Author Topic: Ryan Adams roll call! :)  (Read 7658 times)

Mobius

Re: Ryan Adams roll call! :)
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by le sonick:
  heres a funny story that happened last night

between sets, i was in line for a beverage, and this girl came from the side of the line and basically stood next to me, there were a few people behind me in line, but she paid no attention to them. she was later joined by her boyfriend and as we got closer she inched herself in front of me
   when we got near the front of the line, she looked over at me, surprised, as if she had JUST noticed me and  said

"oh, did i butt in front of you in line"

i said "you sure did"

she said  "you dont have to be a dick about it"

i really wanted to retaliate or somehow emasculate the little balding guy she was with, but ....  i dont know, she ordered white wine for the both of them, and he paid...so i figured he was having a bad enough night.
I thought you were from Baltimore???  You are an embarrassment to your hometown!

At QOTSA at Ram's Head, 2/3 through the show, two guys w/ drinks try to inch past a pretty good looking girl to my left and she protected her space by decking one of them.  He fell down, drinks flew. She yelled.  Security came.  She never moved.  I thought that's how Charm City handles its business.

At least you should have told her she could get behind you and then you are in the same position and she could deal with the person behind you.

shemptiness

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2007, 05:34:00 pm »
Some comments on the show here.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »
No one has mentioned yet, but someone in the audience actually yelled "COME ON WAKE US UP!" while he was trying to tune his guitar. Or maybe it was my imagination? haha. I was falling asleep during the first set, though I did like two or three songs. The 2nd set was much better, though it got a little too jammy. He could have played 3 or 4 short songs instead...
(_|_)

reggie

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2007, 09:24:00 pm »
yikes. i didnt know that his manager died yesterday.

eltee

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2007, 11:56:00 am »
Originally posted by Shemp:
  Some comments on the show here.
I don't agree with the blogger...This guy has played a zillion shows with people yelling at him. He's not the first artist to get pissed at shoutouts and mostly drunk ones. (I guess he doesn't have a setlist and he going to play YOUR song?   :roll:   ) And, I didn't think he was pissed, I thought he was trying to be funny. Pissed is him walking off stage or spitting on you. I suggest reading the Paste interview with him and the setlist article too.
 The more I digest the show, I realize, I was drifting, but I had different expectations. It doesn't mean that there wasn't some gorgeous music happening. I do think that in the first set his vocals/tone/range didn't quite fit a few of the songs in the "expanded" versions.

Yeah, sad about Frank Callari. However, he's not Ryan's current manager. (John Silva is..another good article: NYTimes  )

(I think the guy looking for "Kyle" should get a prize.)

sonickteam2

« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »
Originally posted by Greer Zoller:
  And, I didn't think he was pissed, I thought he was trying to be funny. Pissed is him walking off stage or spitting on you. I suggest reading the Paste interview with him and the setlist article too.

when he got on the megaphone and was telling people which ways to sit in their seats, for instance, he had that megaphone onstage for that purpose.  probably does it every night.

so i agree, it may annoy him, but he's found ways to either get back at the audiences or just brush it off.

besides, if you really want people to stop shouting stuff at your shows, stop having 30 seconds of silence in between every song.

Random Citizen

« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2007, 12:25:00 am »
He's had that megaphone for a while to deal with less than stellar audiences. He used it at the Seattle show back in July when people started shouting out various songs while the band was between songs/tuning etc.

I'm sorry, but if you can't STFU while the guys tune for the next song, then stay home and listen to the CDs. I can see if there were 5 minute gaps between songs, but come on.

The PDX show he & the Cardinals did was probably the best show of his I've seen to date. He was chatty, played an awesome setlist and the crowd showed respect for the musicians.

Unfortunately, since so many people have this sense of "Well, I paid $XX, so I deserve to hear [insert song as it sounds on the CD" entitlement, he'll have to get used to people yelling like assholes instead of respecting the band and the direction they want to go that particular evening.

/fangirl semi-rant

Anyhoo, check out Ryan's YouTube channel to see the movies he's made while the band is on the road. I'd rather see him tool around with a digital movie camera than use drugs, so I'm all for this.

shemptiness

« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »