Author Topic: Bands you got into "too late"  (Read 5811 times)

Sir HC

Bands you got into "too late"
« on: September 10, 2003, 02:34:00 pm »
With this Pixies thread, was wondering about bands that you missed when you had the chance.  I did see the Pixies twice and they ruled (missed their 9:30 shows that were sold out).

Still I never got the Dismemberment plan until 2 years ago.  Saw them many times over the years on multi-bill shows, but never could really figure out how it all went together until I got "Emergency and I".  

Others that I was contemperary to but missed out on were (the) Verve, slowdive, Lilys, Kyuss, Meat Beat Manifesto, and Lo Fidelity Allstars.  I like them now, but never really saw them when they were great back in the day.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Bands you got into "too late"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 02:58:00 pm »
the jam

i always seemed to catch onto a band between the brillant/rotten point in their career
 i.e.
 simple minds "sparkle in the rain"  tour vs "once upon a time" tour
T.Rex

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 03:09:00 pm »
I didn't get into the Drive By Truckers until Southern Rock Opera, or into Slobberbone until Everything you THought was Right was Wrong Today.

Though I did know about them both long before that. Not sure why I chose to ignore them for so long.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 03:42:00 pm »
i got into xtc to late to see them live
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 03:54:00 pm »
jadetree is going to remind me all year that I should have gone to the postal service.

Personally I was too young to see any punk, post punk, or new wave bands in their prime. The smiths last show was 1986, i was only 13..... I think the 80's would have been a good time to have been a music fan in the UK.

mankie

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 03:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by Anton Newcombe:
  jadetree is going to remind me all year that I should have gone to the postal service.

Personally I was too young to see any punk, post punk, or new wave bands in their prime. The smiths last show was 1986, i was only 13..... I think the 80's would have been a good time to have been a music fan in the UK.
Oh yes it was.....and still is!  ;)

chknfngrs

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 04:00:00 pm »
smashing pumpkins

Jaguär

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 04:06:00 pm »
The Velvet Underground

Missed tons of other bands that I would have loved to have seen but mostly due to the most common reasons being other obligations, lack of money, or not knowing they were playing in town at the time.

mankie

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 04:09:00 pm »
I used to go to a local pub behind my flat in Plymouth, one Sunday night there was some band playing but I couldn't be arsed to go listen to them..it was The Police. Don't regret it but still get a laugh out of it seeing as how big they got.

flawd101

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 04:09:00 pm »
the rammones, smashing pumpkins, NIRVANA,

walkman

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 06:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  The Velvet Underground

Missed tons of other bands that I would have loved to have seen but mostly due to the most common reasons being other obligations, lack of money, or not knowing they were playing in town at the time.
um, wait...didn't they break up when you were about 8?

speaking of being too young...I've missed so much, but top of the list has to be My Bloody Valentine.  With the Pixies as a close second...until now!

Jaguär

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 06:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkman:

The Velvet Underground

speaking of being too young...I've missed so much, but top of the list has to be My Bloody Valentine.  With the Pixies as a close second...until now! [/b]
LOL. Which was why I missed them.

I started rocking when I was very, very young.

walkman

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2003, 06:44:00 pm »

Originally posted by walkman:

The Velvet Underground

speaking of being too young...I've missed so much, but top of the list has to be My Bloody Valentine.  With the Pixies as a close second...until now! [/b]
LOL. Which was why I missed them.

I started rocking when I was very, very young. [/b]
yeeeees...misread your comment to mean that you also missed the Velvets for the same reasons...and by misread, I mean I totally spaced out.  Whoops.

Jaguär

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2003, 08:02:00 pm »
  The Velvet Underground

However, I did get to see individual shows with half of them, Lou Reed, Nico, and John Cale a couple of times. Just not the same though.

walkman

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2003, 08:06:00 pm »

The Velvet Underground

However, I did get to see individual shows with half of them, Lou Reed, Nico, and John Cale a couple of times. Just not the same though. [/b]
arrr that's still a half dozen cool points that you get from me, though.