Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2032383 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #795 on: June 24, 2008, 09:55:00 am »
NYT today on google news: At Google, Slow Growth in News Site

last paragraph:

??There is only so far you can go with an algorithm,? said Mark Glaser, editor at PBS MediaShift, a site about online media. ??In the long run, people want a human touch.?
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #796 on: June 24, 2008, 12:25:00 pm »
Sometime ago I posted about a web site called FabChannel that archives live perfromances from The Paradiso in Amsterdam.

Tomorrow, they will be broadcasting a live performance from Elbow.

Tune into the live video webcast of Elbow concert at the Paradiso - Main Hall on 25 Jun 08, 2:30 PM ET

If you can't watch it live, it will always be archived.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #797 on: June 24, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
  Sad, sad, day today.  And since we??re on summer break and I??m not going to get called into any foreign relations classes on campus, you??ll have to indulge me.  Or ignore me, if you see fit.

btw, i'm in full agreement with you. . .also, i would call out the u.n. a bit more (who, amongst other things, allows mugabe to violate all sorts of e.u. sanctions against him, in addition to allowing mbeki to dictate the conversation), but that's probably expected of me. . .
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #798 on: June 24, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »
I would only allow you, my friend, to go from "disband the UN, they're useless" to "it's their fault, they're not doing enough."
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #799 on: June 24, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »
  I would only allow you, my friend, to go from "disband the UN, they're useless" to "it's their fault, they're not doing enough."
i don't see a contradiction. . .  point b simply supports the more general point a, just another example of its irrelevancy.
OU812

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #800 on: June 24, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

i don't see a contradiction. . .  point b simply supports the more general point a, just another example of its irrelevancy. [/b]
not doing enough is reason to disband an org?  

governments don't do enough.  armies don't do enough.  churches don't do enough.  neighborhood associations don't do enough.  the police don't do enough.  businesses can be said to "do enough", since the only thing they need to do is earn money.
<sig>

Venerable Bede

« Reply #801 on: June 24, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:

i don't see a contradiction. . .  point b simply supports the more general point a, just another example of its irrelevancy. [/b]
not doing enough is reason to disband an org?  

governments don't do enough.  armies don't do enough.  churches don't do enough.  neighborhood associations don't do enough.  the police don't do enough.  businesses can be said to "do enough", since the only thing they need to do is earn money. [/b]
oh no. . i would argue that the u.n. has utterly failed at its task, and does nothing it was originally supposed to do.  instead it allows governments to continue to suppress its people, but cover those same leaders to attend food supply conventions or puts those leaders on human rights committees.

i certainly hope fifa has more balls than the olympic committee when china promised it would do more for human rights for its citizens and become a more open society- that's worked out well.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #802 on: June 24, 2008, 06:30:00 pm »
See, this is a team Pronger can play for...

NHL suspends Ducks owner Samueli indefinitely day after guilty plea
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #803 on: June 24, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »
  businesses can be said to "do enough", since the only thing they need to do is earn money.
pssst...
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #804 on: June 25, 2008, 03:02:00 pm »
I know it seems like I like to point out the flaws of the iPhone/at&t deal a lot, so I'm going to show that I'm not totally biased and pick on my own provider and how short sighted they can be.

So I have Sprint, have had them for over 10 years and love them.  I have very few bad experiences with them (unlike a lot of others) and they allow me to test their new products often.

I wasn't selected to test their new Instinct, but I'm assuming it's because I'll be first in line for their WiMax.  

Anyhow, the Instinct is the best iPhone competitor I have seen yet, and by far the closest thing I could get to the iPhone on my network, so I was willing to buy one relatively soon.  It's already 3G, is Exchange server friendly, has expandable storage rather than flat/finite storage, GPS, and is video recording capable.  With some of the slick touch capabilites and rotating screen that the iPhone made famous, it's not bad deal at under $200.

I cruised into the store and used the phone for about 20 minutes.  I liked it.  I REALLY liked it.  Great form factor, nice big screen, etc.  The browser is not as slick as the iPhone's, but was manageable.  So I asked the guy, how much?  $179.  Sounds good.  But here's the catch: You do not have to renew your contract (which is nice), but you do have to switch to a Sprint Everything Plan.

I had heard about those - $99 a month catch all unlimited voice/data/text/picture mail for one lump fee.  Good idea in my eyes, especially for the mid 20's generation.

So I asked, how much is the family version of the Sprint Everything Plan?  Doesn't exist.  What do you mean it doesn't exist?  Nope, you have to get an Everything Plan for both parties or one of the cheap plans PLUS an Everything Plan to buy Sprint's new iPhone competitor (no less than $200 a month for our current situation).

Smackette and I share a plan for around $120.  Some limited number of minutes that we never reach for $70, plus $10 for the extra phone ($80) plus $15 each for unlimited data ($110), plus taxes.

Anyhow, I said to the guy, why would I increase my bill that much to get your snazzy new phone.  "Because it's sweet."  

"But I could get the iPhone 3G for the same price, and keep my bill at the same level with at&t, which I can do in 2 months."  I could even get Smackette an iPhone and keep my bill the same (or maybe $10 more, but still not $80).  

Chirp, Chirp.  Chirp, Chirp.

Hey Sprint, way to take the first good thing to stop the bleeding from the iPhone generation and totally blow it.  This stems from decisions being made by people who don't actually face the situation in the real world.  My contract is up in Sept.  I'll let you know what I do.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #805 on: June 25, 2008, 06:17:00 pm »
wow... thats pretty stoopid on Sprint's part

it would really suck if they try to use the same stupidity with the Google powered phones that supposedly headed our way.  i read this story and decided i wanted one even if it did end up stinking  :D

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/magazine/16-07/ff_android
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #806 on: June 25, 2008, 06:25:00 pm »
I have been on the waiting list to beta that phone too.  I'm told by a friend who works on the project that I shouldn't expect to be contacted until the fall at the earliest.

If they're not beta testing until the fall...I wouldn't expect to see the phone by Christmas, but we can always cross our fingers.

Oh and yes.  I was giggling with delight when I read that Wired piece.
27>34

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #807 on: June 25, 2008, 10:57:00 pm »
looking for a new airline when traveling in europe?
  http://consumerist.com/tag/free-oral-sex/?i=5019706&t=ryanair-to-provide-free-oral-sex-to-business-class-passengers

While American discount airlines like Spirit Air and Southwest alternate between running sophomoric promotions and enforcing their prudish dress codes on passengers, European counterpart Ryanair has trumped them all with its CEO's announcement that transcontinental business class passengers will receive free "beds and blowjobs."

In a press conference, CEO Michael O'Leary discussed Ryanair's new transcontinental service, which will offer extremely cheap economy fares, as well as luxurious business class seats that include amenities like "white seats," beds, and oral sex.
nothx

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #808 on: June 25, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »
OMG - i'd never fly another airline.

but does paying for it tarnish one's membership in the mile-high club?
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #809 on: June 25, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »
  OMG - i'd never fly another airline.
Yeah, because your girlfriend would kill you!

Didn't bother with the link but I'm wondering if they will provide males for women travelers or the desirable partner for our Gay friends? Or is this just another straight male perk?   :roll: