Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2598223 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #3195 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:47 am »
I am sorry, julian . . . I was, being stupid.
Hey, don't worry about it, man.
LVMH

K8teebug

« Reply #3196 on: August 12, 2014, 12:16:51 pm »
I love Dead Poets Society.  That movie changed me.  Loved it and watched it all the time.

So so sad.

vansmack

« Reply #3197 on: August 12, 2014, 12:38:27 pm »
If I learned anything this past year, it's this:

"Williams actually died of a disease---a terrible, terrible disease. Depression consumed the man, and it killed him, too, even if it used his hands to do it. I can't help but think: if we as a society talked more frankly and openly and without shame about depression, if we took depression more seriously as a disease rather than as an issue of deficient willpower or character, maybe we wouldn't lose so many irreplaceable people---our heroes, our visionaries, our friends, our family---year after year." - Georgetown Professor, David Ebenbach
27>34

heather

« Reply #3198 on: August 12, 2014, 12:50:25 pm »

"Williams actually died of a disease---a terrible, terrible disease. Depression consumed the man, and it killed him, too, even if it used his hands to do it. I can't help but think: if we as a society talked more frankly and openly and without shame about depression, if we took depression more seriously as a disease rather than as an issue of deficient willpower or character, maybe we wouldn't lose so many irreplaceable people---our heroes, our visionaries, our friends, our family---year after year." - Georgetown Professor, David Ebenbach

i really do hope that we continue talking about mental illness and suicide.  i'm fortunate in that i sought help and have never had issues discussing my depression & anxiety with virtual strangers.  just in the last half a day, i've learned a lot about how i can try to help others dealing with similar issues.

eros

« Reply #3199 on: August 12, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
"There is no way Robin Williams could have seen himself the way everyone saw him. What terribly sad and frustrating news."

https://twitter.com/JimNorton/status/498971112198635520
ʎɐʍou

Stillwater

« Reply #3200 on: August 12, 2014, 01:08:27 pm »
He will get all kinds of love despite being an angry ugly person who had, at best, 4 good roles and around a thousand terrible ones. rip dude who made millions reading scripts

Part of my first job in the Air Force was to give tours of the Pentagon. Sometimes we would give them to visiting dignitaries, sports teams in town for the WH visit and celebrities.  I spent over an hour with Robin Williams just talking and walking around the building and he couldn't have been a kinder, more genuine person. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it my, admittedly anecdotal, experience he was a good dude.  

bearman🐻

« Reply #3201 on: August 12, 2014, 01:35:37 pm »
One of my favorite roles of his was in the Birdcage, which actually has gotten better over time. That movie is simultaneously hilarious and touching. The scene where he's on the bench with Albert talking about what cemetery he'll be stuck in is one of those moments where 2 actors make you forget you're watching a movie. What they talk about is real, and the scene feels genuine. You don't remember that you're watching Robin Williams and Nathan Lane, you begin to believe that Albert and Armand are real people. That's why it's more than reading off a script. And I suspect that's why people are so bummed. Most people think they have some kind of personal connection to actors or artists or musicians but when their art transcends script, sheet music, or canvas and hits a nerve, it's an innate feeling in all of us that somehow we "know" something about them because they made us feel like they know us. Whether it's John Lennon or Philip Seymour Hoffman or whoever, we can't help but feel crummy. I didn't know Tommy Ramone from a vagrant, but I was still sad when he died. He was part of a band that made my life brim with excitement and joy.

vansmack

« Reply #3202 on: August 12, 2014, 03:10:26 pm »
I spent over an hour with Robin Williams just talking and walking around the building and he couldn't have been a kinder, more genuine person.   

Norm MacDonald Tweeted a Robin Williams Remebrance
27>34

Yada

« Reply #3203 on: August 12, 2014, 03:16:39 pm »

Well said... and quite sad. Suicide is anything but painless.

wml7

« Reply #3204 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:16 pm »
Lauren Bacall

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3205 on: August 12, 2014, 09:57:02 pm »
she picked a horrible time to die.  every news story, every facebook post, every article, every sidewalk discussion, every breath of single importance . . . doesnt give, a collective shit, about her death. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:33:37 pm by walkonby »

« Reply #3206 on: August 13, 2014, 10:24:20 am »
she picked a horrible time to die.  every news story, every facebook post, every article, every sidewalk discussion, every breath of single importance . . . doesnt give, a collective shit, about her death. 
I care...one of my first crushes  :'(
slack

TheREALHunter

« Reply #3207 on: August 15, 2014, 03:04:35 pm »
R.I.P. Jay Adams

vansmack

« Reply #3208 on: August 15, 2014, 08:33:19 pm »
27>34

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?