Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2030612 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1125 on: September 04, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »
BTW - the new Dell Netbook came out today at $349.

Meet the Inspiron Mini 9

Mine is currently configured at $409.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1126 on: September 04, 2008, 12:29:00 pm »
still with the xp?
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1127 on: September 04, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  still with the xp?
Which machine?  I'm ordering my netbook with Linux and doing my own XP install, saving $50.  I put that $50 into more RAM and the bigger SSD.  I'm still debating bluetooth for syncing my HTC Touch Diamond, whenever that comes out.   You won't find a netbook powerful enugh to run Vista (putting all the Vista recommended hardware into the machine would put it well above nebook prices).  The rest of my computers at home are XP or Windows Home Server.

I suppose if I wanted a ultra-portable vista based laptop I'd go with the Latitude E4200, but I suspect when it gets released it will be over $1000.

My desktop at work is now Vista (Dell Studio Hybrid), and I'm liking it.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1128 on: September 04, 2008, 01:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  When the Vansmack's and the Venerable's go wine tasting in Napa or Sonoma, Smackie likes to play a game called count the minorities.  The rules are simple: count every minority you see who is not working (ie, no limo drivers and no harvesters).  In many 8 hour trips, the highest I've gotten to is 4.  After three+ hours of the 20K people at the RNC last night, I got to 3, not counting Lynn Swann, whom I've never really thought of as black. Or Republican.

wife got to 8. . .cnn had 4 on their various panels though.
OU812

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1129 on: September 04, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

still with the xp?
Which machine?  I'm ordering my netbook with Linux and doing my own XP install, saving $50.  I put that $50 into more RAM and the bigger SSD.  I'm still debating bluetooth for syncing my HTC Touch Diamond, whenever that comes out.   You won't find a netbook powerful enugh to run Vista (putting all the Vista recommended hardware into the machine would put it well above nebook prices).  The rest of my computers at home are XP or Windows Home Server.

I suppose if I wanted a ultra-portable vista based laptop I'd go with the Latitude E4200, but I suspect when it gets released it will be over $1000.

My desktop at work is now Vista (Dell Studio Hybrid), and I'm liking it. [/b]
the 'larger hard drive' model i guess.

i am waiting for a full smackie review on this with some interest, truth be told
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1130 on: September 04, 2008, 01:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
There were a lot of repeats, but I will admit to not paying much attention to the screen while Rudy was delivering his stand up act - what an odd speech that was.

I'm surprised you weren't watching the Fox News telecast.  Wanted to  see the "hot chick" in HD?  Speaking of which, if a Dem had that button on, he surely would be accused of being sexist.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1131 on: September 04, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

There were a lot of repeats, but I will admit to not paying much attention to the screen while Rudy was delivering his stand up act - what an odd speech that was.
 [/b]
wife paid attention and noted that the same black guy and asian guy came up quite often.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1132 on: September 04, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »
  wife paid attention and noted that the same black guy and asian guy came up quite often.
Yes, I referred to them as token and to-kin.

Were you counting the classes?
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1133 on: September 04, 2008, 02:27:00 pm »
  the 'larger hard drive' model i guess.

i am waiting for a full smackie review on this with some interest, truth be told
So what you're saying is that, for the good of the board, I should go for the $424 XP model and get it this week instead of waiting for Sept 16?

Or should I hold out for the Linux model, use it for a day, review it, then put XP on it after the 16th?
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1134 on: September 04, 2008, 02:35:00 pm »
i am more interested in the linux model   :D
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1135 on: September 04, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
  i am more interested in the linux model    :D  
When I worked through my order for the Linux model, I was given an estimated ship date of October 9.  Given that I have an excessive amount of travel slated for October, I may not be able to wait that long, but I'll call Dell and find out what the hang up is.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1136 on: September 04, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

btw, i also didn't quite get rudy's speech.  i thought some of it was good, but most of it was just ok.  i thought huckabee's speech was excellent, and forced me to remind myself that he's so wrong on a lot of stuff that i would never vote for him.  

btw, i think cnn got some memo yesterday because during huckabee's speech about the veterans, they stayed focused on one veteran who started crying during that part, and, inexplicably, wolf blitzer asked everyone to stand during the gretchen wilson, cowboy troy, john rich version of the national anthem.

and i saw both kinds of class- middle and upper.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1137 on: September 04, 2008, 04:43:00 pm »
  and i saw both kinds of class- middle and upper.
You know there's a third, right?  Nevermind...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1138 on: September 04, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »
I doubt any of you care, but I have a family member blogging from the RNC for the Orange County Register.  Check it out if you've got nothing else to do (or need further proof that my whole family is long winded like smackie):

Pin the Tale on the Elephant

You'll get some gems like this...

Each speaker spoke to the vast experience of Palin, which created a dilemma for the convention planners since it caused the program to end 2 hours sooner than planned. Letâ??s be perfectly clear, she is over 35, she was born in the United States and is a US citizen, so pursuant to the constitution she is qualified. Throw in that she was a mayor of town of less than 10k people and you are on a real roll. Lets face it, the real victim in this whole situation is Curt Pringle [Mayor of Anaheim], who was passed over for VP, presumably on the basis that as a mayor of a city of over 300 thousand people he is patently overqualified.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1139 on: September 08, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »
This is one of those "now how in the hell did I not think of that" idea's....

Mad Catz Shipd first ever Rock Band bass guitar

That's not the important part.  How about a split strum bar for fast repeating bass notes?  F'in brilliant!

Pictures here.
27>34