Author Topic: No Death Cab Thread?  (Read 10462 times)

Re: No Death Cab Thread?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »
Why don't you listen to classic country music?

It's got ten times the hook the Death Cab has, and certainly as least as much meaning, soul, and emotion.

Originally posted by you be betty:

Originally posted by callat703:

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I like some of the albums, but let's be honest -- these guys look like the Dungeons & Dragon club at the local community college.  What's with Walla's shirt?  Was that free with a year's membership to the Siegfried and Roy fan club?

:)   )

Sage 703

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakajima, Fired by Mascis:

Who says I don't?  How are these possibly mutually exclusive?

nkotb

« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 04:16:00 pm »
I'll listen to classic country the second George Jones plays the Baitshop!

It's got ten times the hook the Death Cab has, and certainly as least as much meaning, soul, and emotion.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 04:17:00 pm »
You're not getting the point I'm trying to make here.  I haven't come accross any other musician that has written or executed a song quite the way DCFC have been able to, and that's why I'm quite content with their music.

I like some of the albums, but let's be honest -- these guys look like the Dungeons & Dragon club at the local community college.  What's with Walla's shirt?  Was that free with a year's membership to the Siegfried and Roy fan club?

:)    )
[/b]

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
Not to knock Death Cab, but listen to some George Jones. You'll see what I'm talking about. Try this album.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4791ADA4EAF7120D49D2841DBA74CE029DC4FE9C0192F5C498DA3377ABA596CEC40A1C6CCB0E577B479A9B32AAE5B06D9CBED469CA1&sql=10:mxoibk59jak q

You're not getting the point I'm trying to make here.  I haven't come accross any other musician that has written or executed a song quite the way DCFC have been able to, and that's why I'm quite content with their music.

:)     )
[/b]
[/b]

ggw

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 04:28:00 pm »
This thread needs more posts with multiple quotes and maybe some really gigantic links and, while we're at it, maybe Dupek can post an enormous jpg.

Not to knock Death Cab, but listen to some George Jones. You'll see what I'm talking about. Try this album.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4791ADA4EAF7120D49D2841DBA74CE029DC4FE9C0192F5C498DA3377ABA596CEC40A1C6CCB0E577B479A9B32AAE5B06D9CBED469CA1&sql=10:mxoibk59jak  q

:)      )
[/b]
[/b]
[/b]

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »
neat freak.

jude376

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 05:18:00 pm »
Wow. I leave for a meeting for a few hours and look what happens?

Chicks dig the nerdy look, btw. Benny G. has been my indie rock crush since...god, I guess since We Have the Facts.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by nkotb:
  Do Death Cab have casual fans?  Seems everyone that I know that cares absolutely ADORES them.
shit yes ... they have oodles and oodles and oodles of bandwagon fans who have never heard anything other than "plans" ... i have all their commercial releases, and i like them, but don't exactly ADORE them ... so i guess you could call me a casual fan, as well ... "transatlanticism" is definitely their peak
(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 05:28:00 am »
Short Attention Span Review:

Having fun is the reason one goes out to see Franz Ferdinand and The Cribs perform live.  Tap the toes, Nod the Head, bounce around, feel young again  :D . Franz Ferdinand are the real deal and if they can shake off the second album jinx and put out an classic along the lines of "London Calling" or "War" they'll be around for awhile.  

Death Cab for Cutie remain Sonic Wallpaper with some guys spazzing about. Second song in the set "The New Year" is the one tune I really like by them, beyond that it's warble warble warble backed by nothing that make me want to tap my toes.

Tis fun to hear a load of punk bands thown in a blender and poured out which is what the Cribs provide.  I enjoy the set but feel no need to run out and buy their records.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 09:20:00 am »
<~~~~~ Cranky and it's only Weds...
T.Rex

eros

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 09:48:00 am »
I never had much of an opinion one way or the other about Constitution Hall until last night.  The sound seemed particularly bad from where I was (floor, near the back), especially for DCFC's "sonic wallpaper".

I thought both bands were great (missed the Cribs), but FF still wins out for me.
ʎɐʍou

jude376

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
I remain unconverted regarding Franz Ferdinand. Catchy and energetic? Certainly. But there's nothing really distinct about them. They're just alright.

Death Cab, as always, was great, even though the set list was almost identical to last year's 9:30 show. Depth and complexity ahoy. That's what I like about 'em - every time you listen to them, you uncover another layer.

Random observation: I'm pretty sure Benny G. was wearing the exact same shirt last night as he did at the 9:30 show. I don't know what's weirder - the fact that it was the same shirt or the fact that I noticed.

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2006, 10:01:00 am »
Who the hell is Benny G.?

ggw

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2006, 10:07:00 am »
  Who the hell is Benny G.?
Isn't he that dude with all the hair....he plays the clarinet....