Author Topic: reunite my bloody valentine  (Read 2368 times)

anarchist

reunite my bloody valentine
« on: May 09, 2006, 10:45:00 pm »
just checking

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: reunite my bloody valentine
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 10:56:00 pm »
Would be nice but it won't happen. A friend of mine who owns a small Shoegaze record label and is also a promoter is friendly with Kevin and has tried but it's just not going to happen. Wouldn't put any stock in Kevin anyway with his laid back procrastination. Just be happy that he periodically does a gig with the likes of Patti Smith and such.

In the meantime, you should get the new Fleeting Joys CD. Believe me, it's a fantastic compromise. Tell them Jaguar recommended them to you if you'd like.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by anarchist:
  just checking
Yeah I think you're the first person who had this idea.

Jaguar

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 11:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by thingsfallapart:

just checking
Yeah I think you're the first person who had this idea. [/b]
Hope that is sarcasm. If not, you are very wrong.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 11:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Jaguar:

Originally posted by thingsfallapart:

just checking
Yeah I think you're the first person who had this idea. [/b]
Hope that is sarcasm. If not, you are very wrong. [/b]
Haha I thought that was as blatantly sarcastic as I could get...

Jaguar

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:15:00 pm »
LOLOL. Okay. Sometimes it's hard to tell in print.   ;)

Chromie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 11:43:00 am »
You know there is an interesting shoegazer sort of movement happening in, of all places, Fredericksburg. Seems like New Order/Cocteau Twins/MBV all mixed together. I love a lot of it but I know it is probably acquired listening.

Check out all the friends of these bands and I think you can probably find most of the bands involved.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=25046658

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=722382

Also have you guys listened to earlier Curve? Nobody ever talks about them.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
I love Curve. Saw them at the 9:30 back in like 1999 I think, when I broke up a fist fight between 2 girls during "Die Like a Dog". I was covered in clumps of hair and blood.

Classic line from the girl who got punched and then bloodied the other girl's nose: "that was the first time I've ever been in a fist fight, but that's what she gets when she fucks with a girl from Philly!"

BookerT

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by Monad:
  You know there is an interesting shoegazer sort of movement happening in, of all places, Fredericksburg. Seems like New Order/Cocteau Twins/MBV all mixed together. I love a lot of it but I know it is probably acquired listening.

Check out all the friends of these bands and I think you can probably find most of the bands involved.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=25046658

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=722382

alcian blue's actually local. ceremony features former members of skywave, the loudest band in the history of the world. another former skywave band is a place to bury strangers, who played with alcian and ceremony a few months ago at the black cat. that was a very great and loud show.

Sage 703

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 12:28:00 pm »
the last time i saw alcian blue, they blew out the fuses at the galaxy hut, cutting all the power to the room mid-set, because they were putting so much power through their amplifiers and PA.

loud, and awesome.

Jaguar

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 08:29:00 pm »
Originally posted by Monad:

Fredericksburg. LOL. I love that place. I'm on a personal mission to have them known as 'the Capital of drone'. In fact, I've refered to Fredericksburg as that a couple times on my radio show when I've played one of their bands. Believe me, the serious Shoegazers around the planet all full well know of Fredericksburg and it's strong Shoegaze movement. I'm not kidding!

A friend of mine is putting on a show in London soon with some new band that contains one of the members of Curve (or am I thinking of someone else?). I'll have to go recheck that and get back with you.* (See -Edit-)

Guess this is as good of a time and place as any....

The Walls Of Sound Fest will be held in, yes, Fredericksburg again on Saturday September 23, 2006 at that place that has about 20 million different names to it. It's that big-ass place that I like so much on Princess Anne St. and extremely easy to get to from I95. (It's not The Bourbon Room, the other music venue.)

The line-up hasn't been announced yet but I have extremely good reason to believe that some of the those bands listed will be playing, along with a couple others I'm sure of but can't reveal since they aren't official as of yet.

Also, this too isn't 'official', but due to my suggestion, Dan and Heather from Clairecords and Tonevendor may very well come up and have a table of music to sell to we locals. They may also be at the Popnoise Fest (another Shoegaze festival another friend of mine puts on) in Philadelphia the previous Saturday. I mentioned the idea of coming to both to Dan and he loved it and they may come up and make a working vacation in the area out of the venture.  

Once I find out more, I'll post about them in this forum somewhere.

"Spotlight Kid

Spotlight Kid is the new project from former Six By Seven member Chris Davis, who, over the past four months, has collaborated with various people including long time friend and vocalist Katty Heath (Bent)."

Jaguar

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 08:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  alcian blue's actually local.  
Oh, not so fast...

Kim (keyboards) is originally from Fredericksburg.     :D    Wouldn't you know it?

Also, Jake often sat in and joined Skywave back in the day. Plus he joins Ceremony for quite a few songs when they happen to be in the same room.

FYI, other than some upcoming gig at The Bourbon Room (that may have already happened), Ceremony will be taking a break in order to record a new album. But, I wouldn't be too shocked if a few pop up periodically since they live in the area.

Oh, and Alcian Blue have just signed to Elaphant Stone Records. They've completed a full album, sent it up and it will be released in about a month or two. If my memory serves me correct, seems to me it's due out maybe July 11th.

smakawhat

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 09:25:00 pm »
Also have you guys listened to earlier Curve? Nobody ever talks about them. [/QB]
frikkin love Curve.

Chromie

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 06:23:00 pm »
Man I have a lot to check out.

Yeah sadly Curve is broken up but Dean Garcia is still making good stuff, just without Toni's vocals. They were my favorite band for like 5 years.

"at that place that has about 20 million different names to it. It's that big-ass place that I like so much on Princess Anne St. and extremely easy to get to from I95. (It's not The Bourbon Room, the other music venue.)" -Jaguar

I will never be able to find that place. I rarely get down there.

Jaguar

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 08:32:00 pm »
Don't worry, it's a piece of cake.

I live north of Baltimore and it only took me 2 hours to get there. Of course, that's assuming I95 is clear. Takes me that long just to get to Arlington from home! But that involves more traffic and congestion.

All you have to do is go south on I95 until you get to the Fredericksburg exit which takes you west. (It's about 45 mins to an hour south of DC.) Once you get off there, you go down the road for maybe a mile and make a left and maybe another turn and that's about it. (Can't remember exactly now.) It's only maybe 3 miles or so from the interstate. Super easy to find. Once we get closer to the date, I can provide you with any kind of info you need including the address of the venue and the correct directions since what I said might be off. The address is the easiest thing to use since it goes by so many different names.

There's plenty of parking, they serve very reasonably priced food, drinks are about half what you pay in DC plus you can even take a nap in one of the cubby chill out lounges with sofas. (We Shoegazers have an unnatural love of sleep!) The place has all kinds of rooms and even lots of pool tables. Everyone is usually pretty friendly and approacable too unlike some hipster crowds. So glad that it's on a Saturday this year!