Author Topic: Jens Roll call  (Read 10069 times)

ggw

Re: Jens Roll call
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
I concur -- not as great as the last show, but still a very good set by Lekman.  Glad I skipped the openers.

azaghal1981

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
Marla Hanson was good but the talkative crowd during her set was overbaring.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2008, 10:38:00 am »
BINGO!!!!!!
<sig>

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2008, 10:45:00 am »
Are you saying that I missed some crowd nudity? Given who the crowd was, I reckon that's not a bad thing.

I missed her, but my friend said she was pretty bad as well. Said she's just not in the TP league. Not many are.

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  Marla Hanson was good but the talkative crowd during her set was overbaring.

ggw

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2008, 11:17:00 am »
Interview and performance at NPR yesterday:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89310593

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Interview and performance at NPR yesterday:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89310593
absurdly awkward interview ...
(o|o)

azaghal1981

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »
Most of his interviews tend to be.
احمد

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »
  Most of his interviews tend to be.
that one eclipsed basically everything i've ever heard from him on the awkwardness scale

i really liked the show, but i'm such a fanboy that it's hard to have much objectivity ... i think i'd probably go along with the consensus here that this was great but last fall's was better

if i had to pick nits, it did seem like on a few songs that the samples weren't synced up right or that they were a bit muddled, and "pocketful of $$$" could have been much better ... but overall it was great

oh, some ridiculously fucked up girl to my left kept collapsing in the first half of the show (we were stage right, about 6 row back) ... after holding her up a couple of times she told me that "it's those damn pain-killers!" and i kind of washed my hands of the situation, i think a bouncer came by and snatched her out of the crowd eventually
(o|o)

azaghal1981

« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2008, 12:16:00 pm »
Ehh...Its awkwardness is about on par with the other two interviews of his I've heard recently (they were all with NPR).

Hahaha MyraEllen, I'm like 90% sure your squeamish reaction to Mr. Honeydrips was the one I referred to on page 1. Was a pleasure meeting/talking to you if so.  :)
 How long did you end up waiting outside before finding out that he was going to sing/hang out in the cafe?
احمد

brennser

« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »
twas a good show - nice seeing sweetie and chutney again

MonkeyPants

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »
  Hahaha MyraEllen, I'm like 90% sure your squeamish reaction to Mr. Honeydrips was the one I referred to on page 1. Was a pleasure meeting/talking to you if so.   :)  
 How long did you end up waiting outside before finding out that he was going to sing/hang out in the cafe?
Hahaha that *was* me.  It was good meeting you, too.  Glad the Boredoms show was awesome.

We waited outside for a while until most people left.  The other three I was waiting with were underage.  Sometime after 12:15 I went into the Red Room to see if Jens was in there and he was standing by the entrance talking to some people and taking pictures.  I then asked the door guy if the underage folks could come back inside to meet him, and he was like, "Yeah okay fine whatever."  As soon as Andrew got inside, Jens asked "So what do you want to hear?"  Andrew asked for Julie, and Jens sang it over whatever music was playing in the bar and we snapped our fingers along and squirmed because we were so happy.  About mid-way through the song he realized he was in a difficult place to sing the song, so we moved to the entrance and then to the cafe where he finished the song.  Then he said, "I want to sign records now."  It was adorable.  Everyone was smitten.  We talked about his shoes and the keys they were all wearing around their necks.  He wished Andrew a happy birthday and signed the set list for him.  It was pretty sweet  :)   I was home at like a quarter to 1, so I guess it was all over just after 12:30 or so.
PANTS

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by MyraEllen:
 We talked about his shoes and the keys they were all wearing around their necks.
since you brought it up - what was the deal with those keys?
<sig>

MonkeyPants

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  since you brought it up - what was the deal with those keys?
He smiled and said "It's a secret," and tucked the key in his shirt pocket.  Then he showed us that they were all uncut keys, "but maybe someday they'll be keys to somewhere."  Right now they're keys to nowhere.  

I commented that he and the DJ and the bassist all had the same (white patent leather) shoes, but the other three band members didn't.  He said they got a sponsorship by this shoe company, but the company would only send three pairs of shoes.  After being on tour for a while, he asked for a new pair because they had a bunch of stains on them, and when he finally got the new pair, one was black and the other was white.  Then he told us a cute little aside about how he wore the mismatched shoes for a while.  Again, adorable  :)
PANTS

Driveway

« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »
I went to his NPR set as well.  It was pretty good.

calecp01

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »