Author Topic: Stephen Thomas Erlewine ZEITGEIST review  (Read 5900 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Stephen Thomas Erlewine ZEITGEIST review
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »
this is a classic Erlewine review:  total context, barely talks about the actual music, completely rips the album a new asshole, and is totally right on.

good stuff.

-------------------------------------

(paragraphs added for reading ease)
  http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:jcfoxzu5ldde~T1

Way back before the Smashing Pumpkins were superstars, right around the release of Siamese Dream, it was already an open secret that they were not a democracy; they were a dictatorship, ruled under the iron fist of singer/songwriter/guitarist/conceptualist Billy Corgan. He came up with their sound, equal parts metal and dream pop, he wrote the songs, and, according to most reports, he recorded almost all the guitars and bass on their albums, masterminding their sound down to the littlest details.

Anybody that meticulous was also sharp enough to know the value of image too, so Corgan knew it was better to present the Smashing Pumpkins as a full-fledged band, not a solo project, and he came up with a diverse lineup ideally matched for the alt-rock '90s: he was the skinny misfit leader, surrounded by female bassist D'Arcy, Japanese-American guitarist James Iha, and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin, who came across like an old metalhead on the prowl for freaky chicks.

They didn't look like a band; they looked like the idea of a band, which was appealing in its own right, but for as photogenic as they were, the reason the Pumpkins turned into stadium-conquering monsters was Corgan's outsized music, which was nothing if not deliberately, self-consciously dramatic.

His commitment to grand gestures was cemented when he disbanded the Smashing Pumpkins at the turn of the millennium, about a year after former Hole bassist Melissa auf der Maur replaced D'Arcy and just as Iha was beginning to bolt. The group was beginning to fracture, but the retirement of the band's name seemed like confirmation that the Pumpkins were a concrete idea for Corgan, that they were a band that served a particular moment in time, and once that moment in time had passed, so had the band.  The very fact that he pretty much was the Pumpkins lent this move integrity, since it was clear that Billy could keep the ball rolling, ushering new musicians in and out under the same moniker with nobody but the hardcore being any wiser, but instead of taking that easy road, he decided to make a clean break and pursue other projects.

As it turns out, the Smashing Pumpkins era did mark a phase in Corgan's career: the time that people paid attention to him. Without that name, Corgan started playing to an ever-more selective audience, first as the leader in the deceptively sunny Zwan and then on an icy, alienating 2005 solo album, The Future Embrace, where Corgan channeled his inner Martin Gore.

Neither was a radical musical departure from the Pumpkins -- even The Future Embrace had its roots in Adore -- but that didn't matter, since taken together they had the cumulative effect of marginalizing Corgan, and if there was ever a place Billy didn't want to be it was on the margin. From the very beginning, he wanted to lead the biggest, most important band in the land, eventually getting his wish as he used the indie rock underground as a catapult to mainstream stardom, but once his star began to wane he panicked and played the one card he had left in his deck: getting the band back together.

On the day The Future Embrace was released, he took out a full-page ad in his hometown paper the Chicago Tribune announcing that the Smashing Pumpkins were reuniting. The only hitch was, he didn't tell any of the other members of the impending reunion, but as it turns out, only Chamberlin -- who was already drumming with Corgan -- was interested in signing up, leaving the Smashing Pumpkins as a band in name only, a Billy Corgan project at its core.

This was precisely the very thing he seemed to avoid when he retired the band at the turn of the millennium, and returning to his marquee name gave this reunion a sense of desperation, as if he had nowhere else to go, and the ensuing 2007 album Zeitgeist does nothing to erase the suspicion that Corgan is anxious to regain his status as rock & roll god.

To this end, he makes Zeitgeist the hardest, heaviest Pumpkins album ever, layering the record with endless guitar overdubs that wind up feeling like overcompensation, not just for the synth-driven Future Embrace but as a blustering retort to any skeptic who questions the validity of this reunion.

Of course, bombast has always been par for the course for Corgan and the Pumpkins, but at their peak they truly did achieve sense of majesty, either in their dreamy, softer psychedelic side or their towering torrents of metallic guitar. Here Corgan has blunted his attack, removing any sense of beauty either in the ballads (which invariably are icy, stilted synth sculptures, not the quivering, gentle pop of "1979" or the strings and acoustic guitars of "Disarm") or the rockers, which was a key to the Pumpkins' appeal.

What made "Cherub Rock" or "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" work is how the sighing melody acted as a counterpoint to the ferocious guitars, but on Zeitgeist he repeatedly buries his threadbare melodies beneath squeals of guitar that are too processed to either soar or sear.

More than anything, it's this digitally dulled sound that saps Zeitgeist from any impact it may have, but it's also true that there's import to the title: for the first time, Corgan is trying to address the wrongs of society, which is a big change for a writer who has spent his career turning the intimate into the operatic, and it doesn't quite work.

It's a long way from complaining that the world is a vampire to detailing how it sucks your blood away, and this blatant attempt at capturing the mood of the era -- evident in the very titles of "Doomsday Clock," "United States," and "For God and Country" -- backfires, only emphasizing the desperateness behind Corgan's music here.

