Author Topic: Snow Patrol Roll Call  (Read 7167 times)

eltee

Re: Snow Patrol Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2004, 11:38:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

Originally posted by Bags:
     Soft-rockiness I'll take, bland -- no.
Jumbled words not coherent sentence make. [/b]
Oh that's just his thick accent.  ;)
 It's funny, they really rock out a bit more live than on their most recent album. "Run" is a bit veiled over. Their older albums are heavier in bass and charged guitar. Don't forget they blew a speaker last time they were here! I plan to make Sonick go to their next show and listen to their older cds just to prove it all.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2004, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  So, what's the definition on soft rock then?  I'd be curious to see how many bands fall into the category.
When I think of Soft Rock, its the stuff that usually ends up on Lite FM stations.  The trend started in the 70s with Chicago, Bread, Neil Diamond, The Carpenters, etc.  Continued on with Air Supply, Billy Joel, Christopher Cross.

I think Professor Markie intially incorrectly identified them as a Soft Rock group.  MOR much better.  Plus MOR groups tend to be where most of the guilty pleasures can be found...
T.Rex

eltee

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2004, 11:42:00 am »
When I first listened to "Run", I thought it was borderline emo. Allmusic lists them as "Twee Pop" whatever that is. I was hesistant to go see them live and I was pleasantly surprised. I really think it's the production on this album and the diffusers they used when recording.

markie

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Sugartastic Tee Flava:
   I really think it's the production on this album and the diffusers they used when recording.
No, it has whimpy lyrics....

Makes me want to cry and as I whisper my last good bye, I nearly do.

I dunno, Kosmo, that means soft-rock was only found in the 70's and 80's and came from America? I think snow patrol and coldplay are laying down a new generation of shite that will be played on bland radio in 20 years time...... Kind of like What U2 has been doing the last 15 years.

thirsty moore

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
I believe Belle and Sebastian are considered Twee.  The term's been around for a little while now.

Allmusic lists them as "Twee Pop" whatever that is.

jkeisenh

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2004, 11:48:00 am »
i will be there.

thirsty moore

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
Are Snow Patrol on the radio now?  If not, then I wouldn't count on them being heard on the radio 20 years from now.

Originally posted by mark e smith:
 I think snow patrol and coldplay are laying down a new generation of shite that will be played on bland radio in 20 years time......

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2004, 11:55:00 am »
I wouldn't be so sure.  There seems to be a fondness these days for 80's music that never got much airplay when it came out.

markie

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2004, 12:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by econo:
  Are Snow Patrol on the radio now?  If not, then I wouldn't count on them being heard on the radio 20 years from now.

I guess I think they should be on the radio.... Surely HFS or someone must have played Run...? I dunno I dont listen to regular radio, I guess I am completely out of touch with the mainstream.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
well i didn't research the soft rock thing very far... i just picked the most obvious names listed on allmusic.  allmusic also indicates that the soft rock morphed into adult contemporary in the 90s...

just got a steve harley & cockney rebel greatest hits cd and would have to place it in the soft rock category
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2004, 12:13:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:

just got a steve harley & cockney rebel greatest hits cd and would have to place it in the soft rock category
I have one of them.....Other than the two good singles I would mostly place it in the shite category.   :p

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2004, 12:15:00 pm »
i was thinking the same thing... luckily it was one of the fye cheapo import castoffs
T.Rex

anastasia

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
Any idea if Snow Patrol is going to sell out tonight?  Haven't got my tix yet.

markie

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2004, 01:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by anastasia:
  Any idea if Snow Patrol is going to sell out tonight?  Haven't got my tix yet.
Read this.

Bags

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2004, 01:56:00 pm »
  Allmusic lists them as "Twee Pop" whatever that is.
sopft rock, MOR, whatever.  But twee pop, no friggin' way.  That's Camera Obscura, all the way....