Author Topic: Who the fuck are the Dan Band and the Fray, and how the  (Read 7103 times)

Who the fuck are the Dan Band and the Fray, and how the
« on: February 13, 2006, 11:09:00 am »
Please pardon my swear words. But can anyone answer my questions?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Who the fuck are the Dan Band and the Fray, and how the
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 11:12:00 am »
The Dan Band are a stupid fratboy band that Elliott in the Morning hypes all the time (that should tell you all they need to know). They were in some retarded overly-sexualized movie; Wedding Crashers maybe, I forget.

The Fray I've heard once. They have some song on "new rock" stations. It's entirely throwaway as you can imagine. I was unaware they had risen to this level of popularity since I didn't think their single was even much of a hit.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 11:12:00 am »
Their mothers bought all of the tickets.

ggw

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:14:00 am »
I saw the Fray advertised on TV.  They looked like Five for Fighting or any other twat-rock band that uses a grand piano.

amnesiac

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:25:00 am »
http://www.myspace.com/thedanband

They were in the movie Old School and probably Wedding Crashers. I think they just add curse words to songs like "Total Eclipse of the Heart"...

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:29:00 am »
From the sleepy sprawl of America's Mile-High City comes The Fray, a Denver-based foursome whose melodic pop-rock songs and soaring vocals resonate with sprawling tapestries and tales of hopefulness and heartache.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 11:33:00 am »
Originally posted by amnesiac:

They were in the movie Old School and probably Wedding Crashers. I think they just add curse words to songs like "Total Eclipse of the Heart"...
The Dan Band were funny in Old School.  They went on to headline some Vegas Venues, and had a special on A&E that ran a few times.  So, they are fairly "well known" to the world at large.

The Fray opened for Weezer on some dates.  I got there too late to see them, but were reportedly pretty good.

The "who the fuck are they" thread/label could apply to many of the sell out shows that occur at the 930 club.  I remember asking someone who worked at the club a few years ago: who are Maroon 5, and how did they sell out the club so fast.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 11:37:00 am »
Thanks for the responses. How long do you wonder it will be before Badsushi comes on and defends these bands and her purchase of tickets to their shows?

Just kidding, Ms. Suki.   ;)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 11:47:00 am »

and starsky and hutch (a way over-sexed "feel like making love" at a bat mitzvah) ... and i actually think it's a pretty amusing schtick for 3 minutes in a movie ... i could see how it could get pretty boring on an album or, god-forbid, an entire concert
(o|o)

amnesiac

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 11:51:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  i actually think it's a pretty amusing schtick for 3 minutes in a movie ... i could see how it could get pretty boring on an album or, god-forbid, an entire concert
My thoughts exactly. It was funny in Old School, but no way would I want to see em in concert. This show is gonna be like a giant frat party...

Bags

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 12:01:00 pm »

That's a real band?!?!  Yes, they were funny in those movies, but come on, an entire show of that (or is that just a movie schtick they put on?  I can't listen to myspace right now as I'm listening to that B.C. Camplight hoya's digging on).

-edit-
 Sorry, didn't mean to repeat the sentiment already expressed -- I tend to reply before I read through the whole thread.  Still seems an odd show to see...

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 12:06:00 pm »
The Dan Band are very entertaining - hysterical actually.  The premise is simple: take really bad chick anthems and put a male spin on them, comedy style.

I saw them twice in Hollywood, and really enjoyed them both times.  Lots of women come out to see them as well - super nice LA Eye Candy - and that's never a bad thing.

They had a TV special on Bravo that I was pimping on this board over the summer, but it appears that few of you took me up on it.
27>34

eltee

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
Also, The Fray sold out b/c they are w/ Cary Brothers and Damnwells.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 12:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I saw the Fray advertised on TV.  They looked like Five for Fighting or any other twat-rock band that uses a grand piano.
this is a really well-written review, from allmusic:

------------------------------

The Fray are among the first of what appears to be an incipient flood of bands to combine the influence of British neo-stadium acts like Coldplay and Keane, the retro-AOR bands of the mid-'90s -- chief among them Counting Crows and the Wallflowers -- and American emo-pop bands like Something Corporate and Jimmy Eat World.

The Denver four-piece has the requisite piano and flag-waving choruses of the Brits, the slick sound and unfailing conservatism of the AOR bands, and the over-emoted vocals and confessional nature of the emo's.

What they don't have is much originality. All the songs on their debut, How to Save a Life, sound almost exactly alike and also exactly like you would expect -- sincere, melodic, authentic, and bereft of anything surprising or exciting. This doesn't make for the kind of record that people will want to listen to over and over again but for modern rock, it isn't half-bad.

The band tries hard and they never really do anything offensive. A couple of songs, like "Over My Head (Cable Car") or "Dead Wrong," might even sound good in the background of a WB drama. You just can't picture them giving anyone chills, or kids text-messaging their friends to tell them about this great new band they just heard. That kind of reaction comes from inspiration and excitement, two vital factors that How to Save a Life and the Fray themselves are sorely lacking.
(o|o)

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 12:20:00 pm »
The Dan Band are the 40 Year Old Virgins of the music world & The Fray are the Wedding Crashers.