Author Topic: over the hill?  (Read 7103 times)

sonickteam2

over the hill?
« on: September 09, 2003, 02:59:00 pm »
OK, at the record store last night, we got into a rather interesting conversation, that i think you guys can eat up.
    We were thinking of "rock" bands/musicians that have actually aged well.
    Basically, bands that have put out better records post 40ish than pre 40ish.

I could only think of Tom Petty really.
   Anyone else?   and no , country/folk/blues/jazz...dont count, we are talking ROCK!

markie

Re: over the hill?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 03:27:00 pm »
u2 and REM, and the stones and Paul McCartney......

Oh wait, all of them are shite now.

How about the tyde, they are all old gits and the previous incarnations of bands they were in were not nearly as good. Pretty tenuous though, huh?

Rhett might want to make a case for Nick Lowe. I would make a case for Matt Johnson of THe the. I think Joe Strummers two mescalero albums were brilliant also.

markie

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 03:29:00 pm »
And I guess David Gedge from the wedding present and now cinerama. I think Torino, his last proper album,  is his best work

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
Yeah i'd have to say Joe Strummer aged well.

sparky

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
Tom Waits.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
I thought Tom Petty was a folk artist.

I would make the case for Nick Lowe's last three albums being as good as anything he did earlier in his career.

And Neil Young's output in the 90's was excellent.

Steve Earle's albums since getting out of the clink at 40 have been better than his earlier output, with the exception of his last album.

jadetree

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 03:32:00 pm »
I think Paul Weller has aged well, not better necessarily, but he has aged well.

markie

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 03:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by jadetree:
  I think Paul Weller has aged well, not better necessarily, but he has aged well.
I think he looks and sounds good, but the music doesnt contain half the passion to be found on setting sons. Although Stanley Road was pretty great, illumination is just very solid in my opinion.

jadetree

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2003, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  I think he looks and sounds good, but the music doesnt contain half the passion to be found on setting sons. Although Stanley Road was pretty great, illumination is just very solid in my opinion.
Listened to Illumination last night, and it is good, especially like the song with Kelly Jones.

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2003, 03:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I thought Tom Petty was a folk artist.

I would make the case for Nick Lowe's last three albums being as good as anything he did earlier in his career.

And Neil Young's output in the 90's was excellent.

Steve Earle's albums since getting out of the clink at 40 have been better than his earlier output, with the exception of his last album.
yeah, Tom Petty could be called folk, and so could anything Neil Young has done lately.  But those are two good ones, and Nick Lowe.  I knew you people were smarter than record store clerks  ;)

markie

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2003, 03:39:00 pm »
I like the second of the bonus tracks..... The kelly song did prick up my ears as well though.

ggw

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2003, 03:41:00 pm »
There are many who are above 40 and still good, but I can't think of any "rock" artist who is better after 40 than before.  Rock is a young man's game.

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2003, 03:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  There are many who are above 40 and still good, but I can't think of any "rock" artist who is better after 40 than before.  Rock is a young man's game.
That was why it was such as intriguing conversation.  get it?

Sir HC

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2003, 03:45:00 pm »
The guys from the Flaming Lips are well into their forties.  I hate their early pre-Transmissions stuff.

Morphine's M. Sandman was in his 40's when he started the band.  So I guess everything before that was crap as there was nothing.

Fred Schnieder from the B-52s.  Still looks the same.  No new albums though.

Helios Creed.  His work has been getting better with  age.  Didn't really like his early stuff, though I haven't listened to Chrome.

Mission of Burma bassist Clint Connolly (or however it is spelled).  His band Consonant is great.  Though I guess the early stuff was quite good too.

Massive Attack.  Forget which guy is in his 40's, but they didn't get rolling until the second album.  Daddy G I think is the old fart.

there are more, I have to remember...

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2003, 03:46:00 pm »
Mark Sandman was the leader of Treat Her Right before Morphine. I liked them better than Morphine...

Originally posted by Sir HC:
  The guys from the Flaming Lips are well into their forties.  I hate their early pre-Transmissions stuff.

Morphine's M. Sandman was in his 40's when he started the band.  So I guess everything before that was crap as there was nothing.

Fred Schnieder from the B-52s.  Still looks the same.  No new albums though.

Helios Creed.  His work has been getting better with  age.  Didn't really like his early stuff, though I haven't listened to Chrome.

Mission of Burma bassist Clint Connolly (or however it is spelled).  His band Consonant is great.  Though I guess the early stuff was quite good too.

Massive Attack.  Forget which guy is in his 40's, but they didn't get rolling until the second album.  Daddy G I think is the old fart.

there are more, I have to remember...