Author Topic: Dropping Like Flies  (Read 2586314 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Dropping Like Flies
« Reply #9300 on: January 01, 2023, 03:24:01 pm »
Jeremiah Green of Modest Mouse

Jesus...  from playing here two weeks ago > cancer announced > death. Wow.

At least we still have Seth Green.

Maybe he shouldn't have gotten the jab.

I don't get this post.
I believe he’s parodying the trend of antivaxers on Twitter (and elsewhere) of attributing every death that happens to a side effect of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.

It sounds like someone other than me spends too much time reading garbage social media.

I have to admit, it's nore fun trolling MAGA rubes on Facebook than it ever was trolling anyone on this board. But I'm going to pledge to do less of than on 2023, and to lose 10 pounds.
Throw “add a comma to your net worth” and you’re well on your way to visa approval to visit The America.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #9301 on: January 01, 2023, 06:56:49 pm »
Gangsta boo

Space Freely

« Reply #9302 on: January 03, 2023, 12:19:51 pm »
Has anyone mentioned Fred White of Earth Wind and Fire?

shemptiness

« Reply #9303 on: January 03, 2023, 12:39:39 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9304 on: January 03, 2023, 12:50:45 pm »
Or Alan Rankine of The Associates

T.Rex

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #9305 on: January 03, 2023, 12:55:34 pm »
Or Alan Rankine of The Associates
I mean, he felt more like a friend, you know?
LVMH

« Reply #9306 on: January 04, 2023, 09:52:56 am »
 Alan Rankine

From the B&S page

Richard was a student of his back in 1995 -

“I first met Alan in 1995 when I was a student at Stow College. He was my lecturer on the music business course. The college had its own small record label called Electric Honey Records and because of my connection with the band, I was able to hand in an early demo of ‘Dog on Wheels’.  As soon as Alan heard the demo, he made up his mind that this was the song and band that was to represent Electric Honey records that year. Normally, the label would release a two or three song single but Alan had the foresight (and slightly bigger budget than the year before) to ask us if we could record a whole album instead. We did, and the result was Tigermilk, which was recorded in five days at CaVa studios in Glasgow.

I can’t emphasis enough the influence that had on Belle and Sebastian at the very beginning. He was so encouraging. Because of his knowledge and contacts, he managed to promote what we had done with Electric Honey records to the whole music industry and start a real buzz about the band. He also set up the first two gigs we ever did. Stones in Edinburgh was the first gig followed by a gig in Dunkirk. Both gigs were completely shambolic, as most of us in the band didn’t have a clue what we were doing at the time, but Alan remained patient and helped us along the way. If it wasn’t for Alan, our path would’ve been very different. We owe a lot to him.

Alan was a fantastic, generous, and talented person who will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him. He was an unbelievable musician and his musical legacy will live on forever.

Thoughts and condolences go out to his family, from myself and all of Belle and Sebastian.”
slack

« Reply #9307 on: January 04, 2023, 09:59:34 am »
Another great story about the early formation of B&S and Stuart insistence that it be vinyl not a cd

In Stuart David's 2015 book, he recalls Murdoch having to convince Rankine of making the CD single into a 7" into a 12". Due mainly to the actual logistics of being able to get an LP recorded in the timeframe of a single. However it happened, Rankine's role and influence was immense.

——————————

With a firm offer to record the Stow College single on the table, Stuart began to ask me searching questions. He remained committed to his San Francisco trip, but he asked if I thought the opportunities that were starting to appear for him in Glasgow would still be there waiting when he came back. He seemed convinced they would be. I told him I wasn't so sure.

'Sometimes you only get one shot,' I told him. 'It's easy just to miss your chance.'

Richard felt the same. He was certain that if you didn't grab your break when it appeared, it might never come again. He couldn't believe Stuart was going off to San Francisco rather than making the single for Stow.

So Stuart, still unconvinced but willing to look into things further, set up another meeting with the class and we went in to talk to them - wearing normal trousers this time.

It was a novelty for us to see Alan Rankine standing still, rather than rushing past in a blur in the Beatbox corridor. He wrote some stuff on the whiteboard to illustrate what the process would involve, and he wrote some dates up there too.

The budget would cover five days in Cava Studios. Three for recording, two for mixing. We'd record a single and a B-side in February, and then the class would act as a record label called Electric Honey and release a thousand copies of the single on CD and promote it. Alan explained that the main purpose of it was to give the students experience of everything that was involved in putting out a record, but that it would be a good thing for us too because we would get some publicity from it and it might generate a bit of a buzz for the band.

The first thing Stuart made clear was his opposition to releasing a CD.

"Singles have to be vinyl, he said. 'Seven inch.'
He explained that a seven-inch single was a magical thing, and that CDs were nothing at all.

Alan hesitated, but he eventually said we could probably do it on vinyl, if we really wanted to.

Stuart gave that some thought then shook his head.

'I don't know,' he said. 'How about if we made an album? I think it has to be an album.'

The pause before Alan replied this time was a lot longer, and he finally told us he didn't think it could be done. Not in five days.

'Five days are plenty,' Stuart replied, and he went up to the whiteboard and wiped a space amongst Alan's doodlings. Then he picked up the marker pen and started writing song titles on the board. 'The State I Am In', 'Expectations', 'She's Losing It; five in one list on the left-hand side of the board, and five in another list on the right-hand side. When he was finished he turned back to look at Alan as if that was all the proof that was needed.

I was getting used to Stuart's ability to get what he wanted where his songs were concerned, but this seemed like a bridge too far. Most of the class were excited by the idea, staring at the whiteboard with wide eyes and smiles on their faces - all except for Richard, who looked a bit seasick. But Alan wasn't convinced. He told Stuart it really wasn't enough time, that you couldn't record an album in three days. Stuart told him how quickly The Beatles had made their first few albums, and told him we'd record it all live, no overdubs. It went back and forward for a while, punctuated by visits from Start to the whiteboard to write something down. And then, quite suddenly, Alan changed his mind. He decided to give Stuart the chance to make the album. I'm not sure if even Alan believed what had just happened.

After the debate was over, and Stuart was talking to some of the students, Alan told me Stuart's attitude reminded him of Billy McKenzie, the singer in The Associates.

'Bill always knew what he wanted,' he said. 'Great artists usually do. You have to give them room to follow their vision.' And so Stuart cancelled his trip to San Francisco.

—Excerpted from "In the All-Night Cafe", Stuart David, p. 94-97
slack

Starsky

Yada

« Reply #9309 on: January 04, 2023, 10:32:04 am »
BK

https://dcist.com/story/23/01/03/dc-last-burger-king-80s-memorabilia-permanently-closed/

I always wondered why there were no BKs here... There used to be that one way back in the day in the Union Market area when it was still the hood.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9310 on: January 04, 2023, 11:08:29 am »
BK

https://dcist.com/story/23/01/03/dc-last-burger-king-80s-memorabilia-permanently-closed/

I always wondered why there were no BKs here... There used to be that one way back in the day in the Union Market area when it was still the hood.

I mean, there's one just up the road by Korean Korner and that thrift store...

Yada

« Reply #9311 on: January 04, 2023, 11:14:09 am »
BK

No clue where Korean Korner is... and I'm referring to DC the city, not the greater DMV.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #9312 on: January 04, 2023, 12:04:17 pm »
BK

No clue where Korean Korner is... and I'm referring to DC the city, not the greater DMV.

Fair enough. KK is at the intersection of Veirs Mill and Randolph.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9313 on: January 04, 2023, 12:37:21 pm »
BK

Fair enough. KK is at the intersection of Veirs Mill and Randolph.

<insert nostalgia about MD>
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>