Author Topic: Helmet? ...Anyone? (And tickets.com can go to hell)  (Read 2106 times)

paul3mac

Helmet? ...Anyone? (And tickets.com can go to hell)
« on: November 16, 2004, 04:23:00 pm »
Anyone going to be at the Helmet show tonight?  I have a feeling it's going to be a pretty sparse crowd.

On a side note (and I'm sure this has been talked about before), but really, is there any other option besides tickets.com?  A $15 turned into a $23 ticket via a $4.50 service charge and a freakin $3.50 Will Call delivery charge.  What is that about?  I feel violated.    :eek:

bellenseb

Re: Helmet? ...Anyone? (And tickets.com can go to hell)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 04:25:00 pm »
As you said, a sellout is a near-impossibility...in these cases just buy your ticket night-of for no added charge.

bearman🐻

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 05:35:00 pm »
I think I might go. Just got back from 3 nights of the Pixies in Chicago, but I still would love to see Helmet. If I can swing a catnap then I'll be there  :)

Guiny

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:46:00 pm »
I should go since the bassist is Anthrax's ex bassist, they should ROCK!!!!!!!!!

ricekiller

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 05:54:00 pm »
I will be there. Rock out with your Cock out!!!

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 06:21:00 pm »
john tempesta (white zombie/rob zombie) on drums.  that's all i'm sayin'.

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 07:29:00 pm »
helmet

versus

j. mascis

tonight

(and j can play every instrument that helmet needs five guys for)

helmetcaserules

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:16:00 pm »
I have an extra ticket.  Anyone want it?  Meet me at the front door around 830.  White and Green 3/4 tshirt.  

Shame if the crowd is sparse.  Godsmack, Disturbed, Korn, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Chevelle all rehash their stuff and sellout the MCI Center.  The neat thing is, none of those bands are like the idiots on the internet--they ALL give Page his due as the seminal musician he is.  Hell, LB tried to get him to replace Wes Borland.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 08:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by thatguy:
  john tempesta (white zombie/rob zombie) on drums.  that's all i'm sayin'.
Hell yeah!  Nineteen Sixty fiiiiiiive yeah!!! YEOW!

MindCage
 Mindless Faith
 Deep6 Productions
3MTA3

PigIron

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 08:38:00 pm »
Great band.  I'd love to see them but I work.  I hope they come back.  Decent live but I admit I haven't seen them for about 10 years.

rjscholl

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 01:16:00 am »
Well I gotta hand it to Page tonite...he really brought it.  It was painfully obvious that the over 30 crowd (myself included) had no interest in any tunes from the new album, but the 2 songs from the "Meantime" days plus a couple from "Betty" brought the whole house down.  I was hoping for some "Strap It On" but that would have resulted in some broken hips in the old timer mosh pit.  Still $15 seems reasonable (at $5 a song) to relive '92 before everyone sounded like the music Page started and is now imitating...

bearman🐻

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 02:12:00 am »
Actually, it was 3 songs from "Meantime". Here's the setlist:

Pure
 Smart
 Crashing Foreign Cars
 Exactly What You Wanted
 See You Dead
 Ironhead
 Druglord
 Birth Defect
 Unwound
 Throwing Punches
 Everybody Loves You
 Milque Toast
 Last Breath
 Wilma's Rainbow
 In the Meantime
 -------------------
 It's Easy to Get Bored
 Driving Nowhere
 Unsung (on the setlist it said "Well Hung")

I thought overall it was a really solid performance. Some of the new material is pretty damn good, and John Tempesta is a terrific drummer. Nice guy too. Watching Chris Traynor and Frank Bello was a lot of fun. I saw Helmet back in 1993 at the old club and it was one violent show, this time around I could enjoy the music more without fearing for physical injury. I missed Totimoshi so I can't comment on what they were like.

rjscholl

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 08:06:00 am »
Thx for the setlist.  I saw Helmet a few times at the old club too and it was rowdy as hell.  People were climbing up into that "crow's nest" where they used to videotape from.  The new guys are good, but I definitely missed Bogdan and Stanier.

Ever heard the album "Inhaler" by Tad?  That's what "Size Matters" sounds like to me...

Guiny

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
Was it crowded? Did Frank Bello cut his 80's long hair yet now that he switched bands?

bearman🐻

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 10:18:00 am »
There were probably a good 450 to 500 people there. Just about under half full, but they moved the stage up so it seemed like a pretty decent crowd. Frank Bello has sort of a bob thing going on with his hair. Not super long, not short either. I thought that they all performed with a lot of enthusiasm and passion, so to me that was cool. Anytime I see a band on stage having a good time it really makes the show more enjoyable to me.