Author Topic: The Next Great American Band  (Read 4539 times)

The Next Great American Band
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:09:00 am »
So i figured you rockers would be all over this tv show. What else you gonna do on a Friday night?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: The Next Great American Band
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:15:00 am »
It's set to be DVRed, I expect to get through the two hour show in 45mins or less... Just curious to see what the lowest common denominator in bands is these days.
T.Rex

TheDirector217

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo:
  It's set to be DVRed, I expect to get through the two hour show in 45mins or less... Just curious to see what the lowest common denominator in bands is these days.
Now that's not fair.  Another truly great band may come of this.

Like Daughtry . . .

:eek:

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  So i figured you rockers would be all over this tv show. What else you gonna do on a Friday night?
Well, I'll be at a bachelor party tonight, but I am Tivoing it and looking forward to it!
27>34

killsaly

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 01:09:00 pm »
im going to curiously tivo it and check it tomorrow.  could be good, could be a dud.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 09:51:00 am »
i actually watched it start to finish... and actually have a couple bands i'd like to see win the stupid thing... right now johnny reznick is the weakest link not the brightest bulb that one...

was very concerned when they gave the one band the second chance  and not sure about a couple of the bands that made cut, particularly the Maroon 5 clones and Dot Dot Dot.  

big props to the bluegrass band that did the off cuff madonna cover...

Can't believe i'm going to watch this thing!
T.Rex

Cali

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »
it was actually decent. there are quite a few good groups on there. not sure about the ... group either, the frontman was doing a little too much. i like the kids, but they were trying too hard.

that group that they gave a second chance, why? that frontman was NOT good. no way he was carrying that band, not sure what that judge was thinking. i'm tired of people attempting to be simon with the rude remarks to the contestants.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »
at least i am still "indie" enough to say..."didnt watch it. didnt even realize it was on, dont plan on watching it, dont plan on opening this thread again"

;)

i know it shouldnt but it bothers me. and working at a music venue...i see the lowest common denominator of bands first hand, nightly!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »
I watched this...and I gotta say that after probably thousands of submissions it's a pretty weak 12 bands they've rounded up.  None that I'd really root for at this point.  Probably won't watch it again.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo:
 big props to the bluegrass band that did the off cuff madonna cover...
Seriously, that was the highlight of the whole damn thing for me. I'm waiting for it to hit YouTube!
Woof.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »
Will have to agree with Chaz that if this is the best the producers could come up with those thousands of submissions either there are many more marginal bands then expected or that the back story and potential mass appeal of the band were more important factors then actual talent.  Don't think we were shown much more than 50 percent of the 60 chosen as possible contenders.  Hard to believe so many did covers...

The bands I'd like to see stick around the longest are Detroit Rockers The Mugg and 60's Influenced Tres Bien.  Had the judges passed on Tres Bien the second band of the show, I'd would have turned it off there and then.   Of interest the guitarist for the Mugg also plays with The Paybacks.

The band to beat in terms of musical talent and versatility in the different challenges will be Sixwire the country rockers from Nashville.

The bluegrass band Cliff Wagner and the Old #7 will go far due to the strong personality and gumption of the leader.

Don't expect those kids, The Light of Doom, doing the 80's metal ala Iron Maiden to last very long due to their one noteness.

The Hatch will unfortunately become big contenders  being easy on the eyes and the watered down funk sound.

The dark horses  are The Clark Brothers, The Likes of You who weren't shown much in the debut, and Franklin Bridge whose rock tinged R&B I found intriguing

Expect the swing band Denver and the Mile High Orchestra to either get bounced early or linger in the middle for several weeks.

Lastly,  I can believe two bands with insipid covers made it in the final 12.  Looking like a band shouldn't be the criteria, so hopefully Dot Dot Dot and the all girl band Rocket are simple gimmick picks that wouldn't be around to stink up the place.

Tonight's show is the bands doing an original and Dylan cover.
T.Rex

georgewendt

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 07:05:00 pm »
The Next Great American Band:  Oranges Band.  Honest.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 10:35:00 pm »
I think the bluegrass band and Tres Bien are decent. After that, me no like. Though I guess maybe that's more indicative of my personal taste than anything else.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 11:31:00 pm »
Well I'm sticking with the Mugg as they were only band that move my soul... Agreed that the bluegrass were second fav, Tres Bien is showing their inexperience.  Thought The Clark Brothers had the most interesting original of the bunch.  Sixwire as expected delivered the goods,but didn't stir the sout. Their Dylan cover being faithful to the Byrds version.  Thought Dicko's comment regarding Franklin Bridge was spot on, woopty doo on a tricky arrangement.

The big band was every bad cliche rolled into.  The Hatch seem to think songwriting involves lots of oohing and aahing. The kiddie metal band sounded like a exactly that and must have just done a class in how to write a chorus. The Like Of You are bunch of nobodies who will linger before fading away.  Rocket and Dot Dot Dot just horrid.... But I fear after skimming a couple message board earlier we haven't seen the last of Dot Dot Dot. That and all the people that think that retched alternative rock band from last week were robbed.
T.Rex

Cali

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 03:03:00 pm »
i like the clark brothers the most, as far as original sound. i wouldnt mind hearing what they sound like with a drummer.

still like franklin bridge, but did not like that cover. sixwire did okay with their cover. i didnt like the majority of the covers though since i dont care much for dylan.

i'd like to see clark bros, sixwire, muggs, and franklin bridge stay around til the end.