Author Topic: SXSW band list posted  (Read 5509 times)

mr_eff

Re: SXSW band list posted
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2005, 12:50:00 pm »
In case someone missed it, the sxsw site has a bittorrent link for 2.6 gigs of mp3s of the some of the bands that will be playing.

http://player.sxsw.com/SXSW_2005_Showcasing_Artist_mp3s.torrent

eltee

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2005, 04:45:00 pm »
So...any post-festival wrap-ups?
 I haven't really found any articles, lists of festival little darlings...There are some pictures and AMA announced...
  Robyn's diary
  Picks&Sleepers

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2005, 04:57:00 pm »
www.popmatters.com

Originally posted by Winter Pays For Summer:
 I haven't really found any articles, lists of festival little darlings...There are some pictures and AMA announced...
  Robyn's diary
  Picks&Sleepers

ggw

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2005, 05:16:00 pm »
Splendidezine's SXSW coverage

Robyn's diary
  Picks&Sleepers

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2005, 05:39:00 pm »

I ended up not being able to make it, which I am still bitter about, even 2 days later.

However, before I just stopped taking my boys calls, they reported the New Model Army show wasn't as well attended as it should have been, Helmet moving their show at the last minute allowed more people who cared to look at their web site the opportunity to get in, there was free beer everywhere and plenty of free music everywhere during the day, everybody was in a band or new a guy in the band or was an "industry person," and beautiful girls became passe.

On  a side note, Jesse Dayton signed a deal with Universal and will be playing in SF next week.

Oh, and everybody agreed that they had to go back next year.

Sorry for the lame report, but it was just too disappointing to keep talking to these guys.
27>34

twangirl

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2005, 06:49:00 pm »
I'll post a full SXSW report within the next day or so, still recovering and catching up on work.
 Best show I saw without question was Alejandro Escovedo at the Continental Club on Sunday night, with his rock band plus a cellist from his string quartet. Raul Malo and Charlie Sexton were among the openers. Also Jon Langford and Sally Timms but I missed their set.
 I know it will end up being the best show I see this year.
 More later.

eltee

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2005, 07:03:00 pm »
thanks twangirl, I was hoping you'd submit a report.   :)  
 vansmack - that sucks you couldn't go. I feel your pain. Reading twangirl's response about Alejandro...ugh...and the fact I missed him here...(And you're right, phone calls are brutal). Well, there's always next year.
 Some of the articles are pretty good. One show-goer mentioned that stepping up from wristband to badge might be worthy. Guess I'll start saving now...  
Originally posted by twangirl:
  I'll post a full SXSW report within the next day or so, still recovering and catching up on work.
 Best show I saw without question was Alejandro Escovedo at the Continental Club on Sunday night, with his rock band plus a cellist from his string quartet.

ratioci nation

saco

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2005, 05:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by twangirl:
 Best show I saw without question was Alejandro Escovedo at the Continental Club on Sunday night, with his rock band plus a cellist from his string quartet. Raul Malo and Charlie Sexton were among the openers. Also Jon Langford and Sally Timms but I missed their set.
 I know it will end up being the best show I see this year.

You didnt mention New Model Army?!  
 Has Ed fired you yet?  

DeVotchka was this attendees new find.
   Calexico, the Blind Boys of Alabama and The Frames were other highlights.
   Alejandro's set at Town Lake wasnt as good as anticipated, if only because of I was hoping for different song selections, and I'm envious at your Continental Club attendance.  Its great he's back and seemingly as good as ever.

And thanks again for thinking of me when opportunity presented itself.  

[/b]

brennser

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2005, 05:55:00 pm »
oh how you taunt me twangirl!!

was it the cool hipster cellist or the geekier lookier 'Matt the Hoople' cellist who always gets really into the music?

did he play new material? any indication of when a new album might come out?

Best show I saw without question was Alejandro Escovedo at the Continental Club on Sunday night, with his rock band plus a cellist from his string quartet.  

twangirl

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2005, 06:42:00 pm »
it was Brian Standefer on cello, the cool hipster one who's been with Alejandro for a long time. No mention of when a new record will be out, but he seems very energized by his return to performing so I wouldn't be surprised if he puts something out later this year.