Author Topic: Jens Roll call  (Read 10067 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: Jens Roll call
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »
A 'lil pubic hair?   :D  

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Yeah, but what is it you're shaving?
(_|_)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Yeah, but what is it you're shaving?
My face and neck, silly.

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2008, 12:27:00 am »
Wow, the opener was amazing. I can totally see why pitchfork gave his album an 8.7.

And what dance school did Jens pluck his dj from?

And does anybody else think that Jens looks like Elliot Spitzer?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2008, 12:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Wow, the opener was amazingly shitty
there you go...
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2008, 01:17:00 am »
solid, solid show.  wasn't quite the transcendental experience that his last show was (based on first-hand accounts), but definitely a fine evening of entertainment.  damn that jens knows how to give & take with the crowd.  for a sold out show, there was a HELL of a lot of room behind the soundboard.

i was lucky enough (by all account) to have missed the openers.

got to see a ton of boardees which is always a hoot.  big ups to gentlemens chutney, hoya & brennser - always a pleasure.  didn't see nkotb, although he was probably hidding from mr. marshmellow, who i did get to hang with.  and no sightings of mr. nakatestes, unfortunately for me.  to you, and to mr. ed: "next time!"
<sig>

Darth Ed

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 01:24:00 am »
I actually kind of liked The Honeydrips. Not the performance, mind you, if you even want to call it a performance, but I do like his music. I checked out his web site this afternoon and enjoyed listening to several of his MP3s. I was going to buy his CD, but they wanted $15, which seemed ridiculous for an opener, so I passed. Maybe the high CD prices are due to the weak dollar-to-euro exchange rate?

So Jens was really great, but not quite as great as last time, I thought. The set list wasn't quite as strong (I particularly missed "Cold Swedish Winter"), and the crowd didn't seem to be as into it, at least not up front. The sing-along at the end was pretty much a disaster compared to last time's perfection.

slowgraffiti

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 01:35:00 am »
was that five encores? that concert was delicious. i could do that every night. i'm running on such a high i don't even care to compare it to the other jens shows... i'd willingly put up with mister honeydrip and his terrifying swedish song for tonight every night, and it wouldn't be like that time elmo wished it were christmas every day.
 pocketfullofmoney was cute and fridaynightatthedriveinbingo was a lot of fun, i don't know if that many people will be whistling in one room that i'm in again. so there.

azaghal1981

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2008, 01:38:00 am »
Completely agree with the "great show but not as great as last time" sentiment. What the fuck happened in Pocket Full of Money? "Disaster" is right.
احمد

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2008, 07:25:00 am »
But pitchfork gave him an 8.4,so he must be good.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/47401-here-comes-the-future

I did see marshmallow (sorry i was in a rush), but missed seeing sweetcell and other boardies...

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Wow, the opener was amazingly shitty
there you go... [/b]

azaghal1981

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2008, 08:20:00 am »
The hilarious freaked out reaction of the girl in front me toward the creepy appearance/lyrics of the Honeydrips more than made up for the boring set.

My favorite line I overheard from someone in the crowd:
 "I bet his parents are glad that he's out of their basement."
احمد

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 09:12:00 am »
I can't believe you guys didn't grasp the brilliant parody of a bored ironic hipster, complete with beard and scarf, as portrayed by Mr. Honey Drip. "I'm going to put my guitar down. I don't need it on this one." Sheer brilliance.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2008, 09:39:00 am »
Mr. Honeydrip was creppy. He had that "I'm going to tie you up and kill you" look. And his nodding made him even creepier.

Jens was great as always. We got "Higher Power" this time, but the string arrangement of the song went to "Black Cab". "Drive-In Bingo" was a real treat solo with the whistling...it was perfect. "Maple Leaves" was quite a mess, though.

nkotb said he made it but is sick. He didn't want to give anything to Mr. Marshmallow...I get sick easily with un beso grande on the cheeks.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2008, 09:43:00 am »
when i arrived at the black cat last night, first thing that i did was order some tickets for upcoming shows.  by the time they got my order right (british sea power & tom morello) and i headed upstairs, the honey drips were walking off the stage.  if he was in fact parodying the disinterested hipster, i'll bet it was funny for about 2 songs.  i'm told they played more than that.
<sig>

calecp01

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2008, 09:46:00 am »
The album is most certainly worth picking up, one of my fav this year so far.  While I found the self-depreciating nature of the performance entertaining, yeah, was a bit disappointed.  Being familiar with/loving the songs already though made it still enjoyable.

As for the not as great as last time sentiment -
 I'm trying to detach the aspect of it being the first time seeing Jens that last time he was here and comparing the shows on even ground, and I still think the last show was better.  Definitely there was this vibe in the crowd of holy shit this is so magical last time that wasn't quite there this time.  I think a lot of people there had heard how great he is live and went in with expectations unlike the first time around when everyong was taken by surprise.  Plus the outfits were cuter last time.  Still - loved it.  

Originally posted by Darth Ed:
  I actually kind of liked The Honeydrips. Not the performance, mind you, if you even want to call it a performance, but I do like his music. I checked out his web site this afternoon and enjoyed listening to several of his MP3s. I was going to buy his CD, but they wanted $15, which seemed ridiculous for an opener, so I passed. Maybe the high CD prices are due to the weak dollar-to-euro exchange rate?

So Jens was really great, but not quite as great as last time, I thought. The set list wasn't quite as strong (I particularly missed "Cold Swedish Winter"), and the crowd didn't seem to be as into it, at least not up front. The sing-along at the end was pretty much a disaster compared to last time's perfection.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2008, 09:55:00 am »
Honeydrips was entertaining for all the wrong reasons.  He kept saying "we are the Honeydrips."  I kept closing my eyes and trying to just listen to him to see if his music was any good, but I just couldn't look away!  It was a total train wreck.  Hi-friggin-larious.

I agree with the great-but-not-as-great-as-last-time sentiment for Jens.  I think a lot of the audience missed that show last year so didn't understand how to make Pocketful of Money brilliant.  Some tools in the front even laughed at the people who were singing in rounds because they thought they were off.  oh and did I mention that there were a bunch of tools at the show.  Even in the front.  grr.

But the amazing part of the night came after the show when Jens came downstairs and sang Julie a capella by request and then hung out and ate french fries in the cafe.  He told us he wasn't touring with the huge band anymore because he lost  *a lot* of money on the last tour because of it.  He told some funny stories and made me a very happy girl.  Joy!
PANTS