Author Topic: Cartel  (Read 4760 times)

Yank

Cartel
« on: May 13, 2005, 11:36:00 am »
I hope Fico doesn't mind, or this hasn't been posted in the past (I only get a chance to read a small portion of the threads), but here's the review of Cartel's "Fleets/At Night" single that was reviewed in the May 2005 Record Collector Magazine.  

The debut release from this American five-piece has them sounding like many a good band from Manchester, Scotland and Ireland.  Indeed, the Anglophile sound is prevalent throughout these two songs.  You can hear the Northern lights of The Doves as well as the jangle-rush of Teenage Fanclub throughout this double A-side.

Fleet's rolling drums combine with atmospheric wisps of keyboards, which surround the song in a bubble of emotion, with breathy vocals summarising the relationship dichotomy with "I didn't want you to go/and I didn't want you to stay." One of the most noticable aspects is the power of Fleets.  Stripped of overly-distorted guitars, it lies in the texture of the song that teeters on the edge of an explosive bridge, which flows into the infectious chorus once more.  The crystalline riffs of All Night, prove that they can do indie rock at a Smiths-esque pace, which bolsters their sound even further.  All in all, a very impressive musical debut, that grows stronger with every play, both in the head and in the heart.

Ali MacQueen

vansmack

Re: Cartel
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 12:14:00 pm »
They're one season away from The OC if you ask me.

In two seasons, they're playing The Bait Shop.
27>34

Yank

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
I just ordered the 7" from Piccadilly Records in Manchester.  BTW, they have a small reviews of the single on their site too.

http://www.piccadillyrecords.co.uk

Just enter Cartel into their search box.

Fico

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Mr Dodgy Slapper:
  I just ordered the 7" from Piccadilly Records in Manchester.  BTW, they have a small reviews of the single on their site too.

http://www.piccadillyrecords.co.uk

Just enter Cartel into their search box.
Hmmm..cool, hadn't seen that one..what is C86??

God how I long for a gig at the bait shop...too bad Rachel Bilson is taken..I'd luve to chat her up..lil miss vixen...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Fico:
 what is C86??
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=77:4556

In 1986, the British music weekly NME issued a cassette dubbed C-86, which included a number of bands â?? McCarthy, the Wedding Present, Primal Scream, the Pastels, and the Bodines among them â?? influenced in equal measure by the jangly guitar pop of the Smiths, the three-chord naivete of the Ramones, and the nostalgic sweetness of the girl group era. Also dubbed "anorak pop" and "shambling" by the British press, the C-86 movement was itself short-lived, but it influenced hordes of upcoming bands on both sides of the Atlantic who absorbed the scene's key lessons of simplicity and honesty to stunning effect, resulting in music â?? given the universal label of "twee pop" â?? whose hallmarks included boy-girl harmonies, lovelorn lyrics, infectious melodies, and simple, unaffected performances.

Related Styles
 Alternative Pop/RockLo-Fi ShoegazeBritpop Twee Pop
(o|o)

Fico

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 01:27:00 pm »
Funny how different people view your music...some of my co-workers in the 35-40yr old age group say they hear a lot of Talk Talk in some of our songs...it's weird how the same people that say Interpol is a Joy Division carbon copy will say we sound like Interpol but nothing like Joy Division..i guess music perception is a tricky thing..

Yank

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 02:05:00 pm »
  Funny how different people view your music...some of my co-workers in the 35-40yr old age group say they hear a lot of Talk Talk in some of our songs...it's weird how the same people that say Interpol is a Joy Division carbon copy will say we sound like Interpol but nothing like Joy Division..i guess music perception is a tricky thing..
Yeah, and I'm looking the other way with Piccadilly Records mini review comparing you to Coldplay.    :roll:

Fico

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
I still don't get the whole Coldplay backlash...sure, I have a lot of dodgy records in my collection but I don't think that clouds the fact that Coldplay are an outstanding band...we're not trying to sound like other bands at all..but if people compare us to Coldplay I'll take that as a compliment.

ggw

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 02:11:00 pm »
 Yeah, and I'm looking the other way with Piccadilly Records mini review comparing you to Coldplay.     :roll:  
 Coldplay is an OUTSTANDING band...I'm a musician and I've yet to come across anyone who has mentioned BAuhuas as an influence...Coldplay keeps influencing current musicians and will prolly do the same for kids growing up...

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 02:12:00 pm »
So were you passing out CDs after the show last night? If so did you like the little promo I kicked in?
T.Rex

Fico

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 02:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  So were you passing out CDs after the show last night? If so did you like the little promo I kicked in?
I was Kosmo..but I got to the club only a few minutes before Kasabian's set..maybe 3 songs before they went on..I remember you played Some Cities by Doves which was pretty cool...can't wait to see the DJ list now...

The full band will be in tow for the Doves show..I'm sure they'd luv to hear some Cartel pimping  :)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 04:08:00 pm »
not scheduled to dj doves... the little promo was going on while the people were walking out the door, guess i should have coordinated that one a little better  :p
T.Rex

Yank

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 03:08:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Yeah, and I'm looking the other way with Piccadilly Records mini review comparing you to Coldplay.      :D