Author Topic: GBV Roll Call  (Read 20378 times)

godsshoeshine

Re: GBV Roll Call
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2004, 02:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  So moshing isn't cool cause people at GBV concerts don't do it, but throwing beer at each other is? And usually rushing the stage and dancing up there isnt cool either, but now all of a sudden it is cause it happended at a GBV concert. Usually its the frat boys or teenage girls that get slammed for doing stuff like that. Glad you all had a good time though, thats whats important.    :)  
well, there was much moshing at the magnet mag party last year, during the gbv set. i broke my spiderman watch.
o/\o

Bags

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2004, 02:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee:
  So moshing isn't cool cause people at GBV concerts don't do it, but throwing beer at each other is? And usually rushing the stage and dancing up there isnt cool either, but now all of a sudden it is cause it happended at a GBV concert. Usually its the frat boys or teenage girls that get slammed for doing stuff like that. Glad you all had a good time though, thats whats important.    :)  
Rob, who said:
 (1) moshing isn't cool
 (2) throwing beer is cool
 (3) that anyone rushed the stage at GBV, and
 (4) dancing up front by the stage is not good?

You're extrapolating a lot....again, I think you're confusing slams about certain bands music with slams about show behavior (though one point to make -- the GBV show was packed, but people weren't pushing or elbowing or exhibiting particularly asshole-ish behavior, which does make a difference and is a crowd thing...)

Relaxer

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2004, 08:09:00 pm »
I'll be the minority, possibly of one, and say that A) I thought Tommy Keene's opening set was somewhat boring, and B) his high-pitched squeal of a voice sounded TERRIBLE on Teenage FBI and Glad Girls. For the last ever encore of a GBV show, I want to hear Bob braying to the masses, not Tommy Keene. I, and most of the people around me, were very glad when he finally got off the damn stage and let GBV finish their own damn show.

Great time other than that. I am a Tree was a highpoint, as was the Sad if I Lost It opener, and Buzzards and Dreadful Crows.
oword

Bags

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2004, 08:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  I want to hear Bob braying to the masses, not Tommy Keene. I, and most of the people around me, were very glad when he finally got off the damn stage and let GBV finish their own damn show.  
A friend who was at the show with me agrees with you completely.  I happen to love Keene a lot, and I loved the encore.  But, if GBV were one of my absolute faves, I'd probably feel the same way (though after 2.5 hours, does it really detract much?).  

I agree though -- Keene's voice is perfect for his songs, and Bob's voice is perfect for his songs....

eltee

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2004, 08:48:00 pm »
For an encore and in particular, a last show, I can undestand. Sometimes I don't like it when bands alter or botch their encore / popular songs.  
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  I want to hear Bob braying to the masses, not Tommy Keene. I, and most of the people around me, were very glad when he finally got off the damn stage and let GBV finish their own damn show.  
(though after 2.5 hours, does it really detract much?).[/b]

Bags

« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2004, 08:54:00 pm »
Natalie Merchant once RUINED an R.E.M. encore for me, with her damn warbly voice and twirly circle dancing...  And it was such a great show at Radio City Music Hall.    ;)  

Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Silk:
  For an encore and in particular, a last show, I can undestand. Sometimes I don't like it when bands alter or botch their encore / popular songs.

redsock

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2004, 10:22:00 am »
a bit torrent of the DC show is being linked on largehearted boy. Can someone explain to me what the hell one of these things are?

ratioci nation

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2004, 10:27:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  a bit torrent of the DC show is being linked on largehearted boy. Can someone explain to me what the hell one of these things are?
http://dessent.net/btfaq/

BitTorrent is a protocol designed for transferring files. It is peer-to-peer in nature, as users connect to each other directly to send and receive portions of the file. However, there is a central server (called a tracker) which coordinates the action of all such peers. The tracker only manages connections, it does not have any knowledge of the contents of the files being distributed, and therefore a large number of users can be supported with relatively limited tracker bandwidth. The key philosophy of BitTorrent is that users should upload (transmit outbound) at the same time they are downloading (receiving inbound.) In this manner, network bandwidth is utilized as efficiently as possible. BitTorrent is designed to work better as the number of people interested in a certain file increases, in contrast to other file transfer protocols.

That means, if you want the show, get it sooner then later, the download is much faster when more people are interested.

tooms

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2004, 01:00:00 pm »
i thought the show was great. the first ten songs or so rocked, (esp. I Am a Tree, which i hadn't heard live before), then it got a bit sloppy in the middle, but last 45 minutes or so was great.  the encore was full of "hits", but as someone who doesn't have the energy to keep track of everything Pollard has done, that was fine with me.  fairly consistent show throughout for GBV, which isn't always the case for them.

It was fun to see Tommy on stage with Pollard at the end, lots of love there, but keene's voice doesn't suit GBV. still, no biggie, it was still great.  good crowd too.  And Pollard is the Face of Rock and Roll.  i can't get enough of his feaux rock poses, the kicks and the raps.  Bags and i the dirty dozen got out money's worth.

BTW, how great is it in this day and age that we see a good band on their farwell tour with a good opener for $20?

