Author Topic: Raveonettes live setup?  (Read 5016 times)

azaghal1981

Raveonettes live setup?
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:49:00 pm »
Full band or just the duo?
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Raveonettes live setup?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:15:00 am »
last week in chicago: duo (guitars + voc) + third on perc (who played along to a click track)
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:09:00 am »
Thanks.

How was it? The new album is great.

I really want to go to spontaneous infinity but a friend is trying to coax me into seeing them so I'm torn.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:00:00 am »
very solid show.  very JAMC'ish, i was most impressed with the vocal harmonies.  

definitely a tough call, those are two excellent choices for you.  personally i'm only so-so on experiemental/improv/free jazz/etc, so i'd go with the ravonettes, but i know it's big in your books and a festival of this type doesn't come by often.

sorry to only confuse things further.  maybe you could club-hop and do both?  the ravonettes' openers, black acid, can be skipped.  they're decent but you wouldn't be missing too much.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:07:00 am »
I like JAMC'ish.

Sadly, it'll have to be one show or the other since I'm kind of on a tight budget as of late.
احمد

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:51:00 pm »
Maybe this will help. I would skip Black Acid. Couldnt remember a single thing about them, aside for the fact it just seemed they would never end. Id say out of a pretty packed Bowery only a handful of people were into the band. Everyone else started talking and soon it was quite loud. The lead singer didnt say one thing the entire set which I found quite amusing, esp since I forgot who the band was.

The Raveonettes I would _NOT_ miss! Easily one of the best shows Ive been to this year. I saw them open for Blonde/Redhead (and saw them last year as a duo as well), so perhaps Im a bit biased. Their new songs sound better than ever. The harmonies are excellent. I should add they love playing in NYC, so the whole time Sharin kept saying how much she wanted to stay here. They complement each othe r perfectly. Sune was wearing a BJM shirt so people were yelling out for their songs. He seemed to enjoy it. They played a good mix of early and new stuff and their encore sent them out in fine fashion.  The swirling guitars over the vocals were quite nice (as all my dutch friends like to say).

They're definitely not a band to miss. HOpe this helps. And yes - very JAMCish -  you could hear it all the way through - and add some Mazzy Star. Its a beautiful sound!
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »
will they sell out the Black Cat...?  I'm not so sure...
(_|_)

Driveway

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »
I bought a ticket incase it sells out.  I saw them about 4 or 5 years ago and it was pretty packed.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 08:59:00 am »
I'll stay home based on what I heard from NPR from the World Cafe show and this review:

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2008/03/2404.cfm
(_|_)

Tom Servo

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »
Since this was the closest thing to a roll call thread...

Fantastic show last night.  I went in with high expectations having seen them a few times before and  wasn't disappointed.  New songs sounded great and they mixed in several from the previous albums.  

They closed with Love Can Destroy Everything and Twilight, two of my favorites.  

Crowd yapping was under control, at least where I was near the front, but the obligatory lack of dancing comment is warranted.  DC crowds don't so much listen to music...they consider it.  They warmed up a bit by the end.

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »
Very enjoyable show.

The JAMC-ish comment was pretty accurate.

I was near the middle rows and toward the left and the chattiness was almost unbarable at times.
احمد

Driveway

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »
i also enjoyed the show.  i was hoping to hear 'little animals' and 'beat city' but they were really great.  i almost like them better as a 2 (3?) piece.  they didn't really seem burned out to me, they sounded great and seemed happy to be there.

secretsquirrel

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 03:53:00 pm »
Yeah I didn't sense any fatigue or anything like that. They did mention that this was the first time they sold out the Black Cat, so maybe they were more excited.. I dunno. I thought the show actually got better as it went on. The singing was great -- very spooky & powerful. Great show!

Darth Ed

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 12:19:00 am »
This was my first time seeing the Raveonettes, and I was really impressed. Really great show! They readily exhibit their influences, but they do put their own stamp on their sound. Enjoyed their whole set immensely. I was surprised how much of the audience was grooving to their music. Very enjoyable. After selling out the Black Cat, maybe they'll get booked in the 9:30 Club next time through?

saintangelsin

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 02:30:00 am »
Black Acid were pretty terrible. I thought they were boring. I am jealous that out on the west coast my friends saw Be Your Pet open for the Raveonettes.

As for the Raveonettes, I was extremely happy with their set. It sounded fantastic and they seemed to have been having fun on stage. I was super happy to hear all the songs I was expecting. I've been a fan of the band since 2002, so for me, it was worth the wait to finally see them live.