Author Topic: Flesh for Lulu - I Go Crazy video  (Read 1709 times)

Gothiczartan

Flesh for Lulu - I Go Crazy video
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:02:00 am »
has anyone ever heard of this band and seen their music video? I've seen in on VH1Classic after I heard this song on WHFS.

booradley17

Re: Flesh for Lulu - I Go Crazy video
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 05:36:00 pm »
I actually saw these guys play at the old 9:30 in about 87 or 88(there I go dating myself again).As I remember they sounded kind of like Echo and the Bunnymen or maybe the Cure and aside from the song I Go Crazy, which got played constantly on WHFS that year, I can't remember them having any other "hits?" or anything.I could also be wrong about this but I think at that show they played with Gene Loves Jezebel another similar sounding British one hit wonder.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 05:42:00 pm »
i am fairly certain that the show was an IMP show put on at GW's Lisner auditorium.  i know i was there, i just don't remember anything remarkable about the show....

Medusa

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 07:47:00 pm »
"Postcards From Paradise" was also a semi-hit for them, though not as popular as "I Go Crazy."  (I've got the album, but admit I don't play it that often).

The lead singer for that band was *hot*, as you can see in the "I Go Crazy" video.   :)  

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

twangirl

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 07:56:00 pm »
Flesh For Lulu was a favorite of mine in the mid-'80s. I was a DJ at Poseur's then and we played them a lot. My favorite album came out in 1985 and I think was called Big Fun City. The songs off it I played the most were Cat Burglar and Vaguely Human, but also Laundromat Kat, Seven Hail Mary's, Baby Hurricane, and Golden Handshake Girl. Still have the vinyl, but have never seen it on CD.
 I Go Crazy was toward the end of their career,  they were much more rock in their early days, nothing like Echo or The Cure, they had a street-punk vibe that was closer to the Damned. I Go Crazy was too pop for me, although we still played the video all the time.
 They did play the old 9:30 co-headlining with March Violets [they were kind of gothish and their danceclub hit was Snake Dance] in March of '87 and with the Dead Milkmen in January '86. I don't remember if they ever played Lisner.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 01:03:00 am »
Originally posted by twangirl:
  I was a DJ at Poseur's  
Wow - there's a blast from the past.

Juliaz3

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 03:01:00 pm »
Flesh for Lulu also had a big dancefloor hit with a song called "Siamese Twist" circa 1987. "Big Fun City" actually was released on a CD along with the "Blue Sisters Swing" Ep. I well remember that show with the March Violets, and also a later one at the Bayou.

FFL rawked! I've been praying for a reunion show for years, but apparently some members of the band think no one would come out for it.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 03:03:00 pm »
You can pick up their latest album at Sam Goody in Springfield Mall.

Originally posted by Gothiczartan:
  has anyone ever heard of this band and seen their music video? I've seen in on VH1Classic after I heard this song on WHFS.

Juliaz3

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 03:22:00 pm »
Latest album? Do you mean the one called "Gigantic" that came out in the mid-90s or have you seen something more recent?

I wouldn't trust that any new FFL album would be anything like their original rock sound or their later, more pop sound. "Gigantic" was very L.A.-overproduced loud guitar metal. NOT the FFL that most of us knew and loved.

Gothiczartan, if you want to hear the true sound of classic FFL, buy the "Long Live the New Flesh" CD or the "Big Fun City" CD. They're still available, both are listed on Amazon.

Gothiczartan

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 05:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by Juliaz3:
  Latest album? Do you mean the one called "Gigantic" that came out in the mid-90s or have you seen something more recent?

I wouldn't trust that any new FFL album would be anything like their original rock sound or their later, more pop sound. "Gigantic" was very L.A.-overproduced loud guitar metal. NOT the FFL that most of us knew and loved.

Gothiczartan, if you want to hear the true sound of classic FFL, buy the "Long Live the New Flesh" CD or the "Big Fun City" CD. They're still available, both are listed on Amazon.
I already got it from TowerRecords.com thank you for letting me know!

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 12:34:00 am »
I remember them but can't remember them....if that makes any sense.   :roll: