 million people....which neither Baltimore OR DC have (and probably not Detroit either)

ggw

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2003, 11:21:00 am »
  This study only counts cities with over 1 million people....which neither Baltimore OR DC have (and probably not Detroit either)
And the NPR study probably looked at the largest 25 cities in the US.

The safestreet study looked at those cities with populations over 500k.

If we kept going down, perhaps Gary, Indiana or East St. Louis could get the recognition they so richly deserve.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2003, 11:24:00 am »
I will be at the Mogwai show tonight. I can't imagine it topping the excellent Ottobar show but here's hoping it does! I will most likely be giving up my usual front+center spot and be up in the balcony -away from the direct hit of the speakers.

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2003, 11:41:00 am »
Having lived both in Baltimore and in DC, I'd take Baltimore over DC in an instant. Like many other DC people, I'm here because of my job.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2003, 11:46:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Having lived both in Baltimore and in DC, I'd take Baltimore over DC in an instant. Like many other DC people, I'm here because of my job.
i sit here astonished.  but i agree.  i think there is more of a neighborly feel to Baltimore, more sense of community. (yes, i know we kill each other a lot) but i did only live in DC for 6 months.  I would pick Boston over both of them though...i