Guiny

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2004, 01:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by tooms:
 BTW, how great is it in this day and age that we see a good band on their farwell tour with a good opener for $20? [/QB]
When one finally comes around, I'll let ya know.

ratioci nation

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2004, 02:30:00 pm »
setlist

930 Club, Washington DC 9/11/2004

Sad If I Lost it/Everyone Thinks I'm A Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking)/My Impression Now/Sleep Over Jack/Girls of Wild Strawberries/Things I Will Keep/I Am a Tree/Window of My World/Run Son Run/Game of Pricks/The Best of Jill Hives/Squirmish Frontal Room/Red Men and Their Wives/Gonna Never Have to Die/Cut-out Witch/The Closets of Henry/Tour Guide at the Winston Churchill Memorial/I'll Replace You With Machines/Christian Animation Torch Carriers/Back to the Lake/My Kind of Soldier/Navigating Flood Regions/Beg for a Wheelbarrow/Tropical Robots/It's Only Natural/Secret Star/Queen of Cans and Jars/I Drove a Tank/Shocker in Gloomtown/Lethargy/Red Ink Superman/Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory/Chief Barrel Belly/Sons of Apollo/Asphyxiated Circle/Bull Spears/Mascara Snakes/Watch Me Jumpstart/Harrison Adams/Tractor Rape Chain/Their Biggest Win/Buzzards and Dreadful Crows/Murder Charge/ENCORE: A Salty Salute/Motor Away/Teenage FBI/Glad Girls/Echos Myron/I Am a Scientist

Bags

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2004, 02:40:00 pm »
Thanks, P....

palahniukkubrick

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2004, 04:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  setlist

930 Club, Washington DC 9/11/2004

Sad If I Lost it/Everyone Thinks I'm A Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking)/My Impression Now/Sleep Over Jack/Girls of Wild Strawberries/Things I Will Keep/I Am a Tree/Window of My World/Run Son Run/Game of Pricks/The Best of Jill Hives/Squirmish Frontal Room/Red Men and Their Wives/Gonna Never Have to Die/Cut-out Witch/The Closets of Henry/Tour Guide at the Winston Churchill Memorial/I'll Replace You With Machines/Christian Animation Torch Carriers/Back to the Lake/My Kind of Soldier/Navigating Flood Regions/Beg for a Wheelbarrow/Tropical Robots/It's Only Natural/Secret Star/Queen of Cans and Jars/I Drove a Tank/Shocker in Gloomtown/Lethargy/Red Ink Superman/Goldheart Mountaintop Queen Directory/Chief Barrel Belly/Sons of Apollo/Asphyxiated Circle/Bull Spears/Mascara Snakes/Watch Me Jumpstart/Harrison Adams/Tractor Rape Chain/Their Biggest Win/Buzzards and Dreadful Crows/Murder Charge/ENCORE: A Salty Salute/Motor Away/Teenage FBI/Glad Girls/Echos Myron/I Am a Scientist
now  that's  a setlist.

Bags

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2004, 01:18:00 am »
goodbye, dear Pollard, we'll miss ye....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 7, 2004
 ROCK REVIEW

A Band That Built Its Cult Fan by Fan, Not Hit by Hit
 By JON PARELES

ith no small pride, Robert Pollard told the sold-out audience at Irving Plaza on Sunday that his band, Guided by Voices, was playing "a three-hour show without one single hit." It was the boast of a songwriter who has earned every member of an international cult.

The concert was the last New York City show for Guided by Voices, the name of Mr. Pollard's band since 1983, which will be ending its career with a New Year's Eve show in Chicago. It's a farewell tour, but not quite as final as, for instance, the breakup of Phish (also founded in 1983) this year. Phish's lineup had not changed since 1985, while the only constant in Guided by Voices has been Mr. Pollard as singer and songwriter, and he is unlikely to stay silent.

Guided by Voices did everything cult bands do: touring steadily and putting out more music than anyone but a full-time fan can absorb, with more than two dozen albums and hundreds of songs. "We only have 8,000 songs," Mr. Pollard said, not exaggerating by much; he is startlingly prolific.

Coming from out-of-the-way Dayton, Ohio, recording many songs as low-fi, do-it-yourself projects and coming up with album titles like "Half Smiles of the Decomposed" only made Guided by Voices more of a find. On Sunday night, the band played songs every fan knew - "A Salty Salute," "I Am a Scientist," "Tractor Rape Chain" - alongside songs like "Tropical Robots" and "Redmen and Their Wives" that are collectors' items.

In a different pop era - the 1960's and the early 70's - Mr. Pollard would have been a hitmaker. He reaches back to the Beatles, the Byrds, the Who and their Midwestern disciples like Cheap Trick, the Raspberries and the Replacements; occasionally, he jumps ahead to pulsating new wave rock. Mr. Pollard's songs are perpetually tuneful, and he sings like a more wistful John Lennon.

His lyrics can be allusive free associations or straightforward confessions of disaffection and self-doubt. "Pimple Zoo" repeats, "Sometimes I get the feeling that you don't want me around" over chunky Beatles guitar chords. For all the whimsy and wordplay, Mr. Pollard's songs have plenty of heart. The final song on Sunday, "Echos Myron," observed, "All of a sudden I'm relatively sane/with everything to lose and nothing to gain."

Guided by Voices is retiring in top musical form. Onstage, Doug Gillard and Nate Farley's guitars entwined for folk-rock picking or shared hefty chords; Chris Slusarenko on bass and Kevin March on drums made the songs brawny and explosive. Mr. Pollard swigged beer and tequila, did shoulder-high kicks, swung his microphone on its cord like Roger Daltrey and embraced fans who climbed onto the stage, letting some of them sing. It wasn't an arena gig, but Mr. Pollard was definitely a star.

tooms

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2004, 02:06:00 pm »
matt/pollard, have you seen setlists for the Irving shows?