Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2031275 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1005 on: July 28, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »
I frequent a lot of communities like this, although I tend not to participate as heavily elsewhere as I do here.  A lot of great stuff can come out of these forums, despite what most folks think/say.

So one particular case happened this weekend regarding my quest for the perfect sub-$400 laptop to plug into my Home Server based network.

Acer released a good looking new SSD (solid-state-drive [think Flash]) based laptop with Linux pre-installed, called the AcerOne.

With a lot of these inexpensive models, folks are buy them with Linux preinstalled and installing XP on their own to save costs (~$100).  A fair number of users were reporting more problems than usual with the upgrade.  Acer was virtually useless in helping solve the problem (they claimed that XP drivers weren't out for the SSD, which is a myth as drivers don't run the SSD) until a group of users broke it down for the rest of us.

Turns out that by sharing information amongst the forum, it was discovered that Acer used two different SSDs - one from Intel and and one from Samsung -  in their first run models.  Well, the Intel choice reads and writes at about half the speed of the Samsung model and virtually cripples the machine.  They broke it down even further from where the machines were purchased and what SSDs they got.

Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the US models (purcahsed mostly from Newegg) have the Intel chip and Newegg has started sending them back to Acer for the Samsung models.  So, if you're looking for the Acer One, I'd wait a little while.  I suspect the Dell UMPC will be out in a matter of weeks anyway which should drive the market price down even further.  Here's to hoping they used Samsung chips!
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1006 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »
I'm pretty sure Houston couldn't look any more retarded in this article:

Houston Resists Recycling, and Independent Streak Is Cited

A few gems as to why Houston chooses not to recycle.

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Landfill costs here are cheap.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">The city??s sprawling, no-zoning layout makes collection expensive.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">there is little public support for the kind of effort it takes to sort glass, paper and plastics.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Houstonians are skeptical of anything that appears to be oversold or exaggerated</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Houstonians have an independent streak that rebels against mandates or anything that seems trendy or hyped up.</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">a locally renowned chef approached a city-run recycling depot in her silver pick-up truck full of containers, she was turned away. ??They said my truck was too full.?</font></li>
  • <font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">Compounding the city??s difficulties is a contract it signed in the 1990s that requires 30 percent of residential waste to go to landfills until 2027</font></li>
<font size="2" face="Arial, Veranda">
  Meanwhile, their recyle rate is 2.6%, not 70% as would be allowed by that contract.

LA, twice the land size of Houston, recycles at a rate of 62%.

The effort to separate?  What year is it that this is considered difficult?

Trendy or hyped up?  Maybe in 1990...but in 2008, I'm pretty sure it's proven effective.

Re-tar-ded.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1007 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »
Angels Get Tiexera from Braves for Kotchman

I can only assume that the Angels believe they can resign Tex, otherwise this deal makes no sense in the long run.  Kotchman will be a great first basemen.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1008 on: July 29, 2008, 07:10:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Angels Get Tiexera from Braves for Kotchman

I can only assume that the Angels believe they can resign Tex, otherwise this deal makes no sense in the long run.  Kotchman will be a great first basemen.
they're gonna have to raise beer prices.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1009 on: July 29, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
Are they free in Oakland yet, or not until Huston Street gets dealt?
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1010 on: July 29, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
Are they free in Oakland yet, or not until Huston Street gets dealt? [/b]
no, but tomorrow is $2 root beer floats. . .
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1011 on: July 31, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »
  The Dropkick Murphy's played with the Bosstones at the OC Fair last night.

"What's up Angel fans?  We were going to play Tessie tonight but since the Angels swept the Red Sox this weekend, we're not gonna do it!"

I would have played it anyway and said until the Angels win a game against Boston in October, we'll play Tessie.
Just wondering if they're ever going to play it....
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1012 on: July 31, 2008, 05:49:00 pm »
Is anybody as excited as I am to see Manny Ramirez along side Andrew Jones in the outfiled in Chavez Ravine?

Awesome!  

That ball is going to roll and roll and roll....

Oh, and Jay Bay just went from favorite Bucco to hated status in a matter of minutes, but boy am I going to enjoy his fantasy numbers in Boston.  And to think I tried to deal him for Teix yesterday and was rejected.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1013 on: July 31, 2008, 06:45:00 pm »
Sprint early termination fees are illegal, judge rules

COURT: CALIFORNIA LAW FORBIDS EARLY TERMINATION CHARGES

I have so many thoughts on this I don't even know where to start...
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1014 on: August 01, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »
i've been partial to jack wilson myself, but hopefully they can move him too
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1015 on: August 01, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
I thought he would go to LA.  Did they put him on the waiver list?

If Man-Ram works out, I can see LA picking up Wilson's deal for the remainder of the year.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1016 on: August 01, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »
This is great news...

FCC slaps Comcast??s wrist over network neutrality; Sets precedent

The Federal Communications Commission on Friday ruled 3-2 that Comcast overstepped its network management authority by blocking BitTorrent peer to peer traffic, but stopped short of fining the cable company. The move clarifies the boundaries a bit for other carriers and sends the message that the FCC enforces network neutrality principles.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1017 on: August 01, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »

Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
I thought he would go to LA.  Did they put him on the waiver list?

If Man-Ram works out, I can see LA picking up Wilson's deal for the remainder of the year. [/b]
i havent read anything that says they have for sure, but the word (or maybe hope) is he is on the waiver list

cause really, the team is worth blowing up and if youre going to blow it up, blow it up right
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1018 on: August 01, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »
I hear you.

I also heard that Manny won't be in the lineup tonight for the Dodgers because the Blue Doo-Rags were banned in the early ninties because of gang wars and Manny won't play without one.

I suggested they contact Alyssa Milano.
27>34

vansmack

27>34