Author Topic: Anyone know an affordable NYC motel??  (Read 3890 times)

Vas Deferens

Anyone know an affordable NYC motel??
« on: April 12, 2006, 04:34:00 pm »
I'm seeing Scissor Sisters at the Bowery. I found a cheap bus from DC to NYC for $35 roundtrip (those Chinese buses!)...need info on affordable NYC motel or even hostel?
(_|_)

Random Citizen

Re: Anyone know an affordable NYC motel??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »
Chelsea Star Hotel

It's near Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and a bunch of subway stops. I've stayed there a couple of times and it's great.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:16:00 pm »
Yes, it's right next door to crackhouse alley...

lanemcf

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »
The HoJo on Houston is nice, and usually has rooms available at a discount short notice.  I don't know what your definition of "affordable" is in NYC, but it's worth checking out.

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
I don't know what night your show is, or what you consider cheap, but I always get a 4 star hotel in NYC through hotwire.com for $150 or less.

Random Citizen

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 05:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
I've traveled to NYC alone several times and have never had any problems in that area. That area is always populated, especially if there's a show or game at MSG.

Though, aren't you the one whose parents wouldn't let stand outside the 9:30 Club?  :p

redsand82

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »

chokeychicken

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 06:14:00 pm »
why not just stay in the chelsea hostel?

bikerchickdc

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 06:38:00 pm »
Hotel Pennsylvania right across from Penn Station is decent. A little on the worn side but safe and clean.  http://hotelpenn.com. If you book about 2 weeks in advance you can get about $150/night. Not sure what you consider cheap though.  If you can go a little higher, try Hotel Metro (http://hotelmetronyc.com, it's 35th and 5th or thereabouts.  I stay there most of the time when I go to NYC--- not the Ritz but not bad!

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 06:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:

Originally posted by you be betty:
I've traveled to NYC alone several times and have never had any problems in that area. That area is always populated, especially if there's a show or game at MSG.

Though, aren't you the one whose parents wouldn't let stand outside the 9:30 Club?   :p  [/b]
yes.  sarcasm, dear Random.  New York is perfectly safe.  seriously.

nomad0186

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 07:18:00 pm »
Hotel Carter, 41st street? right off Broadway (down the street from the times square nypd) little run down, but ideal location

matts

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 08:53:00 pm »
Check out Hotel 31 (shared bathrooms, but they are well maintained - I had no problems or gross outs) and the Fitzpatrick.  Ask for the AAA discount, they wont ask for a card or #, they'l  just give you 10% off.  If Hotel 31's website claims it is full, check Travelocity or Expedia, it sells rooms to online consolidators.

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 11:16:00 pm »
This place is pretty good, in a decent part of town at Madison and E. 27th  $109 acc. to the site. Very doable and reasonable. Not like you're going to be spending alot of time in your hotel room, anyway ...

http://www.madison-hotel.com/

HomesickAlien

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 06:08:00 am »
Well, if you survive the bus ride from Chinatown D.C. to Chinatown NY, then why don't you get a room at a youth hostel? When I was in NYC some time ago I took the International Youth Hostel on 103rd street just one block away from the Central Park. It has shared bedrooms though, but if you're just going to sleep there it's enough I guess. I payed $33 for a night, if you are a member at the International youth hostel (they are scattered all over the States) you pay even less.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 06:53:00 am »
Haven't any of you people heard of hotwire.com?

Why stay in a shitty hotel for $150 when you can get a 4 star hotel for the same price?