Author Topic: Congrats Vansmack!  (Read 7213 times)

markie

Re: Congrats Vansmack!
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 05:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Which reminds me,  I saw Deepak Chopra this weekend speak with Dean Ornisch.  Not that impressed but the hippies here in No Cal love him. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I looked down upon the unfaithful.

sonickteam2

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 05:49:00 pm »

Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  sorry smackie.  vlad is a great player, but i think had Ramirez and Ortiz not been on the same team one of them would've had it.
Right.  If they didn't play together all you could do is reduce the number of times one scored and the number of RBI's the other had, but it's not like they split the first place votes so Vlad got it.  Look at the math:

AL MVP Award Voting
 Player, team  1st  2nd  3rd  Total  
 Guerrero, Ana.  21  5  1  354  
 Sheffield, N.Y.  5  8  9  254  
 Ramirez, Bos.  1  14  9  238  
 Ortiz, Bos.  1  --  5  174  
 Tejada, Bal.  --  1  --  123  

One for Manny, one for Ortiz, five for Sheff, and TWENTY ONE for Vlad.  This wasn't even close.  How do you figure? [/b]
the votes arent really the math.  people voted for them.  

so if you take Manny's numbers and David's numbers and Vlad's numbers, whose are more valuable compared to the rest of the team.

i mean, Vlad is MORE valuable to Los Angeles than either Ortiz or Ramirez is to Boston, but I would take Ramirez over Guerrero on most days.

i think Ortiz not just took votes from Manny and vice versa, but they kinda cancelled each other out completely.

but i dont care too much, cause we won the goddamn world series.

i am just sayin.

markie

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 05:55:00 pm »
    but i dont care too much, cause we won the goddamn world series.

i am just sayin.
America takes it again, that is amazing! Is this like, the millionth time the world series is won by an American team? You tall Americans, you!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 06:05:00 pm »

i mean, Vlad is MORE valuable to Los Angeles than either Ortiz or Ramirez is to Boston
you said it yourself!!!  

oh, and the team is in anaheim, not l.a.
OU812

ratioci nation

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 06:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:
  America takes it again, that is amazing! Is this like, the millionth time the world series is won by an American team? You tall Americans, you!
yeah but most of the players up for awards are not American, so I guess it is a World Series

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 06:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

i mean, Vlad is MORE valuable to Los Angeles than either Ortiz or Ramirez is to Boston
you said it yourself!!!  

oh, and the team is in anaheim, not l.a. [/b]
i thought they were the LA Angels?  sorry  ;)

i see that perhaps he was more "valuable" but really, is that what this award is?

because how "valuable" was A-rod  to Texas last year, when they totally sucked.  and then after he left, they were much better?

i think the MVP award is just like "the best player"

well, at least Sheffield didnt win.  Guerrero will be playing for us soon enough.

Fico

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 06:24:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:

Originally posted by Deepak Chopra:
yeah but most of the players up for awards are not American, so I guess it is a World Series [/b]
I can't wait till they have a proper World Series with players playing for their countries...of the top off my head the Dominican Republic would have in its roster:

- Albert Pujols
 - Vlad Guerrero
 - Manny Ramirez
 - David Ortiz
 - Miguel Tejada
 - Moises Alou
 - Sammy Sosa
 - Alfonso Soriano
 - Pedro Martinez
 - Bartolo Colon
 - Alex Rodriguez (born in Miami to Dominican parents so prolly not eligible)

the list goes on... Felipe Alou would be the skipper with Tony Peña as bench coach =)

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 07:19:00 pm »
   Guerrero will be playing for us soon enough.
Did you import a hefty number of hispanics his mom can cook big Dominican meals for, because the last time I checked, other than a handful of baseball players Boston was a fairly white city?

Vlad loves Anaheim, and more importantly, Vlad's mom loves Anaheim.

She would never let her son play for the New England Red Sox.
27>34

keithstg

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 09:17:00 am »

Guerrero will be playing for us soon enough.
Did you import a hefty number of hispanics his mom can cook big Dominican meals for, because the last time I checked, other than a handful of baseball players Boston was a fairly white city?

Vlad loves Anaheim, and more importantly, Vlad's mom loves Anaheim.

She would never let her son play for the New England Red Sox. [/b]
Vlad isn't going anywhere, but looks like Pedro might be...although as a Yankees fan I think this is a terrible idea.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1924287

Guiny

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 09:25:00 am »
Originally posted by keithstg:
 Vlad isn't going anywhere, but looks like Pedro might be...although as a Yankees fan I think this is a terrible idea.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1924287 [/QB]
I hate this idea, he is a jackass and should not be signed for more than two years by any team. Let him stay with the rest of those clowns. He disrespects The Babe and headhunts our best players. Well if he does sign, Sheffield won't have to walk far to break him in half.   :cool:  

Sonick's gotta like the idea that the Sox are talking with Carl Pavano.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2004, 10:11:00 am »
I would like to remind everyone that it was I who said theat we'd see Pedro in a Yankees uniform.

keithstg

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I would like to remind everyone that it was I who said theat we'd see Pedro in a Yankees uniform.
Oh, I remember, but I still don't think it will happen. After seeing Pedro pitch (albeit briefly) at Game 7 of the ALCS this year, I question why the Yankees would want to spend that kind of money on a pitcher who was clearly gassed. Hopefully George will listen to Cashman and Co. on that one.

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 10:33:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
wasnt EVERYONE saying that Rhett?

like all of last season.....

sonickteam2

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 10:34:00 am »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:

Originally posted by keithstg:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1924287  [/b]
I hate this idea, he is a jackass and should not be signed for more than two years by any team. Let him stay with the rest of those clowns. He disrespects The Babe and headhunts our best players. Well if he does sign, Sheffield won't have to walk far to break him in half.    :cool:  

Sonick's gotta like the idea that the Sox are talking with Carl Pavano. [/QB]
like him or not, he was 16-9 last year.

and i LOVE that we're talking to Pavano.

if we sign Pavano and keep Martinez (thier plan, i think)....we are going to fuck some serious shit up next year.

ratioci nation

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2004, 10:35:00 am »
WASHINGTON -- The Expos made their first big splash since announcing their move to Washington, agreeing Tuesday to a $6.2 million, two-year contract with third baseman Vinny Castilla and a $16.8 million, four-year deal with shortstop Cristian Guzman.
Are they going to call RFK Coors stadium?  Why would anybody other than colorado want Vinny Castilla?