Author Topic: Canal Club in Richmond  (Read 2259 times)

Canal Club in Richmond
« on: November 10, 2004, 04:35:00 pm »
Anybody ever been? How is it as a music venue? How does it compare with Alley Katz, or the DC clubs?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Canal Club in Richmond
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:37:00 pm »
Never been Rhett.  I used to live in richmond from like 89 to 94.  I like it there.  Who's playing?

Lamb007

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 04:43:00 pm »
Alley Katz is not a great comparison. The Canal Club is essentially a restaurant downstairs with a big open room for bands upstairs. I was there once about 2 years ago for a Superdrag show. The crowd was sparse but I would think even a sold out show there would be reasonably comfortable. Bar staff was very accessible and, as I recall, drinks were on the cheap side. Sound was decent but not stellar. If you're looking for a comparison, I would think it's more similar to the mainstage at Black Cat than anything.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 04:44:00 pm »
Drive By Truckers are playing 12/17 and 12/18, in addition to the Recher and NYC shows Grotty already mentioned.

I saw them at Alley Katz in Richmond, and wouldn't wish a venue like that place on anyone.

chaz

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 04:50:00 pm »
Never been to Alley Katz...most of the clubs from my Richmond days are long gone.  Rockitz/Metro, Jade Elephant yada yada yada.

For those of you that are inclined to do such things, Richmond is a great place to get drunk for say 5 or 6 years.

distance

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 04:52:00 pm »
i don't know about the canal club, but i can't see a venue being mmuch worse to watch a show at than alley katz.  i loathe that place.  i actually almost went to see interpol there about 2 years ago, but the venue combined with the fact taht a local band that i dn't like was opening, i decided to stay home.

chaz

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 04:54:00 pm »
Is Twisters on Grace Street still open?

distance

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by chaz:
  Is Twisters on Grace Street still open?
yes.  it was 929 cafe for a while, now it's currently called 'nanci raygun'
 http://www.nanciraygun.com

malkmess

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 06:22:00 pm »
yeah, i'm in richmond and the only time i've been to the canal club is when i saw superdrag two years ago. as i recall, it's not very big and it's a decent place to see a show. i always end up at alley katz though. sometimes nanci raygun.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 06:30:00 pm »
How does the sound of Canal Club compare to Alley Katz?

Originally posted by malkmess:
  yeah, i'm in richmond and the only time i've been to the canal club is when i saw superdrag two years ago. as i recall, it's not very big and it's a decent place to see a show. i always end up at alley katz though. sometimes nanci raygun.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 07:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  How does the sound of Canal Club compare to Alley Katz?

Marginally better. Horrible sight lines to the stage, though.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 08:55:00 pm »
Been a Richmond resident for longer than many here have been alive!  Anyway Ihave seen two shows recently at the Canal Club.  Its OK, nowhere near as nice a palce as the 930.  Holds a few hundred and has a sound system adequate for a club its size.  The upstairs is roughly laid out like the main floor of the 930 club.  You come in from relatively the same corner of the building.  As you come through the door, merch is to your left against the back wall, a bar is along the right wall, there are a few booths along the left wall, the stage is across the far wall.  If you want a fairly decent place to see the show without having the crowd beating into your back all night, you can go to the right side of the stage behind the speakers.  There is an area about 5 feet across that lets you stand right at the satge and get a pretty good view.  Drink prices aren't bad.  Its an easy place to get to.  The directions on the site are straight forward.  Be warned, if you park in the lot and dont put your $4 in the box you will get a $50 parking ticket!
FUKIT

distance

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 10:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by elj:
   Horrible sight lines to the stage, though.
that described alley katz pretty well as well.

chaz

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 12:32:00 am »
What about Marvin's, that bar across from where the Metro used to be...is that place still there?  I practically drank myself to an early grave in that place.