Author Topic: over the hill?  (Read 7102 times)

markie

Re: over the hill?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2003, 03:46:00 pm »
I would like to repeat David Gedge and Matt Johnson.....

and add a Mark E Smith of the Fall. I dont know if he got better, but it appears to me he just stayed the same.

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2003, 03:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  The guys from the Flaming Lips are well into their forties.  I hate their early pre-Transmissions stuff.

Flaming Lips....you should win a prize, though, i did not know they were in thier forties, and some would say they are not rock....but someone always does.

sonickteam2

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2003, 03:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  I would like to repeat David Gedge and Matt Johnson.....

and add a Mark E Smith of the Fall. I dont know if he got better, but it appears to me he just stayed the same.
Dave Gedge very good shit.

markie

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2003, 03:49:00 pm »

Massive Attack.  Forget which guy is in his 40's, but they didn't get rolling until the second album.  Daddy G I think is the old fart.

WHAT?

their first album is a masterpiece. It created the whole trip hop genre. I didnt think any of the main members of Massive attack were that old. Horace Andy who always does some of the vocals is, he was a great reggae guy in the 70's.

Sir HC

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2003, 03:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

The guys from the Flaming Lips are well into their forties.  I hate their early pre-Transmissions stuff.

Flaming Lips....you should win a prize, though, i did not know they were in thier forties, and some would say they are not rock....but someone always does. [/b]
Have an article from around the time of Clouds Taste Metallic.  When Transmissions came out they were mid-thirties.

Sir HC

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2003, 03:52:00 pm »

Massive Attack.  Forget which guy is in his 40's, but they didn't get rolling until the second album.  Daddy G I think is the old fart.

WHAT?

their first album is a masterpiece. It created the whole trip hop genre. I didnt think any of the main members of Massive attack were that old. Horace Andy who always does some of the vocals is, he was a great reggae guy in the 70's. [/b]
It hasn't aged as well as the others to me.  It was brilliant and started a movement but then they got better.  Mezzanine to me is their peak.  Yeah, Daddy G supposedly was doing sound systems for years before Massive Attack.

Sir HC

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2003, 03:54:00 pm »
Oh yeah and how can we forget Sonic Youth?

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2003, 03:55:00 pm »
  Oh yeah and how can we forget Sonic Youth?
but i dont think they are better now. than in the 80s.

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2003, 03:57:00 pm »
Why would someone say Flaming Lips are not a rock band?

Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Flaming Lips....you should win a prize, though, i did not know they were in thier forties, and some would say they are not rock....but someone always does. [/b]

markie

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2003, 03:58:00 pm »
from the best I could find:

"Daddy G's is around mid-December 1959 (Sagittarius), and 3D's is around late January/mid-February 1966 "

so if that is right, makes Mezzanine mostly done before he was 40. I really dont see them doing anything worthwhile again. 100 broken windows is approaching unlistenable.

I still think blue lines is the best. Hymn of the big wheel and for the complete sound of the album.

Sir HC

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »
  from the best I could find:

"Daddy G's is around mid-December 1959 (Sagittarius), and 3D's is around late January/mid-February 1966 "

so if that is right, makes Mezzanine mostly done before he was 40. I really dont see them doing anything worthwhile again. 100 broken windows is approaching unlistenable.

I still think blue lines is the best. Hymn of the big wheel and for the complete sound of the album.
I based it on an interview with them when Mezzanine came out with him saying he was 40.  It was Option Magazine, still have it around somewhere, will look at the date and all.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2003, 04:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Why would someone say Flaming Lips are not a rock band?
[/QB][/QUOTE]

crazy people, thats who!

markie

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2003, 04:07:00 pm »
   when Mezzanine came out with him saying he was 40.  
that would fit, but they had been working on Mezzanine for 3 years before it was released. So he probably wasnt 40 when working on it.

Bags

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2003, 06:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I thought Tom Petty was a folk artist.

What??  Man, he's the grandaddy of southern rock, in all its forms.

Bags

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2003, 06:32:00 pm »
Bob Mould, yes

Paul Westerberg, NO

Bob Pollard, yes

You said aged well, not better, right?  If that's the premise, I think Pollard is better, Mould is excellent but early 90s was almost unbeatable, and Westerberg just makes me sad.