Author Topic: Fogerty Rollcall  (Read 2290 times)

palahniukkubrick

Fogerty Rollcall
« on: November 10, 2004, 05:46:00 pm »
a friend gave me a ticket. is he any good live?

Guiny

Re: Fogerty Rollcall
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 05:53:00 pm »
It should be a good show.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »
Dan Fogelberg is one of my all-time favorites.  I particularly enjoyed "The Leader of the Band".

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 05:56:00 pm »
He's tired, and his eyes are growing old.

Jaguär

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 08:07:00 pm »
Somebody on this forum just saw him at the Move On show and said that he was very good. Probably will be a good show. Would like to see him myself.

Also, Eddie or some other entity in the know did mention about a week or so ago that tickets were about to sell out.

Bags

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:41:00 pm »
November 16, 2004
 ROCK REVIEW | JOHN FOGERTY

That Distinctive Voice, Linking Then With Now
 By JON PARELES
 The New York Times

ohn Fogerty kept rolling up his shirtsleeves as his band played a sold-out concert on Sunday night at the Beacon Theater. He was just a working rocker who happened to have written dozens of songs that leap back into memory from the first twang of a riff.

The late 1960's and early 70's segue directly into the present in the title song of Mr. Fogerty's new album, "Déjà Vu All Over Again" (Geffen). It sees parallels between Iraq and Vietnam, mourning the deaths of soldiers in "a war that has no end." The music's déjà vu summons the folk-rock of "Who'll Stop the Rain" from 1970, when Mr. Fogerty led Creedence Clearwater Revival. As he played the song, a video screen showed images of Vietnam, Iraq and peace vigils then and now.

It was one more time warp in a career built on them. Amid the psychedelic sprawl of the late 1960's, Creedence Clearwater Revival harked back to the pithy guitar lines and untamed vocals of Memphis rockabilly and Louisiana swamp-pop.

Mr. Fogerty, who grew up in California, invented his own roots; he wasn't born on a bayou. Yet his high, clear tenor voice sounds like a throwback because it has the hysterical edge of the old rockabillies and their blues and country mentors. And like his elders, he knows how to rock his troubles away.

In a set that included nearly all of Creedence's singles as well as Mr. Fogerty's mid-1980's hits and songs from his new album, songs were nailed down by guitar lines that sharpened their 1950's models. Yet the simple hedonism of rockabilly and swamp-pop doesn't show up much in Mr. Fogerty's lyrics.

Through his career, he has written about restlessness and a mythic rural America; the road beckons, but the past is still vivid.

He also found a blues-haunted malaise in songs like "Bad Moon Rising," "Run Through the Jungle" and "Tombstone Shadow," and he identified with a hard-pressed working class in songs like "Wrote a Song for Everyone" and "Fortunate Son," which he delivered at the Beacon with barely contained fury. Songs from his new album showed more recent influences - the Ramones in "She's Got Baggage," Dire Straits in "Nobody's Here Anymore" - and he reached back to the Carter Family with a kindly song for his daughter, "I Will Walk With You."

His current band is larger than Creedence was, now including a keyboardist and two guitarists alongside Mr. Fogerty. They thickened the old songs without much clutter, and they helped Mr. Fogerty flaunt the variety of his lead guitar work, from country flatpicking to wailing psychedelic blues. But every guitar riff was still carved in steel and burnished with moonshine, and Mr. Fogerty's voice was still a visionary backwoods howl.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 10:56:00 pm »
heh... Chaz just caused me to get water up my nose  :D
_\|/_

Bags

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 11:35:00 pm »
washingtonpost.com

John Fogerty Hits One Over The Fence

By Sean Daly
 Washington Post Staff Writer
 Monday, November 15, 2004; Page C01

A sliver of glowing green moon loomed above the stage at John Fogerty's sold-out show at the 9:30 club Friday. But considering the strange, spellbinding vibe present during the 100-minute set, that cardboard moon might as well have been a full one.

The voodoo started early -- really early. Fogerty, the solo-happy guitar hero of Creedence Clearwater Revival, arguably the greatest American rock band of all time (think about it), took the stage at 7. That's not rock-and-roll -- that's rush hour.

No matter: A packed, peculiar house of senior citizens and college seniors, hip-swaying hippies and slam-dancing punks -- a truly eccentric mix and credit to Fogerty's longevity, politics and musicianship -- was in place to watch a short pre-show film about the rock icon's turbulent life, then welcome the Berkeley, Calif.-born musician and his four-piece band to the stage.

