Author Topic: Song Lyrics Quiz  (Read 4145 times)

DAV10250

Song Lyrics Quiz
« on: June 02, 2003, 02:10:00 pm »
Can anyone help me out on this extremely obscure question?  There was an indie/alternative song out in the mid-90's that had a chorus like "...if your friends with Pete, then you're friends with me" song.  I cannot find the title/artist for this song, and I have been searching on Google for hours. For the sake of my employer and my sanity, can anyone help?

Venerable Bede

Re: Song Lyrics Quiz
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2003, 02:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by DAV10250:
  Can anyone help me out on this extremely obscure question?  There was an indie/alternative song out in the mid-90's that had a chorus like "...if your friends with Pete, then you're friends with me" song.  I cannot find the title/artist for this song, and I have been searching on Google for hours. For the sake of my employer and my sanity, can anyone help?
it's "friends of P," by the rentals.
OU812

DAV10250

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2003, 02:16:00 pm »
Both me and my shrink thank you, that was damn quick!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 02:18:00 pm »
no problem. . .the rentals were led by matt sharp, of weezer, on vocals and bass, and the sisters hayden (from that dog).  saw them once open for blur- that was a rather fun show.
OU812

DAV10250

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 02:25:00 pm »
Since you were so good with that one, here's another question.  I saw Joe Strummer (RIP) at the 9:30 a year ago, and there was this AWSOME ska band that opened, and I think there were called The Players.  However, I have been unable to locate any CDs from this band.  First, do you know if that was the name of the opening act, and second any idea where to find any of their material?

Bags

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
Did the that dog gals do any singing for The Rentals??  that dog. is one of my top ten bands, and I love, love the new album by Anna Waronker.

ggw

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 02:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by DAV10250:
  Since you were so good with that one, here's another question.  I saw Joe Strummer (RIP) at the 9:30 a year ago, and there was this AWSOME ska band that opened, and I think there were called The Players.  However, I have been unable to locate any CDs from this band.  First, do you know if that was the name of the opening act, and second any idea where to find any of their material?
Yes, that was the band.

You can get their CD here:

http://www.theplayersband.com/

Captain Jack

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 08:34:00 pm »
Yeah man, the Players used to rock the shit of the ska scene. Their CD 'instrumental' is bomb. While still remaining fine musicians, the heart of their live show, the wild Trumpet Player Bobby T. left the band for an orchestra deal in Boston. The Players now have a singer, but I still remember the days when they had a wild trumpeteer who'd pour beer on his head and throw money in to the crowd.

SchneiderPlayer

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 10:00:00 pm »
Andy from The Players here...If you haven't seen us in a while we have really refined our sound.  We have a new trumpet player, a new bass player, keys, and a brand new CD called "Hate the Game."  Our live show has also come a long way since the Strummer show (11/02).  If you get the chance to com eout to one of our shows, you'll see what I'm talkin about.  The energy, sound, instrumentation, and show are at a whole new level.  We would love to get back into the 9:30 club especially since we haven't played there in a year and a half, and since we sold out (850 people) the Recher Theatre for our CD release party with our friends the Toasters.  Anyhow here is our current lineup:

Sat Jun 07 Lucille’s @ The Power Plant Live--  Play 10:30pm-2:00am
 Fri Jun 13 Bay Cafe. Canton— 6pm-10pm
 Sat Jun 14 Golden Bar & Grill. Ellicott City.  9:30pm-1:30am  
 Fri Jun 20 Felix. Adams Morgan, DC —  with PMP
 Sat Jun 21 Iampsfest, at Power Plant Live – 3:20pm-4:00pm—  
 Sat Jun 21 Safeway’s National Capital Barbecue Battle – Famous Dave’s Rock & Reggae Music Stage (Pennsylvania Ave. at 13th St., NW), Pennsylvania Avenue between 7th and 13th Streets, 8:30-10:00pm  
 Sun Jun 22 Merrithon w/The What: Merritthon Leukemia Benefit Concert.  
 Where:  Winston Churchill High School. With - The Pietasters
 Fri Jul 04 Bay Cafe. Canton— 6pm-10pm
 Fri Jul 11 Mellow Beach, Ocean City—  
 Sat Jul 12 Mellow Beach, Ocean City—  
 Sun Jul 27 Bay Cafe. Canton— 4pm-8pm

Check the website for everything else, and I hope y'all can make it out to a show soon!

Andy
 http://www.theplayersband.com

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 07:38:26 pm »
Whoa. Hall of fame moment here.

vansmack

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 02:57:57 pm »
Whoa. Hall of fame moment here.

How on earth did you stumble on to this thread?

Venerable mocks your Google....
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 03:19:57 pm »
and The Players Band web link and group is still a going concern  8)

T.Rex

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2022, 05:37:16 pm »
Listening now to 1st album.  Good stuff.  Nice to know ska lives in B-more!