Author Topic: Mogwai Roll Call  (Read 9699 times)

ggw

Re: Mogwai Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2003, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Having lived both in Baltimore and in DC, I'd take Baltimore over DC in an instant. Like many other DC people, I'm here because of my job.
How shallow and materialistic.....

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2003, 11:53:00 am »
Boston is a cool city, but for me it's:

1. Too big. I tend to prefer smaller cities where the commute is less horrible and the countryside is closer.
 2. Too cold. I grew up in the Northeast, and am glad I don't have to put up with the long winters anymore.
 3. Too expensive. Even more so that DC.

For some reasons, I wish I had never moved away from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Good music scene, ocean and mountains not too far away, liberal population, mild weather, and relatively affordable housing.

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Having lived both in Baltimore and in DC, I'd take Baltimore over DC in an instant. Like many other DC people, I'm here because of my job.
i sit here astonished.  but i agree.  i think there is more of a neighborly feel to Baltimore, more sense of community. (yes, i know we kill each other a lot) but i did only live in DC for 6 months.  I would pick Boston over both of them though...i [/b]

jadetree

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2003, 11:56:00 am »

For some reasons, I wish I had never moved away from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. Good music scene, ocean and mountains not too far away, liberal population, mild weather, and relatively affordable housing.

sounds like you should move to Portland, OR like I hope to one day

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2003, 11:59:00 am »
Portland would be a logical choice, but I wouldn't move there right now. Oregon leads the country in unemployment, and Washington State is second.

Plus, they aint got NASCAR out there like the do in North Cacalacky.

Originally posted by jadetree:

sounds like you should move to Portland, OR like I hope to one day [/b]

sonickteam2

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2003, 12:03:00 pm »

1. Too big. I tend to prefer smaller cities where the commute is less horrible and the countryside is closer.
 2. Too cold. I grew up in the Northeast, and am glad I don't have to put up with the long winters anymore.

yes Boston is WAY too expensive.  but there is plenty of countryside not far from Boston and its ON the ocean (granted the beaches are quite atrocious in the Boston area)

but yes, my $1900 a month for a 2 BR apt was too much.
   and i dont mind when the wind chill is 15 below....call me crazy  :)

Bags

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2003, 12:11:00 pm »
Wow, what's your rent in Baltimore?  I'd think the $800 you quoted in DC for a one bedroom and the $1900 for two in Boston is pretty damn good.  

yes Boston is WAY too expensive.  but there is plenty of countryside not far from Boston and its ON the ocean (granted the beaches are quite atrocious in the Boston area)

and i dont mind when the wind chill is 15 below....call me crazy   :)  [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2003, 12:18:00 pm »

the couple time i've been in this area i really enjoyed it... it right now is the top of a very short list of places worth moving to.  if i was staying in the area,  baltimore is my choice for finding a bigger and affordable place to live.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2003, 12:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  Wow, what's your rent in Baltimore?  I'd think the $800 you quoted in DC for a one bedroom and the $1900 for two in Boston is pretty damn good.  
the $800 a month rent was sharing a room in a $1600 2 BR apt.

and the Boston apt was 600 sq ft.

I am living in a 950 sq ft. 2 Br for less than $1000 now, heat included.

Bags

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2003, 12:55:00 pm »
Whew, point made.  How do you even get two bedrooms in 600 sq feet?!?

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2003, 12:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by bags:
  Whew, point made.  How do you even get two bedrooms in 600 sq feet?!?
very carefully

lily1

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2003, 01:35:00 pm »
boston is so not that cold! i grew up there, well, near cape cod. january is a bit nippy but other than that, the weather is great. snow, a real autumn, a summer you can actually enjoy. and the OCEAN! but i grew up on the beach so i was lucky.

and boston isn't anymore or less expensive than dc. at least boston doesn't have tax on groceries and clothes, and the restaurant tax is only 5%

but like any city, its has its positives and negatives.

i'm proud to be a masshole though! woo hoo! long live the massholes from the massoftwoshits!

and i dont mind when the wind chill is 15 below....call me crazy   :)  [/b]

lily1

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2003, 01:40:00 pm »
back to mogwai topic at hand. how's the ticket situation looking? if i get there at 9 am i sol? and how different are their shows from the albums. they seem to make some big departures in styles on the cds they have released so i'm not sure what to expect. some times its more lush sounding, sometimes not, and that whole thing that the concerts are outrageously loud. ie, i'm not sure what to expect in terms of genre presented tonight. anyone help?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2003, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by lily1:
  back to mogwai topic at hand. how's the ticket situation looking? if i get there at 9 am i sol? and how different are their shows from the albums. they seem to make some big departures in styles on the cds they have released so i'm not sure what to expect. some times its more lush sounding, sometimes not, and that whole thing that the concerts are outrageously loud. ie, i'm not sure what to expect in terms of genre presented tonight. anyone help?
quiet, quiet, LOUD, LOUD, LOUD, quiet.  and by loud, i mean ear piercing loud. . .imagine standing behind an airplane engine loud.
OU812

lily1

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2003, 01:53:00 pm »
i will be sure to stand on the balcony this time and bring ear plugs.

but, not to sound like a fuddy duddy, why be that loud if its painful to your fans?

think it will sell out?

dtqjr

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2003, 05:16:00 pm »
I'm going because of the great show they put on at the Ottobar last year.  And it was indeed LOUD LOUD LOUD.  I had earplugs in and I still had loss of hearing for a few days afterwards.