At 59, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, touring behind new album "Deja Vu All Over Again," looked good: a swept-back mane of auburn hair, a weathered but handsome mug, just a hint of love handles. But the dude sounded downright otherworldly. Really: His swamp-soaked siren of a singing voice hasn't aged at all. It's nothing short of supernatural. When Fogerty kicked things off with a raging "Travelin' Band," faces in the crowd turned to each other with dropped jaws and are-you-kidding-me? looks.

Of course, fans were jacked up for another reason as well. Fogerty was part of the Vote for Change concert in Washington last month, but before that, it had been seven long years since his last album and his last major tour. And before that, Fogerty famously spent long, unproductive stretches of his life embroiled in legal battles with record labels and CCR band mates (including his brother Tom). Even though Fogerty wrote most of CCR's biggest hits, after the band broke up in 1972 and he went solo, he was accused of ripping off his own sound. (When "The Old Man Down the Road," from his 1985 solo album, "Centerfield," was accused of being too similar to CCR's "Run Through the Jungle," he took his guitar to court and gave a witness-stand tutorial on the songmaking process. He won.)

But Fogerty, his vintage howl a vigorous instrument, certainly wasn't a beaten-down man at the 9:30. He was just happy to be back. "Let's have some fun!" he wailed, before energetically unloading song after well-crafted song, hit after blissful CCR hit: "Green River," the Vietnam-era antiwar weeper "Who'll Stop the Rain," "Run Through the Jungle," "Born on the Bayou." (For those still debating CCR's place as the greatest American rock band, consider this: The band was together for only six years!) He teased each number: "Many years ago, I was stuck in a little town in Northern California, so I took some notes," he said before launching classic singalong "Lodi." For solo hit "Centerfield" -- as familiar at Camden Yards as "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" -- he busted out a prop worthy of Carrot Top: a baseball bat guitar. But Fogerty, grimacing with every tricky ax lick, made that juiced Louisville Slugger sing.

The show's mood was upbeat and rollicking (at $55 a ticket for a club show, it darn well should have been), although Fogerty did slow things down for his new number "Deja Vu (All Over Again)."

"I sing this song for families," the steadfastly liberal Fogerty said as the movie screen dropped down to show footage from Vietnam and the war in Iraq. No outright Bush-bashing -- that's never been Fogerty's style -- just a prayer for "the old ghosts rising" and "the dead and dying."

Adding to the night's strange vibe, at the song's end, two fans -- a tall man hooting, a short woman crying -- almost came to blows when the woman thought the hooting was disrespectful. Unfortunately, the high-pitched hooting -- if not disrespectful, then really annoying -- continued, taking away some of the fun from a flurry of show-closing hits: "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" (yes, he nailed the solo), the heartbreaking "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" and depending on your politics, the still very relevant or still very nasty "Fortunate Son" ("I ain't no president's son!").

For the two-song encore, Fogerty led the crowd in a collective count-off -- "One, two, onetwothreefour!" -- then hammered out "Bad Moon Rising" ("I see trouble on the way," he twanged with a shake of his head) and the rollin'-on-a-river party of "Proud Mary." Just in case Fogerty had another encore in him -- he didn't -- the crowd didn't budge after he trotted off the stage. After all, on a night like this, anything could happen. Plus, it was only 8:40.

Guiny

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 11:52:00 pm »
Damn, Now I really regret not going to this one.   :(

TheNomad

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 12:55:00 pm »
Show rocked!  Thanks for booking it Seth.  Amazing.

Didn't see the tall hollerin guy but did see a domestic distrubance next to the downstairs bar where the woman started punching her man in the face repeatedly.  Then she cried.  Then she got thrown out.  Weird.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 01:01:00 pm »
Sounds like a great show.  Always liked CCR.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 09:46:00 am »
I thought it was so great that the next day I was starting to wonder if I was just drunk

then I realized that it was great and I was drunk

Guiny

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Seth Hurwitz:
 then I realized that it was great and I was drunk [/QB]
Can't ask for anything more than that.

Hopefully he'll come back, but I doubt at 59 he's got many touring days left. I could be wrong though.

eltee

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 11:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

then I realized that it was great and I was drunk [/b]
Hopefully he'll come back, [/QB]
Bring him back Seth!

TheNomad

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 11:23:00 am »
  I thought it was so great that the next day I was starting to wonder if I was just drunk

then I realized that it was great and I was drunk
Amen.

Seth, do you need a protege?  How about a lawyer?