Author Topic: ELECTRIC SIX ROLL CALLLLLL  (Read 8743 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Re: ELECTRIC SIX ROLL CALLLLLL
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2006, 02:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by P.J.:

Originally posted by you be betty:
  but what if i'm the Dance Commander?
Can I still be Betty? [/b]
You can be Joe.

lily1

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »
we'll be there. any idea on set times? i'm thinking 10/11/12 since there are 3 bands?

i don't think it will sell out tonight. it had the possibility to, but with it being freezing out, and dc folks being weather wimps, it won't sell out now.

you be betty

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »
3 bands on a Saturday night at the Black Cat tend to go much, much later then that.  it depends though on the bands, and whether they are running late or not.  i've been out of there close to 2 before though on Saturday's when there have been three bands, but it just depends...

Shiverintheshadows

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2006, 12:04:00 am »
Originally posted by lily1:
  i don't think it will sell out tonight. it had the possibility to, but with it being freezing out, and dc folks being weather wimps, it won't sell out now.
Ah, but you were quite wrong, my dear.  It was very sold out at least a half before the first band went on and the children were streaming in by the boatloads. I found out the hard way.

lily1

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2006, 02:39:00 am »
yes indeed i was very wrong! and what an odd mix of people that were at that sold out show. was it all ages? cuz there were a significant amount of teenagers, and the random 8 year olds as well. or at least they looked 8 years old. it seemed like the crowd consisted of black cat typicals, teenagers (and tweenagers), and then a whole bunch of non regulars that didn't know what the hell else to do on a saturday night of a holiday weekend. i think a prominent plug of tonight's show on the post's city guide was the root cause.

that said, i've never been at a black cat show where it was giant party and so many folks just bopped around like dancing fools, having a grand ol' time. that was fun to see and definitely made the show more enjoyable. i guess betty threatned everyone with the riot act if they didn't get down and boogy tonight!

i've seen electric 6 now, and once was enough. i came, i saw, i listened. and that's that. i liked every other song. made for a fun sat night but once was enough. lead singer reminded me of dicky barrett from the bosstones.

the lead singer of she wants revenge sounded eerily exactly like ian curtis but a good frontman. as my friend said "she wants revenge is the "lite" version of interpol." to which i replied "with even more vapid lyrics than interpol!"

reggie

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2006, 02:52:00 am »
electric six are not a one hit wonder, that's a pretty stupid thing to say. they've had three singles that were pretty big in the uk.
 also, their new album has some really great songs: future boys, future is in the future, boy or girl, vibrator.

i saw e6 at the black cat a few months back and that show wasnt even close to selling out, so i figured i would just get tix at the door. unfortunately, the she wants shit band really brought the underage high school kids to this show: jocks wearing varsity letter jackets, white-cappers etc. real hip crowd.

this band is such a parody. old bald dudes who used to make hip hop records that jerk off to picutres of interpol? courtesy of fred durst? no thanks.

here's a good article on them from the village voice.

Iggy had peanut butter breath, Big Black had Albini, but as far as confrontation's gone, I've never seen a band that exists solely to mock the idiots who fall for them. 'Joy Division rip' doesn't give LA electro-rockers and must-be industry joke She Wants Revenge enough credit. These songs are JD disco edits, the glum signifiers merely on loop (eighth-note downstrokes; one-note vocal melodies; minor thirds--the math checks out), the lyrics so remarkably inane ("I know I'll have regrets, but that's the price of lessons learned"), but the fans--oh the fans--twisting and date-ignoring along, some so zonked out I couldn't tell if they were sleepwalking or winking at me with their mouths.

I am not being a dick here. Almost every song title references a specific Joy Division number: "Out of Control" ("She's Lost Control"); "Disconnect" ("Isolation"); "Tear You Apart" (!) ("Love Will..."); "Someone Must Get Hurt" ("Atrocity Exhibition"), "These Things" ("These Days"), "Us" ("Colony"); "She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not" ("No Love Lost"); and, god bless SWR, "Broken Promises for Broken Hearts" ("Candidate" [!]). If the band isn't in on this Kaufmanesque stunt, then somebody has to be writing their lyrics too, so autobiographical it actually mortifies me to think they may end up in Facebook profiles: "I'm a mess but it's all right," but better, "It's not that it's my fault / it's just my style."

Hey. This is 2006. The Dance Card still works if bands want to write off mediocrity. In fairness the first five minutes of opener "Red Flags and Long Nights" did kick my ass, as SWR jammed on one chord while their drummer, a step up from the chintzy metronome on record, kicked out double-time on the bass drum. But when the ski-hat wearing frontman Justin Warfield accidentally knocked his mic stand down on (seriously) "Out of Control," broke from his brood trying to catch it, then decided 'play it cool, Justin, you did that on purpose' and hovered near the stagefloor, I felt a chill. "We're slaves to the DJ!" everybody would soon shout along (JW, fyi, was a DJ pre-SWR), then count off 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 with Warfield, whose soul must have died just a little bit from the laughter inside.

you be betty

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2006, 03:29:00 am »
holy shit.  

that was crazy.  
 CRAZY!!!!!

...and by out of place, do you mean, those Texas fools who kept yelling "SYNTHESIZER!!"?  because, they were ridiculous.  and hillarious.  and caused my friend and i to get tossed accross the room in a mass pit of giggles and dance invasion...

i have never, ever seen the black cat like that.  it's good to know that people in DC actually are capable of dancing, 'cause i was pretty much convinced that we were all robots who specialized in folding our arms.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2006, 04:24:00 am »
I am so bummed that I'm out of town and had to miss it!  

I'm hoping the dancing was thoroughly improper.
_\|/_

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2006, 11:45:00 am »
in the us they would be considered no hit wonders as they haven't gotten past playing the black cat and what single are they likely to be rememeber for in the uk.  the one that jack white "didn't" play on?  they went from being the hit of the uk festivals to being hit with bottles at festivals.
T.Rex

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2006, 01:45:00 pm »
it remains a mystery why anyone likes them

i think me and some of my friends could totally act that stupid...and do, on occasion!

you be betty

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2006, 02:12:00 pm »
i like them.  
 if you don't, that's fine.  they might not be your schtick.  we get it, already.

sonickteam2

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2006, 11:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  i like them.  
 if you don't, that's fine.  they might not be your schtick.  we get it, already.
oh so i am only allowed one post about not liking them but you can make 7 or 8 about how great they are or whatever?

you be betty

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2006, 11:45:00 pm »
no; i wasn't saying that at all.  and i didn't mean to imply that, if that's what was implied.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2006, 09:24:00 am »
When we say bad things about bands and about other people, the baby Jesus cries.
_\|/_

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2006, 09:33:00 am »
sorry....i did go see them on Friday night, so i thought i was allowed to make a comment or two about it  :)  

i know betty didnt mean any harm, neither did i....  ;)