Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 2029481 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1440 on: January 28, 2009, 03:51:28 pm »
That sounds like too much work.
What exactly sounded like too much work? Absolutely nothing could be simpler than HD OnDemand through any of the major cable/fios companies. I still buy DVDs and Blu-Rays too, because I like having a physical product, but come on, that argument is pathetic.

vansmack

« Reply #1441 on: January 28, 2009, 03:56:57 pm »
No, tech isn't for everybody.  I get one or two free dinners a week by providing folks with tech support so Rhett's response isn't that uncommon.

It's probably not as hard as he thinks it is, but it's not as easy your reactions are making it either.

If he doesn't have an HDTV for example, then I would say the tangible DVD model is just fine for him.

But my point was that it's just a matter of time before everybody has the equipment to do the download model and Netflix's new statistics are proving that the DVD model will be replaced sooner than most people think.
27>34

« Reply #1442 on: January 28, 2009, 04:10:21 pm »
I'm actually more concerned with getting my puppy to stop being such a pest, figuring out where the source of the leak in our garage is (and potentially another one in the attic above our staircase), and teaching a 19 month old how to sit at the dinner table.

As far as tech matters go, i'd love to figure out how to remove the adware/spyware that's causing nonstop annoying popups on my pc.

It's just a matter of priorities and time limitations.

No, tech isn't for everybody.  I get one or two free dinners a week by providing folks with tech support so Rhett's response isn't that uncommon.

It's probably not as hard as he thinks it is, but it's not as easy your reactions are making it either.

If he doesn't have an HDTV for example, then I would say the tangible DVD model is just fine for him.

But my point was that it's just a matter of time before everybody has the equipment to do the download model and Netflix's new statistics are proving that the DVD model will be replaced sooner than most people think.

vansmack

« Reply #1443 on: January 28, 2009, 04:21:04 pm »
Shoot the puppy.

Hire a fix it guy.

Put Celeste to work.

Then you can work on the tech stuff.  I'm a problem solver, see?
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1444 on: January 28, 2009, 04:49:10 pm »
seriously, call a plumber. sounds like your pipe fittings are leaking. could be the cold
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1445 on: January 28, 2009, 04:58:47 pm »
As far as tech matters go, i'd love to figure out how to remove the adware/spyware that's causing nonstop annoying popups on my pc.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - it's free and has successfully zapped every trojan that i've come across (including a nasty that Symantec couldn't get rid of).  reboot in safe mode (hit the F8 key repeatedly as soon as you turn on the PC, select "safe mode), fire up MBAM, select "full scan", and wait for it to clean things out.

you're welcome.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:00:30 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #1446 on: January 28, 2009, 05:09:50 pm »
i have watched streamed from netflix and i only now buy movies on bd.  difference is larger than lisa lampanelli's (nevermind).  netflix has glitchy stream playback "offs" with sound and speed, not delivering my full frontal need to experience every dash of the damn film.  like when you play a video game and you just have to get every fricking item/open every damn chest/wield the best weapons.  i still love netflix stream option for watching televsion shows i don't get to see and specials on channels about crazy topics (usually about space and gay bars in l.a.)  but blu ray forces you to want it.  there are tiny agents in technology that make you interested in being a part of it.  plus the 5 disc box set of batman films '89-'97 due in march, and the epic manga masterpiece, akira due in feb, sure help.

vansmack

« Reply #1447 on: January 28, 2009, 05:55:26 pm »
Good lord....

Putin-Dell at Davos

Micheal Dell, after praising Russia's technical and scientific prowess, then asked: "How can we help" you to expand IT in Russia.

Putin: "We don't need help. We are not invalids. We don't have limited mental capacity." The slapdown took many of the people in the audience by surprise. Putin then went on to outline some of the steps the Russian government has taken to wire up the country, including remote villages in Siberia.

Ladies and Gentlemen, your Russian leader, not the slightest bit bitter about the end of the Cold War.

27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #1448 on: January 28, 2009, 08:35:58 pm »
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #1449 on: January 28, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »
While I agree with the logic of moving the streaming to the 360 (or any device that already has heavy household penetration) rather than new standalone boxes (as we discussed in this thread back in July), I disagree with his assertion that the Xbox Gold Membership is a gold mine for Netflix.

Simply porting the software feature to a common device was enough to find that "goldmine" (do you hear me TiVo?), but if anything the Live Membership requirements are a hinderance to total subscription numbers.  Imagine how many casual gamers with Xbox's and no Gold Membership would also sign up for Netflix streaming, but can't or won't because of the Gold Membership requirement?

In truth, the converse is probably the reality.  Many folks who were on the fence about a Gold Membership or simply had a silver membership probably upgraded to Gold Memberships when they realized Netflix would be included (as it was in there pre-existing Netflix subscription).

Either way, it was a win-win for Netflix and Microsoft.  Count me is as one of the new subscribers (even though I canceled it after one month).  If blockbuster moves it's download model to its subscrption model (ie, not streaming, but an actual time restricted downloaded movie file) then I think that's going to be the real winner because the quality will be infinitely better than the Netflix stream.  That model is Blu-Ray's real competition.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1450 on: February 02, 2009, 01:13:48 pm »
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #1451 on: February 02, 2009, 01:30:53 pm »
amazing
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #1452 on: February 02, 2009, 06:44:15 pm »
Also amazing...

There's video on the Xbox dashboard (or here for those without 360's, but it's a large QT file)...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1453 on: February 03, 2009, 08:09:25 pm »
And to continue or end the amazing run, I have no fond feelings for NY, but I do love my LEGOs....

I LEGO NY
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1454 on: February 04, 2009, 08:52:37 am »
<sig>