Author Topic: saturday night roll call.  (Read 6595 times)

redsock

Re: saturday night roll call.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2006, 05:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  ] will definitely stick around for soft complex and get the hell out before exit clov.

Wait, what's your beef with the Clov?

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2006, 06:32:00 pm »
hey, so i am wondering...
 is there anyone here that is going to the Evens show, and then heading over to the black cat, for sure?

i still don't know whether i'm going to attempt to do both, but in the event that i do - is there anyone who is doing both, for sure, that would wanna maybe give little Betty a ride?  i'm very polite.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »
It's not walking distance from the venue that the Evens are playing at, to the Black Cat?

I'm gonna attempt to do both but I'm going to walk.
(_|_)

you be betty

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2006, 08:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by Joe M.:
  It's not walking distance from the venue that the Evens are playing at, to the Black Cat?

I'm gonna attempt to do both but I'm going to walk.
well it might be, but i don't think it's exactly walking distance for a girl like me (even if i have another guy with me).  let me know if you decide to drive.

lukiedookie89

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2006, 10:42:00 pm »
The Evens show isn't near metro?

anarchist

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2006, 12:42:00 am »
the ONLY way to get around dc fast is by bicycle.  thx to whoever originally posted the evens show.  it was not posted anywhere else.  no city paper, wash post. it is not even on pf's website. maybe pf was handing out flyers, but i never saw one.  it will be interesting to see what size kind of crowd they get with no advertising.  i think peirce hall is pretty big.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »
(_|_)

lbcardoni

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2006, 06:16:00 pm »
landspeedrecord! at the Talking Head for me...

you be betty

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »
so what did everyone think?

Sage 703

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 02:19:00 pm »
thanks to those forumites who made it - we had a lot of fun.

redsock

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2006, 03:52:00 pm »
I'll be honest, I thought it was a good, if not great show. Georgie James were not as good as I had hoped, and their stage presence was lacking. That is not to say they were bad, just not as good as I had hoped, but I should give them some time. I wasn't blown away by Soft Complex either. I think, standing at the merch table, the sound played an issue, cause I thought it was not all that great for Exit Clov's set either. So, some of my feelings on the show have to be framed with that in mind. Certainly no act was bad, I guess I just had really high hopes.

I think i was a bit dissapointed because this show had the chance of being a great chance for some local band unity, especially with all the bands being of relatively similar sounds. But I didn't hear it, or see it. I know certain members of each band were excited, and it showed. But others could not have cared less about the "local" aspect, and that showed too. Regardless, well worth $10. I had a great time selling shit and talking with friends. Kudos to Bags and whoever else made it out. Curious to hear your thoguhts on the evening.

you be betty

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »
i had thought beforehand they were relatively similar too, and then i started to realize how different they all were once everyone started playing.

you weren't the guy selling Georgie James cds, were you?  he was kind of...um...interesting...

anyway, i thought all three bands were fantastic.  it was really nice to see all the people there for both Georgie James and Soft Complex.  i was a bit alarmed at how many dissipated for Exit Clov.

and who else went to the Evens show?  that was really good, as well.  i really loved their new stuff.  Antelope were awesome.  and it was nice to meet BookerT   :)

Bags

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2006, 05:22:00 pm »
Redsock, I agree with you -- I thought it might be a more 'exciting' evening than it was.  Sometimes at local showcases like that, there's a palpable energy.

At first I was not digging Georgie James much, but I think the second half of their set improved markedly.  I, too, was thinking that it will be interesting to see if and how they gel over time and if the shows get better by leaps and bounds.  I think I'd need some leaps and bounds to become a regular follower.

Soft Complex also started out being a hoot to me -- at first, the sound was so derivative of Morrissey that it was more of a nostalgic trip.  But I got to like them more as their set wore on.

I hadn't realized that I haven't seen Exit Clov for a couple years!  I only got to see three songs (friends insisting we head out), and I think they've gotten really good.  They lost some of the 'art rock jamming' thing that I'd seen, ages ago.  And I LOVE their merchandise -- the poster for that show, the t-shirts -- VERY cool and I love the DC-centric aspects of the artwork.  Looking forward to more shows.

Good to see you redsock, hope you sold a lotta stuff!

BookerT

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2006, 05:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  and it was nice to meet BookerT    :)  
i really hope my name is not in some sort of bad, bad registry/list for giving you and yr crew a ride between shows on saturday nite, betty. a friend of mine at the evens show was convinced it was a sting and i was off to the slammer.

the evens were very good, although the usual preachy ian stuff gets tiresome after a bit. but, y'know, it's actually humorous at this point. antelope was solid, but when they finished i was shocked to see that they only played for 30 minutes or so. it felt like longer, which isn't usually a good thing. joe lally was ... well, i dunno. he introduced one song with "middle school and high school were really tough times for me." ok, joe. it's been 25 years, hopefully you've gotten over it. he meant well. i'm pretty sure there were more people in that church who voted for nader than kerry.

missed the first few georgie james songs as i was driving around looking for parking for 15-20 minutes (see, it was a good thing i dropped y'all off, betty). caught most of it, good stuff, liked the backstage show a bit better, probably just because i was drunker. the morrissey stuff really smashes you on the head at the beginning of soft complex and it's all you can pay attention to at first, but after a while you get over it and that's a good thing, because it's a good sound and good songs, although i wouldn't mind if the songs were a bit shorter. but that's just me. headed out before exit clov -- five bands and five hours of standing was plenty for me.

Bags

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2006, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  the morrissey stuff really smashes you on the head at the beginning of soft complex and it's all you can pay attention to at first, but after a while you get over it and that's a good thing, because it's a good sound and good songs, although i wouldn't mind if the songs were a bit shorter.  
Exactly the reaction I had!