At his peak, he never seemed to strive for relevance -- sure, he strived to make art, but his music never seemed weighed down with being part of the, well, zeitgeist; it just came naturally to him. As the title of this purported reunion makes all too plain, Corgan is now all too consumed with being relevant, with being part of the discussion, with being part of the zeitgeist, and never has he has seemed less relevant or interesting than he does here.
(o|o)

Sage 703

Re: Stephen Thomas Erlewine ZEITGEIST review
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »
again, whether or not you're going to like this album comes down to whether or not you're a fan of Billy Corgan.  If you are, you're going to like the record.  If you're not, you probably won't.

K8teebug

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:02:00 am »
I loved the first two Smashing Pumpkins records.  Loved them.  After that though, all of it got old, in my opinion.  (with a few gems here and there)

Truthfully, I could give a crap about them "reuniting", and the songs I've heard so far off the new album are terrible.

Also, the reviewer forgot to mention Billy Corgan's shamefull attempt at poetry a few years back.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:55:00 am »
I think Billy Corgan must have the smallest penis ever.

Brian

vvill

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:17:00 am »
The pitchfork review is also pretty accurate.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 09:27:00 am »
I read the Erlewine review (he's usually spot-on) but i'm still excited about picking up the record today. I really like 'Tarantula' and i'm sure the record will be enjoyable.
 Pitchfork writers are so fucking bad I make it a point to avoid their reviews..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 09:37:00 am »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  this is a classic Erlewine review:  total context, barely talks about the actual music, completely rips the album a new asshole, and is totally right on.
in which case it's not an album review, it's a band history overview, or catalogue appreciation, or something else.  i want to hear about the album, not about the mindset of those peripherally associated with the scene to which the artists belong.  maybe i'm asking too much.

Originally posted by callat703:
  again, whether or not you're going to like this album comes down to whether or not you're a fan of Billy Corgan.  If you are, you're going to like the record.  If you're not, you probably won't.
really?  this is my biggest complaint about the review - can't an album stand on its own?  i can admit that sometime douchebag and/or talentless artists can occasionally produce something good, and my artistic heroes occasionally lay turds.  i don't get how you can completely write something off because of what someone has done in the past.

i've listened to Z twice now, i think it's a solid album - 8/10.  being a occasional guitarist, i like what billy has done on the 6's.  and i have a soft spot for anyone who can play that many instrument that (relatively) well.  oh, wait, i forgot to incorporate the band's political leanings    :roll:
<sig>

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 09:43:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  this is my biggest complaint about the review - can't an album stand on its own?  
i take it you don't read allmusic.com very often?  as i said in the OP, erlewine's reviews are always 90% context ... especially when the band itself is about 90% hype (do you really think ole bill wants this album to "stand on its own"?)
(o|o)

bnyced0

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:

Originally posted by sweetcell:
  this is my biggest complaint about the review - can't an album stand on its own?  
i take it you don't read allmusic.com very often?  as i said in the OP, erlewine's reviews are always 90% context ... especially when the band itself is about 90% hype (do you really think ole bill wants this album to "stand on its own"?) [/b]
I'd rather hear what YOU have to say about the album, Erlewine be damned, I live for YOUR comments...only reason I come on the board.

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 11:19:00 am »
am i the only one that loved the zwan album?

ggw

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 11:20:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:
Yes.

bnyced0

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by walkonby:
Love? Yes probably, but many were entertained.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
Na man. That ZWAN record was GREAT! Happy Music!!

walkonby

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 11:25:00 am »
maybe i liked it so much because it was sort of like the only gay album in the village.

Sage 703

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 12:06:00 pm »
David Fricke reviews Zeitgeist:

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/15237933/review/15523986/zeitgeist

Four Stars:

Zero: That is the exact number of doubts singer-guitarist-songwriter Billy Corgan has about this controversial resurrection of his old band. "I never felt so right and good. . . . You'll never need another sound," he crows in that bleating voice against the titanic fuzz of "Bring the Light." It is classic Corgan bravado, but the cumulative effect of his distortion-orchestra guitar and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin's pinpoint thunder is impressive and convincing, a return to the big pop-wise din of 1993's Siamese Dream. Original members James Iha and D'Arcy Wretzky are not part of this reunion, but they were hardly on Siamese Dream â?? Corgan played their guitar and bass parts.

By that standard, Zeitgeist, performed entirely by Corgan and Chamberlin, is a Pumpkins record â?? and a good one. Lyrically, Zeitgeist is the least self-absorbed record Corgan has ever written, although not quite the electric newspaper some song titles suggest. There is more fear of frying than actual fight and social remedy in "Doomsday Clock" and "For God and Country," the latter sounding more like Corgan's pledge of allegiance to the Cure. The closest thing to victory over Dick Cheney is the promise in "Starz" â?? "We cannot die. . . . We are stars/We are" â?? which rocks better than it reads, with Robert Fripp-like snakes of guitar and a closing frenzy of staccato power chords and Chamberlin pummeling his cymbals into splinters.

The best thing about Zeitgeist is that Corgan is back to what he does best: hard-rock architecture. His wall-of-guitars overdubs are exhilarating in their details: the harmonized squeals in "7 Shades of Black"; the creeping buzz of "Tarantula"; the long, howling solo, sinking in echo, in "United States." The Pumpkins were never more exciting in the Nineties than when Corgan unleashed his inner Tony Iommi all over his inner Robert Smith. That is what happens on Zeitgeist, which makes it a strong new start for Corgan and Chamberlin, no matter what they call themselves.