Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1886405 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3090 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:55 pm »
What? No. Detroit is paying Texas $30mil between 2016-2020.

I updated it below.  I checked and double checked the article last night and it DEFINITELY said that Texas was sending cash.  I couldn't believe it myself.
Yeah, we posted within seconds of each other there.

This pretty much assures that Scherzer and Miggy are resigned long-term barring catastrophic injury to Miggy this year.

Joe Nathan in play?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3091 on: November 21, 2013, 12:56:44 pm »
This is insane they actually found someone to take him.

This is really the crux of it.  About 10 pages back I was reminding Arte Moreno that the Fielder deal is untradeable - happy I didn't tell Texas that.  He'll do a little better in that ball park, but not $24m a year better.

An amazingly good deal for Detroit.  Kinlser is no longer as productive on the offensive side to warrant his contract, but he's an upgrade defensively and with that pitching staff, that's a huge plus.  Detroit can probably trade him two years from now with a little cash and not eat all of the last two years. 

Texas on the other hand, will have to send a lot of money with Prince when they move him on, a a la the Angels paying Vernon Wells to play all season in New York.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3092 on: November 21, 2013, 01:00:30 pm »
Joe Nathan in play?

Before, the hot rumor was Castellanos for Craig Kimbrel.  With that off the table and a new 2B for 4 years, maybe the Tigers deal Hernan Perez for Kimbrel?

If not, yes, Nathan would be a better choice than Brian Wilson if they go the free agent market.  I just think there are a lot of closers to be had for prospects.     
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3093 on: November 21, 2013, 01:05:37 pm »
I'd ask why the fuck would anyone give Detroit Kimbrel, but then again someone just took Fielder so everything I know is wrong.

I think another facet of this from Detroit is that if you're going to have a gold-glove caliber SS in Iglesias, you don't waste that with a subpar second baseman in the middle.

I'm really happy this went down.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3094 on: November 21, 2013, 02:05:24 pm »
I'd ask why the fuck would anyone give Detroit Kimbrel, but then again someone just took Fielder so everything I know is wrong.

Maximizing return before it's too late (the shelf life for most closers isn't that long).

He's going to make $7m+ this season, which is more than any starting pitcher they've got, and 4th highest salary on the ball club.  With another good season they're looking at more than the O's problem with Johnson, probably around $12m for 2015.  That's not sustainable for a mid-market team.   
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3095 on: November 21, 2013, 06:07:43 pm »
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3096 on: November 21, 2013, 06:12:47 pm »
is that, what the world, has come to.  stern was correct, all these years.

edit . . . then i read the back story, and it made more sense.  is that, what my posts, have come to.

vansmack

« Reply #3097 on: November 22, 2013, 12:52:45 am »
As much as I wanted Jason Vargas back, 4 years is way too long for a junkballer.  Kansas City he's all yours...
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3098 on: November 22, 2013, 03:59:50 pm »
I really only hope that Fernando Salas is good.....

David Freese traded to Angels
Updated: November 22, 2013, 2:52 PM ET
By Jerry Crasnick | ESPN.com

The St. Louis Cardinals have traded third baseman and former World Series MVP David Freese to the Los Angeles Angels for outfielder Peter Bourjos as part of a four-player trade, the teams confirmed Friday.

In addition to Freese, the Angels also will receive reliever Fernando Salas. The Cardinals, meanwhile, also will receive outfield prospect Randal Grichuk.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3099 on: November 24, 2013, 10:34:13 pm »
I really like the Joe Smith deal - I had forgotten all about him, really.  Strange though as now Anaheim has $8m left and needs two starters.  They must really believe they can trade either Kendrick or Aybar, but I think that will be tougher than they think.  Or Arte doesn't care about going over the luxury tax threshold.

I was shocked the Cards gave Peralta a 4 year deal at 31 and a 'roider.  Great at the plate for the next two seasons, but he's not all that great defensively and after 2015 will be an albatross.  They seem smarter than that as a franchise.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3100 on: November 26, 2013, 12:08:56 pm »
Beastie Boys sue Toymaker over use of "Girls"

Legally speaking, it's an interesting one.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #3101 on: November 26, 2013, 12:27:50 pm »
I really only hope that Fernando Salas is good.....

David Freese traded to Angels
Updated: November 22, 2013, 2:52 PM ET
By Jerry Crasnick | ESPN.com

The St. Louis Cardinals have traded third baseman and former World Series MVP David Freese to the Los Angeles Angels for outfielder Peter Bourjos as part of a four-player trade, the teams confirmed Friday.

In addition to Freese, the Angels also will receive reliever Fernando Salas. The Cardinals, meanwhile, also will receive outfield prospect Randal Grichuk.

you should be honored to have a member of the great st. louis cardinals join your squad!

vansmack

« Reply #3102 on: November 26, 2013, 12:36:42 pm »
you should be honored to have a member of the great st. louis cardinals join your squad!

I am, I just wish it were two starting pitchers that they drafted out of high school.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #3103 on: November 26, 2013, 12:46:37 pm »

I am, I just wish it were two starting pitchers that they drafted out of high school.

i'm sure you'll grow to love your weak-hitting, injury prone third basemen just as much.

speaking of corner positions... is albert assuming the DH role pretty much full-time this season? what's the long-term trumbo/pujols plan?

vansmack

« Reply #3104 on: November 26, 2013, 12:54:29 pm »
i'm sure you'll grow to love your weak-hitting, injury prone third basemen just as much.

Anaheim hasn't had a power hitting third baseman since Troy Glaus.  High hopes for the untradeable Dallas McPherson and Brandon Wood proved to be incorrect.  We've grown accustom to table setting 3B's....ugh. 

speaking of corner positions... is albert assuming the DH role pretty much full-time this season? what's the long-term trumbo/pujols plan?

Supposedly Pujols going to be 100% by Spring Training and Trumbo is going to be dealt for starting pitching.  Despite what the papers have been saying about Bourjos, Trumbo is our most tradeable asset.  I hate to see him go, but we need starting pitching in the worst way, and only have $8m dollars left to do it, so we have to deal.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:49:56 pm by vansmack »
27>34