Author Topic: The Carlsonics  (Read 2404 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
The Carlsonics
« on: December 27, 2003, 12:41:00 pm »
So who is going tonight... I've been meaning to see them ever since the Von Bondies show and could never muster up the energy.  So I'm maxing and relaxing on the couch in order to be ready for the big show.  Hope to see some of the loons there...
T.Rex

Bags

Re: The Carlsonics
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 12:50:00 pm »
I'm going, and since you'll be there (and I missed the 22nd gathering so you have no idea who I am), I'll be in my finest black & white Fleshtones winter wear.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 01:53:00 pm »
me a t-shirt with a mini speedometer on it..
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
Hello,

Well I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday....... So rock and roll is out for me for a couple of days. Anyone want to come and rub my back?

The good news is I put a deposit on a MINI yesterday. The bad news is it is in NJ still.

Bags

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 03:58:00 pm »
Markie, sorry to hear about your back -- I hope it was at least pulled doing something interesting.

But great news on the Mini.  So exciting -- and I thought I was gonna get to drive you to B'more one of these days.

Feel better; good stuff coming up.

walkman

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 04:36:00 pm »
can't make it tonight, but my buddy patrick is going, so if you see a handsome young irishman, please say hello.

markie

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagster:
  Markie, sorry to hear about your back -- I hope it was at least pulled doing something interesting.

But great news on the Mini.  So exciting -- and I thought I was gonna get to drive you to B'more one of these days.

Feel better; good stuff coming up.
Thanks.... Unfortunately I was just working out.

The mini is exciting....... My first Car.

The list of shows is looking quite impressive. Its like Britpop month or something.

paige

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 05:54:00 pm »
Not going tonight... the last remnants of relatives are still lurking around the area..

ugh.

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 06:57:00 pm »
I wish I was going, it should be a great time, but I am in St. Louis, boooooo

poorlulu

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2003, 10:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:
  can't make it tonight, but my buddy patrick is going, so if you see a handsome young irishman, please say hello.
uh huh huh uh................hello..................  ;)

Bags

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 02:58:00 am »
So, I tried to find Patrick...I kissed all kinds of guys who looked Irish.  Turns out, a lot of guys look Irish...    :D

Relaxer

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 02:06:00 pm »
So how was the show? I badly wanted to go but couldn't make it. They were very good opening for the Buzzcocks, and am interested in how they did on a headlining gig.
oword

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 02:14:00 pm »
thumbs up... they have matured a bit since i saw them with von bondies a while back.  aaron the lead singer is going to be a great front man at rate he's going.  a great mixture of goof, spastic and traditional rock star moves.  i imagined seeing a young roddy woomble in action.  good band that could go places..
T.Rex

Bags

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 02:53:00 pm »
Ditto to Kosmo's review.  Though I was pretty blown away at how loud the show was; I bought earplugs for the first time ever.  Though I couldn't wear them in the end.  I swear it was the loudest show I've ever been to...Had a great time, and it was bonzo to meet the Man, the power pop/DJ legend himself.    ;)

JGatz

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 06:31:00 pm »
I thought they were better at the 930 opening for the Buzzcocks.  The mix sucked.  For some reason the sound techs at the blackcat always mix the vocals so low and the lead guitar is blasted.  It drives me crazy when I can't hear the lead singer.  Do they hire deaf sound techs?  It was painfully loud.  Overall I thought the Carlsonics were a little better than average.  The front man for the Carlsonics has great stage presence, something that seems to be lacking these days from a lot of bands.

The best show I've seen lately at the blackcat was Laguardia and the Oranges band playing the backstage.  The Carlsonics could have opened for those two bands on the mainstage.