Author Topic: neutral milk hotel  (Read 5158 times)

clyde725

  • Member
  • Posts: 54
neutral milk hotel
« on: February 16, 2006, 04:43:00 pm »
good article about aeroplane over the sea
 
 http://audiogalaxy.com/articles?&a=116

amnesiac

  • Member
  • Posts: 1203
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 11:07:00 am »
Great article, amazing album. The author's band, Okkervil River, are one of my favorites - highly influenced by NMH.

ratioci nation

  • Member
  • Posts: 4463
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:11:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by amnesiac:
  highly influenced by NMH.
I dont think that comes through that much in their music.

amnesiac

  • Member
  • Posts: 1203
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 11:20:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
   
Quote
Originally posted by amnesiac:
  highly influenced by NMH.
I dont think that comes through that much in their music. [/b]
Really? I feel like their lyrical styles and instrumentation are pretty similar. But Will Sheff's singing reminds me more of Conor Oberst (though less "emo") than Jeff Mangum, so I tend to think Bright Eyes meets NHM when listening to Okkervil.

ratioci nation

  • Member
  • Posts: 4463
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:25:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by amnesiac:
  so I tend to think Bright Eyes meets NHM when listening to Okkervil.
more power to you, i will now try and wipe that from my memory so I dont hear that when listening  ;)
 
 saw Will Sheff solo on Tuesday night, very good show, West Falls was fantastic

amnesiac

  • Member
  • Posts: 1203
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:36:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
   
Quote
Originally posted by amnesiac:
  so I tend to think Bright Eyes meets NHM when listening to Okkervil.
more power to you, i will now try and wipe that from my memory so I dont hear that when listening   ;)  
 
 saw Will Sheff solo on Tuesday night, very good show, West Falls was fantastic [/b]
Haha, sorry...I'll admit I'm a Bright Eyes fan. I'd put Lifted up there as one of my favorite albums.
 
 Very disappointed he's not playing solo around here. The last Okkervil River show at Iota was outstanding.

BookerT

  • Member
  • Posts: 1410
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:36:00 am »
anyone have the last NMH show (basically just mangum solo), from new zealand in 2001 for some flying nun tribute show or something? he talks about his nervous breakdown, it's pretty amusing, but the performance is really fantastic, especially considering how completely isolated an event it was. there's a really intense cover of john lennon's "mother" w/chris knox to end the show.
 
 neutralmilkhotel.org is a great site, it's updated pretty regularly with different live sets.

ratioci nation

  • Member
  • Posts: 4463
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 11:44:00 am »
Quote
Originally posted by amnesiac:
  Haha, sorry...I'll admit I'm a Bright Eyes fan. I'd put Lifted up there as one of my favorite albums.
I was at one point, I still think Lover I dont have to love is a very good song and I still consider his first 9:30 show one of the better shows I have seen, but the other 2 shows I have seen of his have been awful and I just cant take the music anymore, made a nice chunk of change selling his albums on ebay as a package

amnesiac

  • Member
  • Posts: 1203
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:05:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  made a nice chunk of change selling his albums on ebay as a package
Nice...taking the emo kid's allowance   ;)  
 
 Yeah, that first 930 show was really good. I also liked the Wide Awake show, but not so much the Digital Ash.
 
 But back to NMH - I only have  Aeroplane. Any thoughts on  On Avery Island?

Sir HC

  • Member
  • Posts: 4059
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »
Quote
Originally posted by amnesiac:
   
Quote
Originally posted by pdx pollard:
  made a nice chunk of change selling his albums on ebay as a package
Nice...taking the emo kid's allowance    ;)  
 
 Yeah, that first 930 show was really good. I also liked the Wide Awake show, but not so much the Digital Ash.
 
 But back to NMH - I only have  Aeroplane. Any thoughts on  On Avery Island? [/b]
Some good stuff on On Avery Island but nowhere near Aeroplane.

BookerT

  • Member
  • Posts: 1410
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 12:09:00 pm »
you need to get "on avery" if only for "song against sex," "gardenhead" and "naomi" which are all essential NMH songs.

amnesiac

  • Member
  • Posts: 1203
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
Thanks, it's been added to my list.

grateful

  • Member
  • Posts: 10027
  • 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 02:27:17 pm »
was thinking about them as I watched the Stephen Colbert episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and SC quotes a line from one of their songs
slack

Julian, White Poet WARLORD

  • Member
  • Posts: 28676
  • 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: neutral milk hotel
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2021, 02:29:02 pm »
LVMH