Author Topic: Bands you got into "too late"  (Read 5812 times)

Jaguär

Re: Bands you got into "too late"
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2003, 08:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:

Originally posted by Jaguär:

The Velvet Underground

However, I did get to see individual shows with half of them, Lou Reed, Nico, and John Cale a couple of times. Just not the same though. [/b]
arrr that's still a half dozen cool points that you get from me, though. [/b]
LOL. Remind me the next time that I see you to tell you about when I met both John Cale and Nico. They were both a fucking mess!   :roll:

SPARX

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2003, 08:09:00 pm »

The Velvet Underground

However, I did get to see individual shows with half of them, Lou Reed, Nico, and John Cale a couple of times. Just not the same though. [/b]
If you get the chance to see Mo Tucker,do it by all means.Great live show,and the recorded material is aces as well IMHO,love her stand up drumming style.Wierd that I just checked allmusicguide for her discography and the release I own isn't listed.They are usually a good source for those things.All they had was recent    :(    :confused:

Jaguär

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2003, 08:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by SPARX:

The Velvet Underground

If you get the chance to see Mo Tucker,do it by all means.Great live show,and the recorded material is aces as well IMHO,love her stand up drumming style.Wierd that I just checked allmusicguide for her discography and the release I own isn't listed.They are usually a good source for those things.All they had was recent      :(        :confused:   [/b]
Is that Maureen?

-Edit-
 Just did my own research and answered my own question.
 When the Velvet Underground was America's most admired {\avant-garde rock} band, it was easy to imagine solo success for principal songwriter Lou Reed and enigmatic Welsh multi-instrumentalist John Cale, but no one could have predicted that some of the best solo recordings from a former member of this seminal band would come from drummer Maureen (Moe) Tucker. After the demise of the Velvets, Tucker lived in relative obscurity in Douglas, GA, raising her children and working for minimum wage at a Wal-Mart -- salient points that form the thematic basis of her solo career. No longer strictly a drummer, Tucker switched to guitar, and with the help of a new generation of {\avant-rock} players (Half Japanese's Jad and David Fair, Daniel Johnston, Sonic Youth) and longtime pals (Lou Reed), began recording terse, guitar-driven songs about single motherhood, working hard for minimum wage, and hating the corporatization of rock & roll. These were proud, pissed-off songs that found a home on the wonderfully idiosyncratic indie label 50 Skidillion Watts, principally owned by Velvets fan Penn Jillette (of the comedy/magic duo Penn and Teller), who gave Tucker a regular outlet for her music. Occasionally, Tucker has had to return to the underpaying world of nine-to-five to supplement her rock & roll income, but as she released more records, her popularity in alternative rock circles has grown (especially in Europe) to the point where she can make a living as a full-time musician. Good news indeed. ~ John Dougan, All Music Guide

We can always go to the right Wal-Mart. What a freaking shame!!!

SPARX

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2003, 08:15:00 pm »
:confused:   [/qb][/QUOTE]Is that Maureen? [/QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                             Yes,very personable and gracious as well.She is extremely humble all things considered.I think she is  recording with her son these days.

SPARX

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2003, 08:24:00 pm »
 [ [/qb]
Is that Maureen?

-Edit-
 Just did my own research and answered my own question.

QB][/QUOTE]                                                                                             Aha,put in Maureen instead of Mo and got more results.The one I own is called Life In Exile After Abdication.One of the best records i've ever owned IMHO.

SPARX

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2003, 08:42:00 pm »
I've thought about this for awhile now.I guess my biggest disapoinment would have to be not seeing Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band in thier prime.Specifically,Troutmask Replica era or any of the Zappa/Beefheart collaborations.I have a Beefheart bootleg live in KC in 74,1st time they played there and it smokes!When he was on,WOW!!

andyrichter

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2003, 08:42:00 pm »
smashing pumpkins
 nirvana

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2003, 08:48:00 pm »
bilge

Bags

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2003, 08:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  ..... I think the 80's would have been a good time to have been a music fan in the UK.
Oh, it was, it WAS.  That said, I missed all kinds of things.  Hell, I just saw Dismemberment Plan these last two show this summer!  

I saw the Replacements on their last tour only; can you imagine how awesome their earlier shows were?  Damn.  

I never saw the Clash.
   :(  

But, I was on the very forefront of R.E.M.  They opened for the Police in 1983, so when they came through on their Murmur tour, I caught them play a soccer field at Univ. of South Florida.  It was AWESOME.  (Haven't seen them since Radio City Music Hall in 1988).

Bags

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2003, 08:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  I used to go to a local pub behind my flat in Plymouth, one Sunday night there was some band playing but I couldn't be arsed to go listen to them..it was The Police. Don't regret it but still get a laugh out of it seeing as how big they got.
DAWG!  The Police, I think, are my life favorite.  At their Synchronicity concert in Phillie I cried three times.  I said it was because of MTV's Alan Hunter, but it was really the English blondies.

walkman

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2003, 09:19:00 pm »
  I've thought about this for awhile now.I guess my biggest disapoinment would have to be not seeing Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band in thier prime.Specifically,Troutmask Replica era or any of the Zappa/Beefheart collaborations.I have a Beefheart bootleg live in KC in 74,1st time they played there and it smokes!When he was on,WOW!!
I would have KILLED to see either early Zappa or early Beefheart or (ha!) both...

I'm also starting to worry that I may never get the chance to see Tom Waits live, period.

Jaguär

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2003, 09:30:00 pm »

I would have KILLED to see either early Zappa or early Beefheart or (ha!) both...

I'm also starting to worry that I may never get the chance to see Tom Waits live, period. [/b]
I saw Beefheart play with Zappa years and years ago in Baltimore. You know, I almost forgot all about that show.

walkman

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2003, 10:01:00 pm »

I'm also starting to worry that I may never get the chance to see Tom Waits live, period. [/b]
I saw Beefheart play with Zappa years and years ago in Baltimore. You know, I almost forgot all about that show. [/b]
Jag!  That's, what, 14 cool points in about an hour.  (I'm not worthy!)

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2003, 10:33:00 pm »
Weren't you more like about 18 or so when the VU broke up?

The Velvet Underground

Missed tons of other bands that I would have loved to have seen but mostly due to the most common reasons being other obligations, lack of money, or not knowing they were playing in town at the time.
um, wait...didn't they break up when you were about 8?

speaking of being too young...I've missed so much, but top of the list has to be My Bloody Valentine.  With the Pixies as a close second...until now! [/b]
LOL. Which was why I missed them.

I started rocking when I was very, very young. [/b]

Jaguär

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2003, 02:08:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Weren't you more like about 18 or so when the VU broke up?

The Velvet Underground

Missed tons of other bands that I would have loved to have seen but mostly due to the most common reasons being other obligations, lack of money, or not knowing they were playing in town at the time.
um, wait...didn't they break up when you were about 8?

speaking of being too young...I've missed so much, but top of the list has to be My Bloody Valentine.  With the Pixies as a close second...until now! [/b]
LOL. Which was why I missed them.

I started rocking when I was very, very young. [/b]
[/b]
:roll: